Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Latos deal may be falling apart...

@clarkspencer

Now hearing the trade is far from complete. Sources telling me it could be falling apart. Total confusion. #marlins

hmmmmm i wonder what's changed in the past several hours :cheeky:

Tom Gage ‏@Tom_Gage 37s38 seconds ago

to those wondering if #TIgers began listening too late, I seldom saw Dombrowski off the phone in Cooperstown - process not just starting

Also, I think we can now safely assume the closed door meeting the other night really was to inform everyone that they're just selling. They didn't just decide this today or yesterday.

Tom Gage ‏@Tom_Gage 37s38 seconds ago

to those wondering if #TIgers began listening too late, I seldom saw Dombrowski off the phone in Cooperstown - process not just starting

Also, I think we can now safely assume the closed door meeting the other night really was to inform everyone that they're just selling. They didn't just decide this today or yesterday.

And maybe he added something like, "Since you guys have been terrible after your hot start to this season, no one is safe."

Does anyone know how MLB salaries are calculated/paid? In other words, do players get their pay evenly over a 12-month schedule or are they paid only from March 1 to Oct. 15 or something like that? Just curious what type of money we stand to save if we move 4 or 5 of these guys.

Assuming we save $10-$15M by trading these guys, I wonder how that impacts what we do in the offseason. Does it free up that money to sign a couple relievers, etc?

Does anyone know how MLB salaries are calculated/paid? In other words, do players get their pay evenly over a 12-month schedule or are they paid only from March 1 to Oct. 15 or something like that? Just curious what type of money we stand to save if we move 4 or 5 of these guys. Obviously we'd save more if they are paid only during the season.

And if that is the case, assuming we save $10-$15M by trading these guys, I wonder how that impacts what we do in the offseason. Does it free up that money to sign a couple relievers, etc?

not sure how it's dealt out, but if you trade a player, you only owe for the percentage of the regular season that they played for you.

Latos is a free agent after the season, so that would be a pointless trade.

Yes i just saw that. Nevermind

Does anyone know how MLB salaries are calculated/paid? In other words, do players get their pay evenly over a 12-month schedule or are they paid only from March 1 to Oct. 15 or something like that? Just curious what type of money we stand to save if we move 4 or 5 of these guys.

Assuming we save $10-$15M by trading these guys, I wonder how that impacts what we do in the offseason. Does it free up that money to sign a couple relievers, etc?

I would imagine they are paid during the season. I remember hearing about Tigers players (1940's-50's I believe) having to take summer jobs during the off season to make ends meet. So unless it's something like a post season bonus or award bonus (look! I won the Cy Young and my contract says...) or something like that, I would think they are paid during the season.

PS: The money the Tigers would save would be about $10M by trading the players now. However another MTS poster pointed out correctly that it might also COST the Tigers in ticket sales from here on through the end of the season, so what the actual "savings" might be may be less than $10M when you weigh it all out...

Edited by STLTiger69

Unless it's to offset some salary. It sounds like the Dodgers are giving up little here and simply taking on $$. They are also getting the Marlins comp pick, 30-something overall.

That is, of course, if the deal actually happens.

I'm not against Latos. He's the kind of SP I think we could target this winter, so a 2-month preview to assess what he brings would be a good opportunity. That said, I wouldn't give the Dodger's credit for any value on the trade, they would still have to send a full package of prospects. But it could be considered as the Tiger's picking up some salary in the deal, because two months of Latos gets our ball club nowhere.

When you dump the $$ of a couple of useful players along with a first round draft pick, your club descends into chaos...

@masnKolko

Now not only are the Marlins not playing music during Nats BP, loud fart noises are coming through the speakers. I swear, I'm not kidding.

Edited by irvink

Every two weeks during the regular season. No pay in offseason/spring training.

And maybe he added something like, "Since you guys have been terrible after your hot start to this season, no one is safe."

"Drops the mic as he exits the clubhouse"

The Tigers can still fight for a playoff birth after the deadline for all I care. The Wild Card race is just a mess of subpar teams fighting amongst themselves to see who sucks the least. They can even go ahead and make the play-in game.

Just don't expect them to win another game after that. Thus, why I believe it's more beneficial to try and acquire a higher draft pick for this year.

I'm all for selling but as soon as they get on the field and the deadline has passed I'm going to be rooting for them to make a run. It's unlikely they do, but stranger things have happened.

Really, this situation is ideal for me. Rationally, they are forced to sell, and they are doing that, and the next few days will be fun and I will feel better in the off-season. But for the next month or so (hopefully) the irrational fan in me will still get some enjoyment out of rooting for the WC.

Same here. I'm happy they are selling but won't stop rooting for the wildcard until they are mathematically eliminated.

I'm not against Latos. He's the kind of SP I think we could target this winter, so a 2-month preview to assess what he brings would be a good opportunity. That said, I wouldn't give the Dodger's credit for any value on the trade, they would still have to send a full package of prospects. But it could be considered as the Tiger's picking up some salary in the deal, because two months of Latos gets our ball club nowhere.

Agree. It's highly unlikely but not impossible. The Dodgers are already past luxury tax so they are paying what... 1.5x or double on every dollar they take?

I think more than the higher draft pick, it's more important to have the protected draft pick. Because there's going to be some Boras client who got the QO that will be calling Illitch this winter.

I would imagine they are paid during the season. I remember hearing about Tigers players (1940's-50's I believe) having to take summer jobs during the off season to make ends meet. So unless it's something like a post season bonus or award bonus (look! I won the Cy Young and my contract says...) or something like that, I would think they are paid during the season.

PS: The money the Tigers would save would be about $10M by trading the players now. However another MTS poster pointed out correctly that it might also COST the Tigers in ticket sales from here on through the end of the season, so what the actual "savings" might be may be less than $10M when you weigh it all out...

I don't think ticket sales will amount to much. Most of the tickets for the year have likely already been sold. The walkups and people who purchase for the last two months is probably a pretty low number. Concessions and parking will take a hit, but I'm not sure when you add up those three things i equals a million bucks lost.

I think more than the higher draft pick, it's more important to have the protected draft pick. Because there's going to be some Boras client who got the QO that will be calling Illitch this winter.

That's the whole point in rooting for the top 10 draft pick.

Same here. I'm happy they are selling but won't stop rooting for the wildcard until they are mathematically eliminated.

I will be rooting for the Wild Card or Bottom 10. Basically rooting against anything in between.

I will be rooting for the Wild Card or Bottom 10. Basically rooting against anything in between.

That makes sense, although it's hard to root for both at the same time.

Every two weeks during the regular season. No pay in offseason/spring training.

Thanks. So with that being the case, the total salary of our 6 free-agents-to-be is $53.15M. There are roughly 6 months in the regular season, so we would save roughly $17.7M if we traded them all, if my math is correct. It is true that our ticket sales will decrease somewhat, more than likely. So perhaps we end up with a net savings of $8M or so?

As for the trades, if we deal all 6 guys somehow, which I doubt, we might realistically end up with 8-10 prospects. I could see a scenario where we flip half of them for someone controllable. Chapman. Kimbrel. Tyson Ross. Etc. Depends who we get, of course, and we may not have the firepower to pull off anything big, but I think it's possible.

I'd like to think we can get 5 solid prospects from Price/Cespedes. So if we keep 2 and trade 3 for someone, not bad.

"Drops the mic as he exits the clubhouse"

The Tigers can still fight for a playoff birth after the deadline for all I care. The Wild Card race is just a mess of subpar teams fighting amongst themselves to see who sucks the least. They can even go ahead and make the play-in game.

Just don't expect them to win another game after that. Thus, why I believe it's more beneficial to try and acquire a higher draft pick for this year.

If Toronto can get a Price or Samardzja or something close, i think they could break away from the pack. O's could also improve with a couple of good moves.

+1

For me, it's a chance to know that Miggy can take his time getting back from his injury this year without rushing it. Give important pieces like Iglesias and V-Mart some time off too, keep them healthy for 2016 also.

Let's the "youngsters" play, see if Machado has enough moxy in him to give Kinsler a run for his money at 2B the rest of 2016. See if ANYONE from within the Tigers organization wants to be a closer for 2016 and beyond. See if any minor league outfielder is ready to take a 3rd or 4th outfield sport for 2016 too.

Lastly, the Philadelphia Phillies seem destine for the #1 draft pick, but why should the Tigers settle for a top 15 draft pick by having a so-so losing season when a top 5 draft pick is clearly within reach for a truly lousy 2015 Tiger finish!

What youngsters? I really don't look forward to watching the next round of Raburns/Dirks/Clete Thomas' etc. That makes Gose's questionable offense harder to carry.

DD better spin some magical moves.

Hard to imagine Toronto going all in for two months of Price, though. They aren't the kind of organization that makes those type of moves. Unless I'm drastically overestimating what we can get back for Price.

What youngsters? I really don't look forward to watching the next round of Raburns/Dirks/Clete Thomas' etc. That makes Gose's questionable offense harder to carry.

DD better spin some magical moves.

Yeah, if Yo and Davis are both dealt, it's going to get ugly in the OF. Collins will probably take over in LF. He has not been good in AAA, but he did well in his limited time here. He should get a chance to show if he should be in the mix for next year.