Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

I feel that way watching games... part of me wants them to win, cause I'm a Tigers fan. But part of me wants them to lose so that they sell. But I just can't root for 'em to lose. It's just not in me.

I will never hope for them to lose. It still stings when they lose like last night...even though I already gave up on playoff aspirations this year a week or so ago. I still have MLB Network on 90% of the time when the TV is on.

I believe if they stand pat (or even add a bit) they have a 20-30% of getting into the post season given how flawed the teams that are ahead, and around, of them are.

That said, as painful as it would be, I've come around over the past week to wanting to see them to sell for a handful of reasons

- I believe the reports on Chris taking more control of the franchise means the payroll will come down over the coming few years as they focus on their real estate investments around, and including, the new Wings arena. Note that I don't think sky is falling on payroll.....it still should lead the division in dollars spent annually.

- I believe Cespedes and Price will not resign (unless the Tigers are the high bidder) in the offseason and they have no reason to do so now

- With the payroll coming off the books (Nathan, Price, Avila, Davis, Cespedes, Soria mainly) they can still have the payroll come down by $10M+ next year and sign a premium SP FA in the offseason plus a mid tier corner OF'er of Rajai's ilk to play LF.

- I believe "the window" is there for them to compete for the next 2-3 years if they make good trades to add 2 SP candidates as well as a pen piece or 2 for next years rotations to go along with JV, Sanchez, and the awesome choices of Farmer, Greene, Lobstein, and Turley.

- Trading Price/Cespedes plus potentially Simon, Rajai, and Soria should be able to net 3-4 potential arms for '16 and maybe even a LF candidate

- The 8 in the field next year will be solid even with Cespedes and Avila leaving - 2016/17 contention is all about the arms.

I feel that way watching games... part of me wants them to win, cause I'm a Tigers fan. But part of me wants them to lose so that they sell. But I just can't root for 'em to lose. It's just not in me.

The games on the field take precedence over everything else in sports, so I always root for them too.

Clippard and cash for an A-ball pitcher that seems to have an amount upside. Solid deal for both teams I would say.

That's probably a decent proxy for Soria, if we are selling, this is likely what we are looking at. But it does make me wonder why we had to pay so much to acquire Soria last year. The club option wasn't worth that much to us.

That's probably a decent proxy for Soria, if we are selling, this is likely what we are looking at. But it does make me wonder why we had to pay so much to acquire Soria last year. The club option wasn't worth that much to us.

Miller and Soria both brought very good returns last year. Clippard has not been quite as good as those 2 were at this point last season.

But yeah, I agree, Soria and Clippard would be rather comparable currently.

DD & DD (Duquette and Dombrowski) both claiming they are in it to win this year, despite both clubs being below .500 at this point in the season. This is one crazy, upside down year.

I'm starting to get pissed. I know that this is Illitch's team, but they need to take care of the long term effects on the team. This team is terrible right now. Fix it long term, and fix it right.

Price is scheduled to start tomorrow. I don't think a sane GM can let him make that start. There is a reason Farmer was called up. tomorrow will be his 5th day and he can take the ball. I think Price will be dealt in the next 20 hours or so....

I'm starting to get pissed. I know that this is Illitch's team, but they need to take care of the long term effects on the team. This team is terrible right now. Fix it long term, and fix it right.

If DD knew that trading Price, Cespedes, and Soria would bring a good enough return to likely fix this team long term, he would probably be on board with your desire to sell. I think he figures what he gets back is not enough to give up on this season yet. That could change in a few days though.

If DD knew that trading Price, Cespedes, and Soria would bring a good enough return to likely fix this team long term, he would probably be on board with your desire to sell. I think he figures what he gets back is not enough to give up on this season yet. That could change in a few days though.

It's not his choice right now. Its on the owner. Greedy son of a gun.

Price is scheduled to start tomorrow. I don't think a sane GM can let him make that start. There is a reason Farmer was called up. tomorrow will be his 5th day and he can take the ball. I think Price will be dealt in the next 20 hours or so....

Do you think the Tigers are lying to people when they say at this point they are still in buy/win mode? I doubt they change in one day. Maybe by Friday they change their minds but Price is going to start tomorrow.

It's not his choice right now. Its on the owner. Greedy son of a gun.

I don't get the impression that Illitch is ready to go down with a sinking ship. I think they are generally torn on what to do and at this point, are going to wait until Wednesday or Thursday before making a decision.

Patience. They are trying to win still in the sense that they want to sweep a series and get close enough to where they can feel good about making a run with some additions.

I'm sure though that much of their powwow today involved final evaluations of potential returns for Price, Cespedes, Soria, Rajai.

Do you think the Tigers are lying to people when they say at this point they are still in buy/win mode? I doubt they change in one day. Maybe by Friday they change their minds but Price is going to start tomorrow.

I think they're covering their asses in case a worthy trade doesn't come about. I think that's highly unlikely, they're too smart to know take advantage of this situation and get something in return.

Anyhow, it serves no purpose to come out and announce they're selling.

I don't get the impression that Illitch is ready to go down with a sinking ship. I think they are generally torn on what to do and at this point, are going to wait until Wednesday or Thursday before making a decision.

I can almost 100% say they've already made whatever decision they're going to make. a game or two isn't going to make a difference at this point.

I can almost 100% say they've already made whatever decision they're going to make. a game or two isn't going to make a difference at this point.

I agree. It's all posturing now trying to maximize your returns and I don't think any mlb team is buying it but you just need to convince one GM

I think they're hoping for that 5-10% chance that they make up 2 games by the deadline. This series isn't going to change how good the team they have is or isn't, but it could still change the chances of making the WC enough that they'll want to wait. Of course tonight isn't helping that.

You don't let your best asset start a game for you 3 days before the trade deadline when your ship is sinking. I'll be stunned if he takes the mound tomorrow, but DD continues to surprise me with some of the moves he's made over the last couple of years. So who knows. But 9 out of 10 GMs with a team in this position with that asset trade him before he ever gets on the mound tomorrow. Not even a question.

yes

You don't let your best asset start a game for you 3 days before the trade deadline when your ship is sinking. I'll be stunned if he takes the mound tomorrow, but DD continues to surprise me with some of the moves he's made over the last couple of years. So who knows. But 9 out of 10 GMs with a team in this position with that asset trade him before he ever gets on the mound tomorrow. Not even a question.

Okay, but please get pissed when/if he actually starts tomorrow. And we can have that debate then. There's no reason to complain about something that hasn't happened yet.

Clippard and cash for an A-ball pitcher that seems to have an amount upside. Solid deal for both teams I would say.

Yeah, solid return for the A's, considering they dealt a good, not nearly great reliever. Keith Law called the prospect the 6th best in a good Mets' system, which means he'd be an easy top 5 in the Tigers'. Hopefully, Soria can net us something similar.