Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Yes, and coincidentally the team is a lot worse than the 2012 team. Hmm.

After 79 games in 2012, the Tigers were 39-40. This year they're 40-39. Clearly they're much worse.

With Cabrera hurt.....all bets are off. It seems to me that anything can happen now. This has to be the first season in a long time that the Tigers have more questions than answers in the month of July. It will be interesting.

I hear that Fielder guy is doing alright for the Rangers. Maybe we could get him to fill in for Cabrera.

After 79 games in 2012, the Tigers were 39-40. This year they're 40-39. Clearly they're much worse.

once you've put together competitive team most sports the rest all comes down to injuries. Other than losing Victor for a year, which they bought their way out of, the Tigers have had pretty good injury luck the past few seasons - this year they are starting to pile up for the Tigs. C'est la vie.

I agree, the record after 79 games is the best way to evaluate a team.

By the end of the year the 2012 Detroit Tigers had a rotation of:

Good Verlander

Scherzer

Fister

Porcello

Sanchez

if DD pulls off some trades to get a rotation like that in 2015, then I'll say this team is just as good.

I don't know if it's luck with a guy like Cabrera who has never been on the DL before in his career.

I agree, the record after 79 games is the best way to evaluate a team.

K, then this years team has less talent but is better at winning games. Is this your point?

Also I agree citing the rotation is the only way to evaluate a team.

Also I agree citing the rotation is the only way to evaluate a team.
K, then this years team has less talent but is better at winning games. Is this your point?

Look out, I'm going to get mad at you for picking on me!

By the end of the season, the 2012 Detroit Tigers were much better than the 2015 Detroit Tigers.

Yes, the 2012 Detroit Tigers underperformed in the first half of the season.

Do you believe that the 2015 Detroit Tigers are underperforming? I don't. Pointing out that the 2012 Detroit Tigers had one of the best rotations in MLB, is a good example of why they were a team that was both better, and far more likely to do well in the playoffs.

If it makes you feel better, the 2012 Detroit Tigers also had a better bullpen than the 2015 Detroit Tigers. And a better manager. And, with Miguel Cabrera currently out injured, a better offense.

I'm curious if you have any argument in favor of the 2015 team, other than current record? In fact, I would say the 2012 team performed far worse than they should have win loss wise, only finishing with a weak 88 wins. That was definitely a team that underperformed. And yet, thanks to a great rotation, they were able to make a great run in the playoffs.

Do you think the 2015 Detroit Tigers are well designed to do so? No? Why is that?

Well, anyway, if record at 79 games is a good way to judge a team, then the season is over regardless, as the 2015 Kansas City Royals are far better than this team.

Then this years team is just better at winning I guess. It's hard to claim that the 2012 was better when such a superiorly-talented team managed a worse record than this terrible team.

Then this years team is just better at winning I guess. It's hard to claim that the 2012 was better when such a superiorly-talented team managed a worse record than this terrible team.

Must be their manager!

Before the Cabrera injury, I felt like the Tigers had a really good chance at the wildcard and even winning the division if they could add a couple of pitchers - one reliever and one starter. Hearing that Cabrera has a grade three strain changes that though. It's hard to be optimistic now unless he gets back quicker than expected.

The 2012 team's record only really matters if you think the 2015 team will win more than 88 games

Here's a spoiler:

I don't

Also the 2015 team will not reach the world series

book it

The 2012 team's record only really matters if you think the 2015 team will win more than 88 games

Here's a spoiler:

I don't

book it

WELL **** YOU

jk jk jk jk jk jk don't ban me plz

WELL **** YOU

jk jk jk jk jk jk don't ban me plz

We need some really good young players real soon.

I like our GCL and Connecticut players. Most anything above that we have is close to junk.

Must be their manager!

And look at Brad, he used AlAl in the 8th, switched to a sensible, aggressive lineup, got rid of Joba and Gorzo.

In addition to getting Victor, Avila, JV back, it's like we've also traded for a better manager!

I still think they can get in the wild card if they are buyers. Cabrera's injury sucks but if its only for 6 weeks, then it is manageable and they won't struggle as much as the media might have one believe. He's only one player and he should be healthy down the stretch. Their lineup has underperformed to date and some guys could start hitting better and maybe they won't be as stupid on the basepaths and not try to steal so many bases. The way Ausmus has handled their base running has been atrocious. The pitching staff is just bad, but Ausmus needs to get away from the offense and let them hit.

They need a quality starter and reliever.

If we fix our pitching, we will make up the 3 wins we lose from Cabrera being out EASILY. Miggy will be back before we've played most of our KC games. If we can stay within the 3-6 game out range until he gets healthy we are right where I expected to be.

Go ahead and call me an idiot (I'm sure you've done that before), but I refuse to concede the division title. The path is more challenging than it was at this time yesterday, but I believe this team kind find its way through Cabrera's injury and, in essence, he becomes the biggest trade deadline acquisition of this season.

I still think they can get in the wild card if they are buyers. Cabrera's injury sucks but if its only for 6 weeks, then it is manageable and they won't struggle as much as the media might have one believe. He's only one player and he should be healthy down the stretch. Their lineup has underperformed to date and some guys could start hitting better and maybe they won't be as stupid on the basepaths and not try to steal so many bases. The way Ausmus has handled their base running has been atrocious. The pitching staff is just bad, but Ausmus needs to get away from the offense and let them hit.

They need a quality starter and reliever.

Yeah, this offense was doing just fine without VMart. In reality, it's like we only downgraded from Cabrera to VMart. Which is still a downgrade, but it's not like we actually went from Cabrera to Romine.

I think our offense will still be able to hurt people. Ces, VMart, and JD are a pretty solid meat of the order these days, even though JD can be streaky. Kinsler is annoying, but he's not terrible. The rest of the offense is okay...average-ish, but not bad, unless you count Castellanos, who does admittedly seem to be swinging better after being benched for a bit.

The biggest concern is that we need maybe 1-2 more pitchers. Hopefully we can get one out of Farmer or Greene straightening things out. But we probably need to trade for another one. Maybe Jefry Marte stays hot enough to garner some trade value. He absolutely torched the ball in AAA in June...if that carries over in the majors, someone might bite on him...he used to be a fairly well-regarded prospect. Other than Farmer, though, we don't have much trade bait other than the guys we just drafted, so I don't know what we could get.

Here's a spoiler:

I don't

book it

Good to know. Everyone said the same thing in 2012.

If Price goes, they'll sign someone else.

I'm just saying that if money is the thing that matters, and they cannot be expected to re-sign Price (as many seem to assume for some reason), then who can we expect to get to replace him?

For what it's worth, I think people are speculating about Price's departure based on feelings/rumors about his supposed strained relationship with the team....IDK, I am pretty sure that if the Tigers give him the highest offer he'd take it....

...my main point is that they need to improve their rotation...simply replacing Price with another FA is not the solution for 2016.

I'm just saying that if money is the thing that matters, and they cannot be expected to re-sign Price (as many seem to assume for some reason), then who can we expect to get to replace him?

For what it's worth, I think people are speculating about Price's departure based on feelings/rumors about his supposed strained relationship with the team....IDK, I am pretty sure that if the Tigers give him the highest offer he'd take it....

...my main point is that they need to improve their rotation...simply replacing Price with another FA is not the solution for 2016.

Well they are paying him 20 million this year. My guess is one of the other pitchers on the market (Grienke, Cueto, Latos, et. all would be willing to take some of that money)

Are people assuming that Price doesn't want to stay with the Tigers or that the Tigers won't pay what it takes to keep him?