Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Never rule out a dramatic increase in payroll when Mike wants a star player.

I'm just curious as to how big of an effect it will have on a player wanting to come back to a team that traded him.

I don't think it'll have any affect on Cespedes because I think he REALLY wants to be here. It may even get us a hometown discount. Not certain about that... but I wouldn't rule it out.

And, I know Ilitch has no problem spending his money... but I don't believe he's ever authorized exceeding the Tax Penalty Cap. So I think that's our limit, no matter what. Which means two things: (1) We'll have about $45-50MM to spend this off season to fix all our holes. And (2) the more help for 2016 we can get with this reboot, the more it will allow us to spend big $$$'s on certain players like Cespedes or Cueto or whomever...

Hopefully Cespedes doesn't fall in love with his new teammates and gives us a fair shot next year.

Could some of the guys the dodgers just traded for be then be traded to detroit? I just grt the feeling latos will be a tiger.

Could some of the guys the dodgers just traded for be then be traded to detroit? I just grt the feeling latos will be a tiger.

Hmm... that's an interesting prospect.

Hmm... that's an interesting prospect.

On second htought, I think Latos is a FA this off season, isn't he? I wouldn't want to get him then.

Hopefully Cespedes doesn't fall in love with his new teammates and gives us a fair shot next year.

Trade him to a team with a lot of American players.

Fun with trade ideas...Soria for Mike Scioscia.

I hope neither has Psoriasis

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 23m23 minutes ago

The number of teams interested in Price will be greater now. That alone should help #Tigers, who hold the most attractive rental on market.

One reason Price market was depressed a year ago was because few teams could afford him in $20M range for final year of arbitration.

@BNightengale 19m19 minutes ago

The #Tigers knew last week they would corner the trade market with the best pitcher (Price) and best position player (Cespedes) available

The #Astros hate to give up prized prospects for a rental, but understand that #Price is a different story, and could pitch team to WS

@JimBowden_ESPN 9m9 minutes ago

Price entering trade market improves chances of #Rangers getting Hamels. #Dodgers #Yankees #Astros put Price at top of their priority board.

@BNightengale 6m6 minutes ago

The #Rangers now clear-cut favorites to land #Phillies Hamels since the #Dodgers would prefer #Tigers Price, believing they could keep him.

How often has a team traded a player and had that player re-sign with them in the offseason? It doesn't seem like something that happens too often. I remember Cliff Lee doing it a few years ago, but that was more for his kid than the team.

Not a huge name, but Jason Hammel did it this off-season.

K

The #Astros hate to give up prized prospects for a rental, but understand that #Price is a different story, and could pitch team to WS

39X

I might like seeing that after the fact, but I can't root for them to lose. I will be watching the progress of important pieces to the team's future such as Verlander, Castellanos and McCann.

I'm all for selling but as soon as they get on the field and the deadline has passed I'm going to be rooting for them to make a run. It's unlikely they do, but stranger things have happened.

Really, this situation is ideal for me. Rationally, they are forced to sell, and they are doing that, and the next few days will be fun and I will feel better in the off-season. But for the next month or so (hopefully) the irrational fan in me will still get some enjoyment out of rooting for the WC.

I think the window on bringing Cespedes back next year is still open, but like others have said, it depends on what pieces this reboot brings. If JV continues to look great and we get a couple of good cheap young pitchers for 2016, then I can see DD chasing Cespedes. If we need to sign an expensive SP, then probably not.

I'm all for selling but as soon as they get on the field and the deadline has passed I'm going to be rooting for them to make a run. It's unlikely they do, but stranger things have happened.

Really, this situation is ideal for me. Rationally, they are forced to sell, and they are doing that, and the next few days will be fun and I will feel better in the off-season. But for the next month or so (hopefully) the irrational fan in me will still get some enjoyment out of rooting for the WC.

This is where I'm at. Hope for a miracle this season, but expect nothing.

A top 10 pick would nice next year, but with all the FAs to be about to be traded, there may not be that many players we want or need that have the QO attached.

Already, Zobrist, Kazmir, Cueto have that label removed, as well our guys.

I think the window on bringing Cespedes back next year is still open, but like others have said, it depends on what pieces this reboot brings. If JV continues to look great and we get a couple of good cheap young pitchers for 2016, then I can see DD chasing Cespedes. If we need to sign an expensive SP, then probably not.

I think Dave knows the pitching situation and will make sure that either David or Yo's package brings back a good, young starter. Then after that it's just about getting value from the other prospects in those deals and the other guys we trade.

@BNightengale 2m2 minutes ago

Since the #Tigers ownership wisely adhered to Dave Dombrowski's wishes, #MLB execs say it's strong sign Dombrowski returns as President/GM

Yep...but if having them as buyers improves our draft position, then by all means.

Realistically, the only guy that absolutely needs to be moved is Price. Moving Soria, Avila, Davis and Simon is fine...but let's not act like they're going to bring back a lot either.

Cespedes is the wild card and probably should be the Price category. Don't mind resigning him but we can shift Martinez back to left, find a cheaper OF option and still use some of that money elsewhere.

If we can score without Miggy we can without Cespedes

Latos deal may be falling apart...

@clarkspencer

Now hearing the trade is far from complete. Sources telling me it could be falling apart. Total confusion. #marlins

Mr. KC Royal fan, Jeff Passan said the Tiger's window has closed. Yeah, we'll see how the Royals afford some of their guys coming up on FA.

Latos is a free agent after the season, so that would be a pointless trade.

This is where I'm at. Hope for a miracle this season, but expect nothing.

A top 10 pick would nice next year, but with all the FAs to be about to be traded, there may not be that many players we want or need that have the QO attached.

Already, Zobrist, Kazmir, Cueto have that label removed, as well our guys.

Agreed, it seems like most of the guys who would fetch comp picks are getting traded. We'll see if Leake does as well, he, Grienke, and Shark are the only pitchers I see getting offers at this point.

Also interested to see what the plan is for the rotation the rest of the year. They'll have 2 or 3 spots to fill depending on Simon's pitching/health/trade status, maybe that's where EJax and/or Blanton come in.

+1

For me, it's a chance to know that Miggy can take his time getting back from his injury this year without rushing it. Give important pieces like Iglesias and V-Mart some time off too, keep them healthy for 2016 also.

Let's the "youngsters" play, see if Machado has enough moxy in him to give Kinsler a run for his money at 2B the rest of 2016. See if ANYONE from within the Tigers organization wants to be a closer for 2016 and beyond. See if any minor league outfielder is ready to take a 3rd or 4th outfield sport for 2016 too.

Lastly, the Philadelphia Phillies seem destine for the #1 draft pick, but why should the Tigers settle for a top 15 draft pick by having a so-so losing season when a top 5 draft pick is clearly within reach for a truly lousy 2015 Tiger finish!

Edited by STLTiger69

Latos is a free agent after the season, so that would be a pointless trade.

Unless it's to offset some salary. It sounds like the Dodgers are giving up little here and simply taking on $$. They are also getting the Marlins comp pick, 30-something overall.

That is, of course, if the deal actually happens.