Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Are people assuming that Price doesn't want to stay with the Tigers or that the Tigers won't pay what it takes to keep him?

For me it's a combination of both. I also think Leyland was a selling point with some FAs and Ausmus brings nothing to the list of attractions. Obviously I don't know what he'll do, but he strikes me as a guy who has a list that isn't just about money.

Are people assuming that Price doesn't want to stay with the Tigers or that the Tigers won't pay what it takes to keep him?

Both. Price hasn't exactly looked like he is all warm and fuzzy in Detroit. He's made comments in the media that aren't exactly 'I can see myself staying here the rest of my career'. I think it's about 90-10 that he leaves. Someone will back the brinks truck up for him. That is why I think we should move him at the deadline for prospects, as well as one or two other players. But I think DD is more than content to turn this team into the Philadelphia phillies- a waste land of big contracts and no hope.

Go ahead and call me an idiot (I'm sure you've done that before), but I refuse to concede the division title. The path is more challenging than it was at this time yesterday, but I believe this team kind find its way through Cabrera's injury and, in essence, he becomes the biggest trade deadline acquisition of this season.

If someone were to say today that if I accepted they could guarantee me that the Tigers would be a wild card team, no better no worse, I wouldn't accept. I want the division title still.

I still think they can get in the wild card if they are buyers. Cabrera's injury sucks but if its only for 6 weeks, then it is manageable and they won't struggle as much as the media might have one believe. He's only one player and he should be healthy down the stretch. Their lineup has underperformed to date and some guys could start hitting better and maybe they won't be as stupid on the basepaths and not try to steal so many bases. The way Ausmus has handled their base running has been atrocious. The pitching staff is just bad, but Ausmus needs to get away from the offense and let them hit.

They need a quality starter and reliever.

The reason I'm so concerned is that I think it's more likely Cabrera comes back in 6 weeks as a shell of himself and is ineffective. Like the end of 2013 or to a lesser extent 2014 and 2012.

If it's actually a grade 3 strain that's a serious injury.

If Cabrera actually comes back 100% then I agree they have a shot. If they get into the playoffs they can have Price and Sanchez pitching 3 out of 5 games or hopefully 4 out of 7 every series. That's pretty good.

The reason I'm so concerned is that I think it's more likely Cabrera comes back in 6 weeks as a shell of himself and is ineffective. Like the end of 2013 or to a lesser extent 2014 and 2012.

If Cabrera actually comes back 100% then I agree they have a shot. If they get into the playoffs they can have Price and Sanchez pitching 3 out of 5 games or hopefully 4 out of 7 every series. That's pretty good.

I think it's much more likely the Tigers' incompetent-bungler training staff shoves him back out there in about four weeks at about 60% health, with his speed degraded from "very slow" to "sub-quicksand" level, and he gumps through the remainder of the season hitting .275 with zero power (see 2013 and 2014).

I'd say we have a pretty decent shot at signing Cueto, Zimmermann, Fister, Latos or Price. One of them will take our money, because we'll basically be guaranteeing whoever takes it a role as our #1 or #2 starter next year. Though Latos at the moment is not really in that class. Gotta see more of him healthy before I would throw much money at him at all.

Yeah, that is my fear too. In those years, though, he was playing through injuries that needed extensive off season surgery. It sounds like he won't actually need surgery this time and rest will do him well, so it is possible he could look more like a normal Miguel Cabrera when he returns except much slower on the basepaths.

The Tigers will have the worst rotation in baseball next year if Price doesn't come back. I think they'll go all out to sign him.

Although, I thought they would do that with Scherzer and I was wrong. So, I don't know anything.

Fister is crap now. He made a mistake turning down the long term extensions that were reportedly offered to him. He should have gotten whoever Porcello's agent is. Rick struck gold.

I guess it's more the latter in my view. I have a feeling that Price wants to explore free agency, and this will be his prime chance at it. My guess is that he's looking for a Scherzer type of deal and that the Tigers are looking to spend a bit less than that.

Having said that, I don't think that the Tigers are completely out of resigning him. I guess if they were to agree to an extension, I'd be more surprised if it happened in the offseason than before the playoffs.

I'd like to see him stay. But I'll put the odds at 2 to 1 that he leaves.

I still think they can get in the wild card if they are buyers. Cabrera's injury sucks but if its only for 6 weeks, then it is manageable and they won't struggle as much as the media might have one believe. He's only one player and he should be healthy down the stretch. Their lineup has underperformed to date and some guys could start hitting better and maybe they won't be as stupid on the basepaths and not try to steal so many bases. The way Ausmus has handled their base running has been atrocious. The pitching staff is just bad, but Ausmus needs to get away from the offense and let them hit.

They need a quality starter and reliever.

I completely agree with this...JV, Victor, Nick and Avila have all been absent in one sense or another for the 1st half of the season, and they're still a little over .500. Heck, as improbable as it seems at this moment, even Greene could be a contributor again after a lousy 1st half. Get these guys in gear for the second half and acquire a good starter and reliever, and they could weather a 40-game stretch with 20-25 victories and still be in the hunt when Cabrera gets back. I still would NOT sell.

I guess it's more the latter in my view. I have a feeling that Price wants to explore free agency, and this will be his prime chance at it. My guess is that he's looking for a Scherzer type of deal and that the Tigers are looking to spend a bit less than that.

Having said that, I don't think that the Tigers are completely out of resigning him. I guess if they were to agree to an extension, I'd be more surprised if it happened in the offseason than before the playoffs.

I'd like to see him stay. But I'll put the odds at 2 to 1 that he leaves.

If the Tigers are not up for paying Price then they are basically dedicating this team to last place...because that means they are not going to spend the $$ to replace him with a similar level starter either, which would be catastrophic. Their rotation is currently in need of help WITH Price...without Price or a suitable replacement, they would have JV, Sanchez, Simon and ????. Sounds toasty.

If the Tigers are not up for paying Price then they are basically dedicating this team to last place...because that means they are not going to spend the $$ to replace him with a similar level starter either, which would be catastrophic. Their rotation is currently in need of help WITH Price...without Price or a suitable replacement, they would have JV, Sanchez, Simon and ????. Sounds toasty.

Maybe, maybe not. There are going to be several SPs to choose from this offseason. It might be worthwhile to see how the market shapes up for them. I think that they'll acquire at least one of them, maybe one of the top tier and one from the next tier. It just might not be Price as the top tier guy.

Would you prefer them resign Price and fill the last spot with a replacement level player, or sign two mid tier pitchers to fill both spots?

Would you prefer them resign Price and fill the last spot with a replacement level player, or sign two mid tier pitchers to fill both spots?

The former. You need an Ace to ride in the playoffs.

No reason to trade anyone now--we're only 5 games back with half the season left. If it's the end of July and we're 8 or more back, you might want to trade Cespedes and/or Simon. Keep Price, unless you're overwhelmed like the package the Cub's got last year for Samardjia and Hammel. Still need to restock the farm, so getting compensatory picks is not a horrible thing if he can't be re-signed.

I think the rumor with price is that he is going to the cubs. He and maddon were pretty tight.

He's going to get more than Max got. Tigers can't pay that unless they can trick someone into taking JV or something.

He gone.

So is Cespedes.

Id hope they still consider selling at the deadline if a good deal comes knocking. They will be terrible in the next few years if they don't start planning ahead.

The Tigers will have the worst rotation in baseball next year if Price doesn't come back. I think they'll go all out to sign him.

Although, I thought they would do that with Scherzer and I was wrong. So, I don't know anything.

Fister is crap now. He made a mistake turning down the long term extensions that were reportedly offered to him. He should have gotten whoever Porcello's agent is. Rick struck gold.

He turned down the extension because he wants to play close to home out west.

I think the rumor with price is that he is going to the cubs. He and maddon were pretty tight.

But there's no traction. It just people going well they were together in Tampa, so....

Without Price or some unknown other signings, the Tigers rotation would be, what?

Sanchez

Verlander

Simon

Farmer

Greene

?

yeah looks like the worst to me