Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

@JonHeymanCBS 58s58 seconds ago New York, USA

angels are another team that's talked to the tigers about cespedes, as @jonmorosi said. mets in the middle of it, too.

I don't think things are going the Padres' way today. And are the Yankees going to do nothing?

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2m2 minutes ago

Again hearing no traction with #Yankees and Kimbrel.

MLB Network or HBO or somebody really needs to make a "Hard Knocks"-style show out of the trade deadline deals that happen. Follow a club for a month, & don't let any of them air until after the deadline passes. Or maybe even after the season for hot stove stuff.

Wha....

Upton has had a rough couple months + about 50% more exensive $-wise than Cespedes + Upton can get SD a pick + Yo having a better season + DD has more incentive to deal him = Upton market cratering.

If Milwaukee can eat money on a low cost reliever, DD can to complete the reboot...

@Joelsherman1 15m15 minutes ago

#Cardinals getting $3M from #Brewers in Broxton deal, but $2M of it is contingent on STL not exercising '16 option to cover buyout.

If Milwaukee can eat money on a low cost reliever, DD can to complete the reboot...

@Joelsherman1 15m15 minutes ago

#Cardinals getting $3M from #Brewers in Broxton deal, but $2M of it is contingent on STL not exercising '16 option to cover buyout.

Buying Prospects. But everyone can tell me it doesn't happen.

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna 54s55 seconds ago

Hearing no #Angels deals "unless something fell in our laps," which probably means prices still too high for them. System not very deep.

Upton has had a rough couple months + about 50% more exensive $-wise than Cespedes + Upton can get SD a pick + Yo having a better season + DD has more incentive to deal him = Upton market cratering.

True, but I still figured he would be traded.

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason 37s37 seconds ago

FWIW, I don't think 5-day window would be a big obstacle to re-signing Cespedes. If mutual interest, not hard to find common ground ...

Zack Wheeler's TJ surgery was quite complicated, I understand. Wasn't done in the typical way. Is he really worth the gamble?

Zack Wheeler's TJ surgery was quite complicated, I understand. Wasn't done in the typical way. Is he really worth the gamble?

Yes. He's already throwing, and pain free reportedly.

@Ken_Rosenthal 23s24 seconds ago

#Reds had planned to give Bruce the night off, perhaps because of deadline. Does not mean he will be traded.

O's still working on something.

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli 57s58 seconds ago

Orioles are still working to make another deal. Deadline is 4pm

Buying Prospects. But everyone can tell me it doesn't happen.

It does happen and I don't understand why we don't exploit that way around the cap like the other teams

Marc Carig ‏@MarcCarig 1m1 minute ago

Been in touch with rival exec who recently checked on asking price for Cespedes rental: expecting elite prospect.

If Cespedes is not going to sign a contract extension with Tigers after the 2015 season, probably yes.

I think so. He has already had success at MLB level and should be a solid 2 or 3, as long as his health holds up, which is a risk. But probably less risk than taking a gamble on a couple of A-ball prospects.

Confirmation of the ask for Cespedes...

Marc Carig ‏@MarcCarig 1m1 minute ago

Been in touch with rival exec who recently checked on asking price for Cespedes rental: expecting elite prospect.

Bye Cespedes!

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 9s9 seconds ago

The #Tigers real close to moving Cespedes. The #whitesox involved but not the favorite