Biff Mayhem

What television series are you currently watching?

The Man In the High Castle comes back to Amazon tomorrow. I love this series but it's been so long since it's been on, it's hard to remember what has happened, except for the top-level stuff. Maybe this will help.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Black Mirror coming back at the end of December and there will be an episode where YOU get to choose what the protagonist does.  

I like it.  I always liked those adventure books where you could pick what they do and you turn to 'x' page for this and 'x' page for that decision etc.

The only thing I think would be even cooler is if they did not allow you to see the other option...after you pick the other option is not available any longer....I have no idea if you can or can not or how they are going to do it at all, but I do like the idea.

Prediction: both options presented result in the same ultimate fate for the protagonist.

11 hours ago, Shelton said:

Prediction: both options presented result in the same ultimate fate for the protagonist.

I disagree, but all options will end up badly.   Differently, but badly. 

The "San Juinpero" episode of Black Mirror had a happy ending.   Has any other episode?   The White Christmas ending was just horrible on about 5 different levels.  

Some of the things on this show I can see happening and in the not-too-distant future.    "Nosedive" - I can see that happening in the next decade.  

On 10/5/2018 at 11:30 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

The "San Juinpero" episode of Black Mirror had a happy ending.   Has any other episode?   The White Christmas ending was just horrible on about 5 different levels.  

Some of the things on this show I can see happening and in the not-too-distant future.    "Nosedive" - I can see that happening in the next decade.  

Hang the DJ had a happy ending.

That is the only other one I can think of though.  I REALLY enjoy this show because I can also see most of these horrors coming true at some point in our history.  Unlike The Twilight Zone...this show almost exclusively uses tech as the bad guy.  Tech is accelerating at an exponential rate.  They do not really rely on 'monsters or aliens etc', it is all about humanity and the tech they created.

Shut up and dance had a happy ending. 

Black museum had a happy ending. 

Hated in the nation had a happy ending. 

USS Callister had a happy ending.

The Kids Are Alright on ABC looked pretty good in its initial episode. I know, network shows will never be as good as cable shows, but this was a very enjoyably watchable show on its own merits. Give it a look next Tuesday.

20 hours ago, chasfh said:

The Kids Are Alright on ABC looked pretty good in its initial episode. I know, network shows will never be as good as cable shows, but this was a very enjoyably watchable show on its own merits. Give it a look next Tuesday.

You mean The Wonder Years 2 ?  

Watched the first episode of The Haunting of Hill House yesterday.  I liked the pacing and the story telling.  There was just enough freaky going on in the background to keep me interested, but the story so far seems very compelling IMO..it was weird seeing Carla Gugino and Henry Thomas play husband and wife when in Geralds game Henry was the molesting dad to her young character.

I liked how it was shot.  I like where the story seems to be going.  I like how they showed the beginning as it basically sets up the entire series...kind of throws you right into it, but it is a short sequence with just enough to make you interested.  I am sure there is much more to come from that night.

Making a Murderer is back. 

This dude definitely killed that girl, but damn that first season was interesting tv. 

Yeah, I don't know what they can do to recapture the magic, especially since the hot reporter is long gone.

rs-223361-levy.jpg?crop=900:600&width=14

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I don't know what they can do to recapture the magic, especially since the hot reporter is long gone.

rs-223361-levy.jpg?crop=900:600&width=14

She got her 15 minutes from that for sure. 

Steve Avery killed that girl. 

I understand that it's probably super uncool to watch the new Murphy Brown, because all the critics were saying it was lame. We sampled it anyway, and they're right: it's lame. The writing style is stuck in 1988, especially the way they punch you square in the nose, the delivery of those jokes is stiff and awkward, and the laugh track they Foleyed in goes off at inappropriate times.

Beyond that, there's something that really struck me as we watched their MeToo episode, in which Murphy, emboldened after attending a sexual harassment seminar at work, goes back to her college and confronts her journalism professor about the near-rape he perpetrated on her. It's fair to assume the whole purpose of the episode was to demonstrate how woke the series is in dealing with inappropriate behavior, right?

Yet, the B story involved Miles, the producer, having attended the same seminar, was stressing out about how to ask out a cute assistant in the research department without exposing himself to allegations. At the end of the episode, she tells Miles she's taking a job elsewhere, which he is relieved to hear, so he asks her out to dinner and she smiles coquettishly and says she'd love to, then she exits the scene. Happy ending, right.

The Miles character is in his mid 50s. The research assistant is in her mid 20s. It all seems very, very Woody Allenish.

Who thinks it's still completely appropriate to highlight a romantic story about a 55 year old man asking out a 25 year old woman, as though it were a completely normal, everyday circumstance viewers would enjoy and root for? Apparently, Diane English, a woman in her 70s who's still a shooter in Hollywood, thinks so.

Ewww.

Personally I am more put off by the hand wringing over whether asking someone out could lead to a lawsuit.

I realize I live in cow country, but I have never known anyone to be vindictive towards someone else if they are asked out in a polite manner.  I get she probably be skeeved out and turn the older gentleman down, but that is a far cry from making false allegations because she was creeped out.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:53 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The one mid-20 something woman in my department is engaged to a 48 year old man.  FWIW.

Nice!

The only true TV series I watch is Better Call Saul, and the only reason I watch that is because I loved Breaking Bad. It's okay, but not Earth shattering.

Most of what I watch are the Alaskan shows and Naked and Afraid. About 20 years ago I started reading about Alaska and really want to live a year somewhere in the state sometime during my lifetime. It seems my interest in the state started a few years before all of these Alaskan TV shows came out on the market - Life Below Zero and The Last Alaskans being my two favorites. I'll watch the show about the Kilchers in Alaska as well, but I've kind of lost interest in that one a bit.

Finally caught up on the new season of South Park.   So great, the past 2 episodes parodying the climate change deniers were hilarious.  

You can watch the first 5 minutes of George RR Martin's SciFi show Nightflyers. But this could be interesting, I don't know much about it.