Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Even with all the OFers on the market, I find it hard to believe DD won't find a deal worth his while. Cespedes has played like a down-ballot MVP type.

The only thing is Dombrowski seems to have a list of players he wants, rather than looking for the best deal. If none of the players on his list are available, he might just keep him.

Even with all the OFers on the market, I find it hard to believe DD won't find a deal worth his while. Cespedes has played like a down-ballot MVP type.

I sort of think Dombrowski really would like to keep Cespedes,...so,...the price is pretty high. If no team meets the high asking price, shucks, I guess the Tigers get to keep Cespedes for the rest of the season...(and maybe get to work on a contract extension too...)

Morosi says Mets are alive and well.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 47s48 seconds ago

#Mets still discussing Yoenis Cespedes with the #Tigers, sources say.

Angels are in play! As I knew they would be....

Edit: too bad their system really sucks though. Wheeler from mets? Gausman from O's? Angels... is Heaney too much?

I'd love any of them, but think that is too much, yes. Unless the other team gets/needs another of our FAs, and still may have to sweeten it with a prospect.

I'm expecting a couple of prospects, someone who would fit in our top 5-7 and another guy in the top 20.

DD has never had a player to deal like Yo before. Very valuable, but he doesn't really gain much by hanging onto him. No draft pick compensation and it could actually hurt their chances of resigning him.

The Angels system might actually be worse than ours. If that's the case, I might just hold onto Cespedes.

I would take Newcombe in a heartbeat. They've also had some recent draft choices. They have picked up their system a bit lately.

Did the Jays just get Revere?

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 5m5 minutes ago

Among Price, Tulowitzki, Lowe, Hawkins and now Revere, the Blue Jays have turned over 20% of their roster in the last 72 hours.

Sadly, I think we are going to be stuck with Alfredo Simon. Maybe he's a guy we can move in an August trade, since he will clear waivers.

Not so sure he would clear waivers. I don't think many guys that have any nominal amount of trade value on modest one year deals clear waivers. At the very least, whatever team would have interest in trading for him would be wise to make a claim. There is little downside to getting stuck with him either.

A guy like shields, on the other hand, does have a good amount of money left on his deal and it seems like teams think he's being overpaid. So it's expected he will clear, but I'm not so sure, because it's not a "terrible" deal and if you've got money the difference between him and a comparable free agent starter won't be all that much salary wise.

Sounds like the Reds will hang onto Bruce and the Rockies will not trade CarGo at the deadline. Good for us and good for them too. With Cespedes, Upton and some 2nd tier guys, they are better off trying to trade those guys in the offseason.

DD has never had a player to deal like Yo before. Very valuable, but he doesn't really gain much by hanging onto him. No draft pick compensation and it could actually hurt their chances of resigning him.

No draft pick comp isn't any leverage in this situation. There are at least four suitors for Cespedes right now that I can name: Mets, O's, Angels, Nats. And there is probably 1-2 more lurking. DD will make a quality trade here, but I'd agree that Wheeler, Gausman and Heaney are probably not going to happen. Wheeler maybe, but only because of the injury.

EDIT: Forgot to add the ChiSox to the list, but doubtful they are buyers after all. They are going to be a giant pumpkin if they don't sell or buy but just stand pat. You don't want to be in no man's land.

Edited by ballmich

‏@JonHeymanCBS 48s48 seconds ago New York, USA

mets are making a push for yoenis cespedes. would be big move.

No draft pick comp isn't any leverage in this situation. There are at least four suitors for Cespedes right now that I can name: Mets, O's, Angels, Nats. And there is probably 1-2 more lurking. DD will make a quality trade here, but I'd agree that Wheeler, Gausman and Heaney are probably not going to happen. Wheeler maybe, but only because of the injury.

The Mets have a lot to like aside from Wheeler. Still possible to get him I think, if we move multiple pieces.

Heyman reporting that the Mets are "making a push" for Yo. I wonder what he can bring back to the Tigers.

Pitching prospects.

As for Simon, I'm honestly fine with keeping him as I don't see much interest anyhow.

In dealing with the Mets, eating some salary could really help get a better piece.

I know it's not typical, but could be possible in unique situation/opportunity. If Mets have most to offer but it requires the team to eat a bit of $, I hope DD/Ilitch bite. Cespedes is not expensive for most clubs, but the Mets seem to have big $$ issues. They let the Gomez deal fall apart over $.

I think people forget that Cespedes played CF while in Cuba and started there for the A's... I don't think he's the ideal CF, but should be fine for a stretch run... I don't see how this is a big issue that the Mets are making it out to be.

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 3m3 minutes ago

For those asking about Granderson in CF, #Mets think ordinary or worse RF. Wonder if he can handle CF even near competently

That's right, Bob!

@BNightengale 1m1 minute ago

If the #Mets land #Tigers Cespedes, all of the angst over last few days will be forgotten. He's a true difference maker for the pennant race

Martino getting on board now... Mets rumors picking up big steam.

Andy Martino ‏@MartinoNYDN 3m3 minutes ago

Cespedes talk reignited Wednesday night for Mets. Has previously not been a target. Now a possibility

I know it's not typical, but could be possible in unique situation/opportunity. If Mets have most to offer but it requires the team to eat a bit of $, I hope DD/Ilitch bite. Cespedes is not expensive for most clubs, but the Mets seem to have big $$ issues. They let the Gomez deal fall apart over $.

This is almost certainly a situation where money is a significant issue.

Wheeler? Wheeler. Wheeler. wheeler. WHEELER. wheeler?