Biff Mayhem

What television series are you currently watching?

Season 1 of the Handmaid's Tale was excellent.

I would have been fine with it only being one season as I think? that it roughly covered the source material, but certainly look forward to season 2.

The Defiant Ones was pretty good.  

It's about the relationship between Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine.

Probably not for you if you're not a Dre or N.W.A. fan.  

• Like 1

So, there is a show on Netflix called friends from college that has been almost unanimously panned and described as bad. Regardless, I have been watching it. 

I can see where the reviews are coming from. The people on the show are all very annoying and bad people. It's not entirely fun to watch them. But in a way, I kind of feel like that is the point of the show. I don't think we are expected to relate to any of these characters, and to the extent that we do, I think it's intended to make you feel bad. 

That isn't exactly a feel good comedy success. 

That said, I find it interesting to watch these people and wonder why they would be so awful. 

It isn't quite like you're the worst. That show makes you see these flawed people and understand where they are coming from. In a way, you can see them growing, or at least understanding what makes them the worst. 

This Netflix show doesn't really have that. But it's also about a group of friends that effectively shut out anyone that isn't part of the group. In way that seems fitting, because it's almost as if the viewer becomes shut out, too. 

I don't know if the show intended it to be this way, and I doubt they creators expected the negative reviews to be so negative. But I still think there is something here worth watching.  

Slow day at the office and I've been meaning to ask if anyone else has been watching Blood Drive on the SYFY network.

I really am having a hard time trying to describe it. The show is similar in style to Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse from a few years ago. Hot chicks, lots of blood, bizarre characters....

After the first episode I was like, "What the **** did I just watch? And how is this on regular cable?"

I haven't missed an episode yet.

According to Deadline, the streaming service [Hulu] announced today that they’ve struck a deal with 20th Century Fox Television Distribution which will result in the addition of nearly 3,000 episodes of “hit and classic comedies and dramas” to its roster. That includes all eleven seasons of the war dramedy M*A*S*H (which was one of the highest-rated shows in television history), as well as the influential ’90s cop series NYPD Blue, which laid the groundwork for the gritty, realistic dramas that sprang up during TV’s second Golden Age.

Hill Street Blues and The Bob Newhart Show will also be available in full, as will every episode of more modern shows like How I Met Your Mother, Burn Notice, Bones, GleeRaising Hope, The Bernie Mac Show, Better Off Ted, Reba, Life in Pieces, White Collar, The Practice, Don’t Trust the B— in Apartment 23, The Grinder, Blue Collar, Saving Grace, Lie to Me, Graceland, Dollhouse, Wilfred, and The Glades. That’s a lot of television to sift through.

And don’t forget about Fox’s animated properties, some of which are also represented in this deal. Series like Bob’s Burgers, Futurama, American Dad! and The Cleveland Show will all make the jump to Hulu as well.

I enjoyed the first episode of Ozark on Netflix.

Jason Bateman and Laura Linney star. 

I don't want to give anything away, but Bateman launders money for a Mexican cartel and of course things go a bit sideways.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:39 AM, Deleterious said:

First episode of GLOW was decent.

I recommend you skip it if Alison Brie topless offends you.

As a big fan of Community, this does the opposite of offend.

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

I've heard the castlevania series on Netflix is good. 

wut?  I wasn't even aware such a series was a concept let alone an actual show.

Prolly doesn't help that I live under a rock.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

wut?  I wasn't even aware such a series was a concept let alone an actual show.

Prolly doesn't help that I live under a rock.

It's animated. I think there are four 25 minute episodes or something in the initial season. I think a second season was ordered. It's been out for a few weeks now. 

I just looked into it after your post.  Apparently it is based on Castlevania III but there is no wall chicken.

Not sure how I feel about no wall chicken, because, well, not sure how that would work on a show.  OTOH, love you, wall chicken.

Has anyone seen The Keepers on Netflix? It's another crime documentary, about a murdered nun in 1969. It focuses on one of the priests. A couple of episodes in it's fairly traumatic and sickening.

Netflix picked up Ozark for season 2.

I think I also read that NBC picked up a second season of that Will & Grace reboot.  Interesting since nothing from season 1 has even aired yet.  

On 8/16/2017 at 8:38 AM, Deleterious said:

Netflix picked up Ozark for season 2.

I think I also read that NBC picked up a second season of that Will & Grace reboot.  Interesting since nothing from season 1 has even aired yet.  

Ozark is pretty dope

Finished Ozark last night. Entertaining, for what it is. Has its problems but Bateman was really good. 

I just finished season 1 of The Crown and it was solid. 

Watched the first episode of Ozark last night, Bateman delivers. Morales has always been under-exposed, great actor. 

We're six episodes into The Defenders. If you like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, you should like this. The guy who plays Iron Fist is definitely the weak link. Terrible actor. 

This early in we've had a couple of "holy crap" moments. Marvel and Netflix have done very well with this and other series (other than Iron Fist - we didn't even bother to finish it).