Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

the Tigers are probably going to be in 'lightning in a bottle' mode for the next couple of weeks as long as they hang around hailing distance of that playoff spot, just looking for the odd chance that something clicks for someone. I imagine they will make a number of low probability high potential payoff moves that may have little long term implication. Why not?

Agree, and I have been thinking about a couple things.

1. Do we claim Valencia if he lasts to us?

2. Suppose we are in a wild card spot or within 2 games of it at the end of this month. Do we try to make a little trade of some type to help our cause, or are we definitely, under no circumstances, trading to acquire help for this year?

Agree, and I have been thinking about a couple things.

1. Do we claim Valencia if he lasts to us?

2. Suppose we are in a wild card spot or within 2 games of it at the end of this month. Do we try to make a little trade of some type to help our cause, or are we definitely, under no circumstances, trading to acquire help for this year?

Regarding 2., it all depends on the cost. I could easily see the Tigers make a fairly cost-less move if they are a few games out. OTOH, I can't imagine they would trade anyone they think factors into the future of the club in a meaningful way.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

For the rest of this year they can control his innings from the pen. He's up to 104 + this year, last year he had about 131.

And Farmer pitched a lot of innings in college as well - over 300 ip in his three years, so I don't think they need to be too worried about his workload.

And Farmer pitched a lot of innings in college as well - over 300 ip in his three years, so I don't think they need to be too worried about his workload.

"Yeah but that ain't the big leagues son...."

I don't know who would say that but I'm sure some would...

So DD is out a few days after saying they were rebooting for 2016.

Today, Avila & Ilitch are emphasizing winning in 2015.

Does this add up to an August waiver deal for the Tigers?

Unless the deal is very minor, I'd think it would have to be something that could also improve the team for 2016. Is this where Shields can come into play? The Tigers don't have an appropriate bad contract to send SD's way, but if they take on some money and include Benoit...? Benoit has an 8 mil option for 2016.

So DD is out a few days after saying they were rebooting for 2016.

Today, Avila & Ilitch are emphasizing winning in 2015.

Does this add up to an August waiver deal for the Tigers?

Unless the deal is very minor, I'd think it would have to be something that could also improve the team for 2016. Is this where Shields can come into play? The Tigers don't have an appropriate bad contract to send SD's way, but if they take on some money and include Benoit...? Benoit has an 8 mil option for 2016.

I want Shields & Kimbrell... !

:grin:

Not that it matters, but this year's offseason thread set a record for this board with 7,487 replies, which was over a 6-month period.

This thread did nearly half of that (3,508) in a month. That is absurd.

Nava claimed by Rays, who I think were behind us in the waiver order. This disappoints me.

Saw that and thought the same thing. I'll chalk it up as collateral damage to the FO transition.

DD said the roster was pretty set after the deadline. Of course, he's not calling the shots now. But I'm not expecting any August trades or waiver claims of significance.

DD said the roster was pretty set after the deadline. Of course, he's not calling the shots now. But I'm not expecting any August trades or waiver claims of significance.

I think DD may have been willing/ able to move Alex, Simon and/ or Rajai in an August trade if the opportunity/ right offer came along. Which may have played into the "dump Dombrowski now" move by Ilitch.

I don't think Avila or Ilitch are now interested in any August trades of players... but may instead be looking to add a BP arm or two, if it's possible.

So... I think my expectations for August just changed. As quickly as the change in the F.O.

I doubt he was referring to the fringes. We'll see, iirc we have a 38-man roster + Krauss + Valdez + Zeid, so even assuming Cessa and Fulmer eventually come up, there's spots to play with. I suppose Lobstein might be back too at some point.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

As expected, James Shields has cleared waivers. Lots of big-contract players clearing waivers.

Not surprising - no one's taking that contract. Could be interesting to see if anything actually happens though.

I doubt he was referring to the fringes. We'll see, iirc we have a 38-man roster + Krauss + Valdez + Zeid, so even assuming Cessa and Fulmer eventually come up, there's spots to play with. I suppose Lobstein might be back too at some point.

We are not a team that plays on the fringes very much, or have not been under DD. We do not make many waiver claims at all compared to most organizations. Maybe things will be different under AA.

That said, if we could claw back into the race by a few games, I do think they could look to take on a contract of a player that had passed through waivers... despite what has been said. But I don't know that we can move up the standings at all given how inconsistent this team is from game to game. So I definitely am not expecting any roster changes at this point.

Not surprising - no one's taking that contract. Could be interesting to see if anything actually happens though.

If the lack of trades by Preller at the deadline is any indication, he'll be looking for a lot in return for Shields, and I don't think its a realistic bet at this point. Maybe if they fall further out of the race their tone will change? Of course we may be further out of the race by that point too.

If the lack of trades by Preller at the deadline is any indication, he'll be looking for a lot in return for Shields, and I don't think its a realistic bet at this point. Maybe if they fall further out of the race their tone will change? Of course we may be further out of the race by that point too.

In Preller's defense, Shields is only making $10M this year, so there's no rush, yet. He can still package him with an asset this off-season and it wouldn't cost too much more $$$.

I read also that he was offered Fulmer for Upton and didn't take it. That seems like a huge mistake at this point. They are not making the playoffs and they are not getting a better prospect than Fulmer in the draft.

Why not? I'd consider taking him. Especially if they ate a little or Kimbrel was part of the deal.

Why not? I'd consider taking him. Especially if they ate a little or Kimbrel was part of the deal.

Soo.....basically you wouldn't take the contract as is either.

It's 3/$63M remaining. He's not really worth that. You should be able to get basically any FA pitcher other than Price, Cueto, Grienke, Zimmerman for less than that average value.

Soo.....basically you wouldn't take the contract as is either.

It's 3/$63M remaining. He's not really worth that. You should be able to get basically any FA pitcher other than Price, Cueto, Grienke, Zimmerman for less than that average value.

The number of years and lack of a compensatory pick is what makes that contract more attractive. Remember that Porcello received an extension that is $20/mil per year. And he wasn't even a free agent. That might be the new bar for a #2-3 starter.

The number of years and lack of a compensatory pick is what makes that contract more attractive. Remember that Porcello received an extension that is $20/mil per year. And he wasn't even a free agent. That might be the new bar for a #2-3 starter.

Right, it'd be a great deal if he wasn't making $21M a year. That's almost half our off-season budget.