Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

I think Avila might clear waivers. Rajai getting claimed gives them a chance to make a quick and dirty deal if they want.

He's had 6 months to re-sign him and would have had another 2 months and 5 days.

He was unlikely to sign without testing FA, and now DD has the offseason to try.

Pirates with a good move:

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 2m2 minutes ago New York, USA

pirates acquire j.a. happ from mariners, pirates announce

Price is a top 5 pitcher in baseball, Cespedes is an .800 OPS corner outfielder. Of course Price was going to get more.

Price has a 3.5 WAR. Yoenis, 4.0

I was out of touch with this team for a long time before the internet era. So I've never experienced an in-season wholesale subtraction and replacement of players like this before. It makes me sad, like we're the ****ing Marlins or something

I'm with you. I don't think it's fun to see good players traded for prospects. That's what losing teams do. However, it is the right thing to do given the circumstances and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the prospects and hopefully get excited about them later.

Love it. 5 arms. 4 AA or above. 3 look like potential SP given high MiLB success which should give the Tigs enough cost control heading into next year to spend some resources on a 1/2 SP and a couple pen pieces. Other 2 acquired are potential pen pieces. Plus utility IF with pop (valuable asset and the org doesn't have another realistic one IMO at A+-AAA).

In exchange they reduce 2015 playoff odds from ~15% to ~5% and gave up a late first round pick. I'll take that. A good week.

@JonHeymanCBS 2m2 minutes ago New York, USA

michael fulmer is a nice get for tigers. but mets have to be thrilled. cespedes brings more punch than gomez.

I'm with you. I don't think it's fun to see good players traded for prospects. That's what losing teams do. However, it is the right thing to do given the circumstances and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the prospects and hopefully get excited about them later.

The Tigers are losing. They can win every year, unfortunately. Accepting that probably helped the org far more than if they didn't sell.

@Ken_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago

One rival exec calls RHP Michael Fulmer, going from #Mets to #Tigers, an “unbelievable get for a rental” (Cespedes).

Fuller was 44th overall pick in the 2011 draft. Of course, #Mets quite deep in young pitching.

The Tigers are losing. They can win every year, unfortunately. Accepting that probably helped the org far more than if they didn't sell.

I didn't say otherwise.

Price has a 3.5 WAR. Yoenis, 4.0

Elite starters are worth far more in the postseason than everyday hitters, especially non elite ones like Cespedes.

Elite starters are worth far more in the postseason than everyday hitters, especially non elite ones like Cespedes.

Factoring defense, Cespedes is close to elite for a corner OFer.

Factoring defense, Cespedes is close to elite for a corner OFer.

He's still just a corner outfielder. David Price is a top 5ish starting pitcher. DId you really think Cespedes should have brought in the same return as Price?

I want to see the Tigers go out and make the playoffs now. Just for giggles.

I want to see the Tigers make the playoffs because **** you Twins!

He's still just a corner outfielder. David Price is a top 5ish starting pitcher. DId you really think Cespedes should have brought in the same return as Price?

No, I'm just saying the value between the two isn't as far apart as you made it out to be.

The qo issue also increases price's value with the scarcity of top end starting pitching on the market.

Price is a top 5 pitcher in baseball, Cespedes is an .800 OPS corner outfielder. Of course Price was going to get more.

I think we did a better job at trading Cespedes than we did Price, given what each of them is, and the particulars around each.

There were a ton of other OF options available in the market, it was a 2-month rental, no chance that he extends before the end of the season, and maybe some rumblings of bad attitude from his Boston stretch. To get two very good pitching prospects from a deep organization like the Mets, was a very good return. I sure would have loved Wheeler, but that just was very unlikely. We may end up happier with Fulmer anyway, if he keeps up what he's been doing.

He did okay with Price too. But not overwhelmingly so, unless you are just a guy who believes in Norris despite the lack of track record.

Five potential impact arms for Price/Cespedes. That's pretty much the best you can do at the trade deadline.

Another good reason, but one in the same really.

Especially if you reside in Twinkie land.

I want to see the Tigers go out and make the playoffs now. Just for giggles.

That would be awesome. It probably means the Blue Jays are pissed then, which would be entertaining after they trade for Price.

That would be awesome. It probably means the Blue Jays are pissed then, which would be entertaining after they trade for Price.

Imagine the wild card play-in game between the Tigers and Bluejays. Price vs JV.

Especially if you reside in Twinkie land.

I could not do it. I would be a lonely SOB in Minny or be friends with all the artsy people who have no idea about sports.

Weaver getting ready to come of the DL, so this isn't too big of a deal but...

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 8m8 minutes ago

C.J. Wilson to the DL with left elbow inflammation.

Imagine the wild card play-in game between the Tigers and Bluejays. Price vs JV.

It's really not fathomable. Tigers don't have the major league pitching to put out a winning product. I'm not sure they can even avoid the basement without Price and Soria. They would need probably 4-5 pitchers to go on an insane tear for two months, and even then I'm not sure it would be enough.