Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Hours to the deadline, Cespedes rumors everywhere. Jason Beck has nothing better to tweet than his turkey sandwich for lunch.

I think people forget that Cespedes played CF while in Cuba and started there for the A's... I don't think he's the ideal CF, but should be fine for a stretch run... I don't see how this is a big issue that the Mets are making it out to be.

Another reason Davis could also make sense for them. He'd be a great platoon mate for Granderson and handle some CF.

If Cespedes goes to the Mets, would not be surprised to see Rajai go with him.

The Mets have a lot to like aside from Wheeler. Still possible to get him I think, if we move multiple pieces.

The Mets pretty much have to trade Wheeler now. They hung him out to dry on the Brewers trade, and then a highly public Bruce deal. You can't not trade him after that. Or a good organization wouldn't not trade him after this debacle, but this is the Mets so...

Will the league office allow a trade of "players to be named later" for "players to be named later" from another team?

If it takes sending Rajai along with Cespedes plus eating the remainder of their salaries to get Wheeler plus other prospects...

Then please do it DD...

Wasn't Wheeler traded for Beltran when Beltran was a pending free agent and ineligible for a comp pick?

He was.

90 minutes to the deadline and the Padres haven't done a darn thing.

EDIT: This is either an incredible game of chicken, or they don't really have to shed salary like has been rumored.

If it takes sending Rajai along with Cespedes plus eating the remainder of their salaries to get Wheeler plus other prospects...

Then please do it DD...

I doubt it'd be Rajai, but I think Cespedes + ???? for Wheeler is how to get Wheeler. Maybe Dixon Machado?

EDIT: This is either an incredible game of chicken, or they don't really have to shed salary like has been rumored.

OR the Padres are going about it all the wrong way,......

"The Padres are trying to attach the contract of second baseman Jedd Gyorko as they discuss trades for their starting pitchers, tweets Jon Morosi of FOX Sports. Gyorko is owed more than $33MM through 2019, and has hit .214/.282/.336 since 2014".

Cespedes and Davis for Niese and Wheeler.............

Oops! I meant to add Avila to that package as well

Edited by roarintiger1

OR the Padres are going about it all the wrong way,......

Well they are clearly trying to make very complicated 3-way deals at the deadline, which I suggest is the wrong way to go about this. But who knows.

I doubt it'd be Rajai, but I think Cespedes + ???? for Wheeler is how to get Wheeler. Maybe Dixon Machado?

They want a RH'ed hitting CF'er, along with a big OF bat.

Rajai.

Or, much of what the Padres want to move, save for maybe Kimbrel, can be moved in August.

They want a RH'ed hitting CF'er, along with a big OF bat.

Rajai.

To get Wheeler, I think it'd have to be Yo + Davis + a prospect + eating $.

Or, much of what the Padres want to move, save for maybe Kimbrel, can be moved in August.

That really falls in the Don't have to Shed Salary category. Because there's no guarantee that they can shed it in August.

That really falls in the Don't have to Shed Salary category. Because there's no guarantee that they can shed it in August.

They almost have to trade Upton in 70 minutes. They could wait on Shields and Gyorko, but couldn't package them with anybody until the off-season. They can still keep Ross, Cashner, Kimbrel without problems.

hmmmm....

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 2m2 minutes ago

I talked to a #Padres person earlier this week who said team was under no pressure from ownership to move payroll.