Biff Mayhem

What television series are you currently watching?

I've been addicted to Empire, of course, but now that they're dumping the great Jussie Smollett from the show, it just won't be worth watching anymore. 

I think I’ll rewatch deadwood now with movie coming. I don’t think I ever actually finished the series back when it originally aired. 

i tried watching that when it came out originally but after the first 15 minutes I was having a hard time hearing it... so I turned it off and never tried again.

I've heard it's good.

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

i tried watching that when it came out originally but after the first 15 minutes I was having a hard time hearing it... so I turned it off and never tried again.

I've heard it's good.

I liked it. I think the third season aired back when I had a lot of other things going on, and this was before you could easily catch up on demand or via a streaming service, so I never made a point to go back to it. I’m pretty sure I watched the first two seasons. 

But I also recall that it was somewhat surprisingly cancelled after the third season and left a lot of things unresolved (although I have also read that the end of third season still works).  Either way, that gave me another excuse not to invest the time/money in tracking down the DVDs at the time. 

The wife and I started Umbrella Academy on Netflix this weekend.  I wasn't really feeling it a couple episodes in, but we're about 5 deep now and I think we are both hooked.  Mildly surprised she got into it too, but happy about it!

My buddy loves the comics they're based on and is basically making us watch it so I"m glad it is good.

15 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

The wife and I started Umbrella Academy on Netflix this weekend.  I wasn't really feeling it a couple episodes in, but we're about 5 deep now and I think we are both hooked.  Mildly surprised she got into it too, but happy about it!

My buddy loves the comics they're based on and is basically making us watch it so I"m glad it is good.

Was just about to mention this one. My wife and I are also 5-6 episodes in. I really like it. 

50 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I liked it. I think the third season aired back when I had a lot of other things going on, and this was before you could easily catch up on demand or via a streaming service, so I never made a point to go back to it. I’m pretty sure I watched the first two seasons. 

But I also recall that it was somewhat surprisingly cancelled after the third season and left a lot of things unresolved (although I have also read that the end of third season still works).  Either way, that gave me another excuse not to invest the time/money in tracking down the DVDs at the time. 

Deadwood took me 4 or 5 episodes to get into it.

The second half of season one and all of season two is excellent.

Season three is good, but it felt rushed, similar to season two of Rome.

Deadwood is great! I may go back and revisit prior to the new film as well. One thing I remember from when it originally aired is that it would always take me a couple of episodes each season to re-acclimate myself to the way they talk. Not the cursing, but just the way everyone talked made it very hard for me to follow at first.

2 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Deadwood is great! I may go back and revisit prior to the new film as well. One thing I remember from when it originally aired is that it would always take me a couple of episodes each season to re-acclimate myself to the way they talk. Not the cursing, but just the way everyone talked made it very hard for me to follow at first.

I think I’ll end up surprised by how much of it I remember, even though it has been so long since I first watched it. I still find it interesting that the actor who played jack came back and played a different character (whose name I forget). 

Just talking about this has me even more interested in watching these again. 

15 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

It is my alltime #1 TV show.  Even ahead of TWD.  One more season to wrap things up and give a direction would have been nice which is why this movie is awesome.

Only so much you can cram into 2 hours though.  I would have preferred 1 more season, but will take what I can get.

I don't really understand what is going on.  The actors are not playing their characters?  

'90210' Revival With Six Original Stars Lands at Fox for Summer Debut

The network has handed out a straight-to-series order for 90210, a reboot with a twist of its former teen soap Beverly Hills, 90210.Original stars Jason Priestley (Brandon), Jennie Garth (Kelly), Ian Ziering (Steve), Gabrielle Carteris (Andrea), Brian Austin Green (David) and Tori Spelling (Donna) will all return. The drama is being billed as a six-episode limited series that will air in the summer. All six of the actors — who will play heightened versions of themselves — announced the news Wednesday via social media posts with a link to a video promoting 90210's return (watch that, below).

The new 90210 is described as irreverent and is inspired by the six original stars' real lives and relationships. Here's the official description: "Having gone their separate ways since the original series ended 19 years ago, Jason, Jennie, Ian, Gabrielle, Brian and Tori reunite when one of them suggests it’s time to get a Beverly Hills, 90210 reboot up and running. But getting it going may make for an even more delicious soap than the reboot itself. What will happen when first loves, old romances, friends and frenemies come back together, as this iconic cast — whom the whole world watched grow up together — attempts to continue from where they left off?"

Those Seinfeld episodes were great.   

I loved George's story.  He gets rich inventing the iToilet app that shows and rates the best public restrooms in NYC.  Loses his money with Madoff.  During that time he gets married and divorced.  His wife got half his money.  Then they get back together and he needs to sign a prenup so that he doesn't get that money.

That also led to maybe the best scene ever... the girl with the rash.

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

I loved George's story.  He gets rich inventing the iToilet app that shows and rates the best public restrooms in NYC.  Loses his money with Madoff.  During that time he gets married and divorced.  His wife got half his money.  Then they get back together and he needs to sign a prenup so that he doesn't get that money.

interesting that you highlight those lines. I was not a big Seinfeld fan but hasn't Jerry always maintained that the show was supposed to be comedy about 'nothing'. Those are definitely somethings. Maybe Jerry Seinfeld's sensibility vs Larry David's showing in George's stories.

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

The look on Jerry's face kills me every time. Absolute gold! The joke Funk tells is pretty great as well. 

I was a big fan of the books and the show is not doing too bad of a job on the TV adaptation.  

The Passage

I was not a huge fan of some of the liberties they took when they cast some of the characters.  As usual they changes sexes/races etc for more than a couple which is often jarring for those who read the books, but I have come around on both of the most jarring to me...Babcock and Amy.  The Amy one took longer to come around on, but the girl who plays her on the TV show is darling and I caved eventually.  Babcock is killing her character, at least I think she is.

Derry Girls on Netflix is freaking hilarious. It’s a Channel 4 sitcom about four girls and a wee English lad who go to an all-girls Catholic school in 1990s Northern Ireland with The Troubles looming in the background. Well cast, well written, great performances, especially the nun principal (or headmistress or whatever they call it over there). You’ll probably need the subtitles, though. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Derry Girls on Netflix is freaking hilarious. It’s a Channel 4 sitcom about four girls and a wee English lad who go to an all-girls Catholic school in 1990s Northern Ireland with The Troubles looming in the background. Well cast, well written, great performances, especially the nun principal (or headmistress or whatever they call it over there). You’ll probably need the subtitles, though. 

It is quite good. Just watched the first 3 episodes after your suggestion. It's kind of an Irish girl version of Curb. 

• Like 1

Finally watched the Ted Bundy documentary series on Netflix.....

I'm personally against the Death Penalty. Having said that, I get why people were excited about the fact that Ol' Sparky was lit up for him. 

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Finally watched the Ted Bundy documentary series on Netflix.....

I'm personally against the Death Penalty. Having said that, I get why people were excited about the fact that Ol' Sparky was lit up for him. 

Yup. Should have given it to the departments who weren't interested in sharing information about him as well. 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:50 PM, Yoda said:

It is quite good. Just watched the first 3 episodes after your suggestion. It's kind of an Irish girl version of Curb. 

Just finished up the series. Episode 5 is particularly cracker.