Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Nick Cafardo reporting that the Tigers are one of the teams in on Samardzija.

Nick Cafardo | Sunday Baseball Notes: Who should make the 2015 MLB All-Star teams? - Sports - The Boston Globe

I agree Price is a longshot to re-sign. He's looking at a 7/185 floor and plenty of high revenue teams could use him.... Dodgers, Angels, Astros, Yankees, Giants, Red Sox, Cubs, etc.

Replacing him won't be easy, of the guys mentioned, only Cueto and Greinke are in the same ballpark and I don't see how the Dodgers can let Greinke go.

Someone above mentioned the Samardzija/Hammel deal, which truly was amazing for the Cubs. To get a top 5 prospect like Addison Russell + Billy McKinney, who has had a terrific season too. If the Tigers fall a bit further back and could pull of something like this, I'd be pretty happy.

Nick Cafardo | Sunday Baseball Notes: Who should make the 2015 MLB All-Star teams? - Sports - The Boston Globe

Someone above mentioned the Samardzija/Hammel deal, which truly was amazing for the Cubs. To get a top 5 prospect like Addison Russell + Billy McKinney, who has had a terrific season too. If the Tigers fall a bit further back and could pull of something like this, I'd be pretty happy.

I think you want to do the opposite of what the Globe is reporting. They're reporting that the Tigers are "in on Samrdzija". I think you would like to see the Tigers trade Price for a pkg similar to what the Cubs got for Samarg. Me too.

Without Price or some unknown other signings, the Tigers rotation would be, what?

Sanchez

Verlander

Simon

Farmer

Greene

?

yeah looks like the worst to me

Nobody said they won't acquire another pitcher. Simply letting Price go in itself isn't going to make the the worst rotation in baseball.

Samardjiza is no Price, but he is probably better than his record indicates. Ventura is worse than Ausmus when it comes to leaving guys in too long. Shark has been hammered late in games a few times when he should have been on the bench, it skews all his numbers a bit.

Nobody said they won't acquire another pitcher. Simply letting Price go in itself isn't going to make the the worst rotation in baseball.

What team(s) would have a worse rotation than the Tig's after they dealt Price? Who are you thinking of?

Yeah, just look up: Ventura Volquez Guthrie Vargas Duffy lol

I think you want to do the opposite of what the Globe is reporting. They're reporting that the Tigers are "in on Samrdzija". I think you would like to see the Tigers trade Price for a pkg similar to what the Cubs got for Samarg. Me too.

It depends where the team is in 3 weeks, but if they're still just treading water, a good Price deal could make this season a success without making the postseason.

The Tigers aren't going to get the same package for two months of Price.

The Tigers aren't going to get the same package for two months of Price.

Anything's possible. Nobody thought the Cubs would get that pkg from the A's last year. And Price is better than Smarg.

Anything's possible. Nobody thought the Cubs would get that pkg from the A's last year. And Price is better than Smarg.

He also had a year of team control and was going to be cheaper. The Tigers traded a non-tender candidate CF, a decent young lefty, and a raw prospect for Price. Not sure why the asking price is higher a year later with no team control or draft pick compensation. It seems to me a good comp for a Price trade is Price himself.

Agree that matching the Cubs' haul is unlikely but a cost-controlled starter like Smyly and a top 100 prospect seems reasonable. It's really looking like a seller and Price would be the top prize and more teams could squeeze half a season of Price into their payroll that 1.5 seasons.

Houston, for example, is reportedly hot for Hamels but he has them on his no trade list and doesn't want to go. With their stacked system, could be a good match.

The Tigers already have a really bad rotation and only Cueto is close to Price in terms of available FA starters. The Tigers really can't afford to lose Price and Simon.

Team is never going to go on the winning streak they need to get back in this with the rotation they have. Dave needs to get 2 reliable starters and what minor league players do they to going to give him this?

Chalk this up as a lost year and sell.

Detroit is competing with 7 other teams that are well within striking distance of a wild card berth. That means a lot of things have to go right for the Tigers and a lot of things have to go wrong for 6 other teams. Something tells me losing the best player on the planet for a minimum of 6 weeks(and probably going to linger for much longer) and having 3/5ths of your rotation being terrible doesnt fit in the "going right" category.

Detroit is competing with 7 other teams that are well within striking distance of a wild card berth. That means a lot of things have to go right for the Tigers and a lot of things have to go wrong for 6 other teams. Something tells me losing the best player on the planet for a minimum of 6 weeks(and probably going to linger for much longer) and having 3/5ths of your rotation being terrible doesnt fit in the "going right" category.

There's only 1 team between Detroit and the Wild Card. One of the Wild Card teams is Minnesota who the Tigers have dominated and play a lot. These other teams haven't played any better so they apparently have flaws just like the Tigers.

Also, most of the teams in the Wild Card are AL East teams so they are just going to be knocking each other out.

A lot of things went wrong with this logic.

There's only 1 team between Detroit and the Wild Card. One of the Wild Card teams is Minnesota who the Tigers have dominated and play a lot. These other teams haven't played any better so they apparently have flaws just like the Tigers.

Also, most of the teams in the Wild Card are AL East teams so they are just going to be knocking each other out.

After they lose today, there will be 3 teams. If TX wins there will 4....

Minnesota is a much different team since the last time the Tigers played them almost 2 months ago. Come to think of it, so are the Tigers....

After they lose today, there will be 3 teams. If TX wins there will 4....

Minnesota is a much different team since the last time the Tigers played them almost 2 months ago. Come to think of it, so are the Tigers....

If Texas wins, they still remain 1.5 games out since the Angels lost. I know 1.5 games is hard to overcome in 81 games, but I think it may have been done before.

If Texas wins, they still remain 1.5 games out since the Angels lost. I know 1.5 games is hard to overcome in 81 games, but I think it may have been done before.

Youre right, with the pitching staff getting bombed 3 out of 5 games, they are a lock...

Your right, with the pitching staff getting bombed 3 out of 5 games, they are a lock...

The other teams haven't played better so apparently there is something wrong with them as well.

I also never said they were a lock. The only one suggesting they are a lock to do anything is you.

feel free to explain.

They can play even with 6 of those 7 teams and win the WC. They have to play better than just one of them. You said a lot has to go right with the Tigers and a lot has to go wrong for all of them, which insinuates that they're all ahead of the Tigers. That just isn't the case. It's pretty basic math, really.

The other teams haven't played better so apparently there is something wrong with them as well.

I also never said they were a lock. The only one suggesting they are a lock to do anything is you.

Other teams didnt just lose the best player on the planet, either. The only reason the Tigers are even sniffing the WC now is their 11-2 start. This team has done a complete 180 since and showing zero signs of recovery and its not going to happen with this pitching staff.

They can play even with 6 of those 7 teams and win the WC. They have to play better than just one of them. You said a lot has to go right with the Tigers and a lot has to go wrong for all of them, which insinuates that they're all ahead of the Tigers. That just isn't the case. It's pretty basic math, really.

Well i guess you failed basic math considering theyre in 6th place in the WC standings.

And my comment was based on the fact that on how far the Tigers are trending downward and are only going to continue to trend downward with the 3 of the 5 starters being terrible on top of an even worse BP.