Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Davis and Cespedes...

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 15m15 minutes ago New York, USA

mets greatest concern is lagares in CF. so rajai davis & venable could work. but upton/cespedes more lineup impact.

I would like Gausman. But prefer Wheeler.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 1h1 hour ago New York, USA

price tag is high on cespedes. belief is, with orioles, they'd seek gausman. last guy o's want to trade.

Literally, there are Cespedes rumors everywhere. If you guys aren't seeing them, you aren't looking.

DD doesn't do well dealing with Rizzo. I think he should pass on Washington.

What are we going to talk about next week? The improbable 8 game win streak we are currently building.

What the hell are we going to talk about next week?

Starts by Norris & Boyd.

Whether we lose enough to get a top 10 pick next year.

Which FA's we should target in the off-season.

Who do we want as our next manager? Do we give Vizquel a shot this year or not?

Will DD sign another contract or are we getting a FO clean sweep...

If Iglesias should stay in the #2 batting spot for this year and the foreseeable future, who do we want in the leadoff spot?

Can we rely on Verlander and Sanchez to get back close to their prior performance, and be the #1-2 starters that we need them to be? Or do we need to search for an ace in the off-season to amke them our #2-3 starters...

Etc.

Literally, there are Cespedes rumors everywhere. If you guys aren't seeing them, you aren't looking.

Yeah, that's the case now. But it was awfully quiet yesterday and this morning.

I can't even keep up with all the Cespedes rumors between work and all the sports writers tweeting...

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 15m15 minutes ago

#Mets talking to #Tigers about Cespedes, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. One of their many options.

DD doesn't do well dealing with Rizzo. I think he should pass on Washington.

Time for payback? Stick it to them, DD.

What the hell are we going to talk about next week?

Ausmus leaving Norris in too long.

Ausmus not bringing in Wilson for the 7-out save

Avila playing too much

Castellanos sucks

Why don't the Tigers bring up Dean Green

Mets likely looking for two bats... maybe two OF's. Cespedes/Davis make a lot of sense for them.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 37m37 minutes ago

Also hearing #Mets could land two OFers, as @andymartino said. Not sure how they would make it work.

It's incredible how twitter has changed the trade deadline from a fan perspective.

Well, if they both stay up for rest of the season, they could end up being super-2 guys, but that isn't a huge issue. If one of them doesn't make the 2016 team, the added time could affect when they could be called up.

It's not nothing but I don't expect that be much of a factor.

I don't think we have to worry about Super 2 with Norris, but I may be wrong. He might be a tricky case. I think the Tigers would have started Boyd if they had any super 2 issues with Norris, they had long discussions on who was going where.

Looks like Dombrowski will be able to ditch at least half of our upcoming free agents for prospects. Good work, Dave.

Of course, Avila will still be around. But you can't win them all.

Mets not sold on Bruce....

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 38m38 minutes ago

The #Mets concerns with #Reds Bruce is not only his salary, but vast inconsistencies at the plate.

Mets likely looking for two bats... maybe two OF's. Cespedes/Davis make a lot of sense for them.

They have a loaded system, and I loves me some Zach Wheeler. I also like Gausman, who was the rumor from Baltimore. Makes me think the Tigers would ask for Giolito from the Nats. That would be the #1 deal.

It's incredible how twitter has changed the trade deadline from a fan perspective.

I don't even remember what it was like before.

Keep Ces. Trade VMart if a team is looking for a bat.

It doesn't work that way. Ces is a FA at the end of the year and we will get no comp pick if he walks and does not resign. Vmart is not really a tradable asset. Old, oft-injured and 3 more years left on his contract.

Decent shot at getting Cespedes back next year would make trading him now even better.

Keep Ces. Trade VMart if a team is looking for a bat.

The Tigers would have to eat half that contract to make that happen. That trade would never happen currently.

Cubs are on the board.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 36s36 seconds ago

Haren from #Marlins to #Cubs, per @GDubCub and @clarkspencer.

Pay Ces.

Pointless unless you are planning to also pay for two quality SP for 2016, and probably two legit relievers. But if you are going to do that, then sure, pay Cespedes.

I don't think we have to worry about Super 2 with Norris, but I may be wrong. He might be a tricky case. I think the Tigers would have started Boyd if they had any super 2 issues with Norris, they had long discussions on who was going where.

Norris had 29 days entering this season. He made five starts this year so maybe another 30 days.

Add another 60 and you are near 120.

Pointless unless you are planning to also pay for two quality SP for 2016, and probably two legit relievers. But if you are going to do that, then sure, pay Cespedes.

I am