Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Not a lot of smoke or rumors with Cespedes like there was with Price and Soria. I wonder if DD is going to need to blown away with an offer to move him.

That's probably it. With Price only having 10 starts left and Verlander looking like he is close to his old self the Tigers can still push for the wildcard without Price.(Even though I'm obviously not counting on it) But with Cabrera out and no real replacement for Cespedes I think they would be throwing in the towel if they got rid of him. If he gets blown away by an offer than he'd do it, but if it's just a guy that has a small chance of being a real contributor I think he will just hold on to him and hope for a miracle this year. Even if they don't make the playoffs atleast if they are in contention in mid September it would likely increase ticket sales so all wouldn't be lost for Ilitch.

I think Grienke will be the only pitcher to require a draft pick this off-season. So that's good news.

Greinke, Zimmerman, shark would be my guess.

Not a lot of smoke or rumors with Cespedes like there was with Price and Soria. I wonder if DD is going to need to blown away with an offer to move him.

I think it was more yesterday we were focused on price and soria. Todays focus will be on movint yo. Especially as they get closer to four and teams get desperate for an impact bat, maybe one will get really dumb

Unless it's an impressive package for Cespedes I'm actually leaning towards keeping him. I was down with trading Price and Soria because I knew we could get a good return for Price and I didn't think Soria would be that valuable the rest of the way. But with Cespedes I'm a little different.

I know the likely hood of us making the playoffs are really slim and I have been an advocate of selling all along but with Verlander looking good and us only a few back I think we can still make a run at it. If we don't make it I'll be ok with it cause we got the haul for Price and a wild card with Soria. I just think that a better Verlander and Sanchez will offset the loss of Price and if everybody else just improves a little bit we have a shot to get there.

Basically if somebody wants to overpay for Cespedes than you have to trade him cause the likelihood of the playoffs is slim, but if they aren't gonna give you anything that blows you away, I'd say keep him and try for it. You might be able to have your cake and eat it too.

I think I agree with the consensus: if someone makes us an offer we can't refuse on Yo, then trade him, otherwise keep him and try to make a push for the wild card.

However, the bullpen as constructed will not get it done. If we can bring Boyd up and stick him there, possibly make another low level trade involving some pieces from our minor leagues for an arm, or even trade Rajai Davis for a bullpen piece, then we need to do it. Maybe the best case would be Boyd coming up and moving Simon to the pen, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

That's what I wish they would do more of. The Red Sox took a failed started in Miller and turned him into a dominant reliever, the Orioles did the same with Matusz and Hunter. The Royals turned busts like Hochevar and Wade Davis into studs out of the bullpen. The Tigers really haven't done that. I would look for starting pitchers that look like they have stuff that play out of the bullpen and go for them. Particularly guys that seem to dominate the first time through the lineup. I'm not a scout so I can't name any but I'm sure they are out there and could be had for relatively cheap. Thats who they need to go after.

I always thought Bonderman was a good candidate to be a reliever or closer.

I think I agree with the consensus: if someone makes us an offer we can't refuse on Yo, then trade him, otherwise keep him and try to make a push for the wild card.

However, the bullpen as constructed will not get it done. If we can bring Boyd up and stick him there, possibly make another low level trade involving some pieces from our minor leagues for an arm, or even trade Rajai Davis for a bullpen piece, then we need to do it. Maybe the best case would be Boyd coming up and moving Simon to the pen, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

so currently I'd say we are short 4.5 arms in the pen. You have Wilson who is good, Hardy, who is OK, and Al who is serviceable about 1/2 the time. Past that everyone else is literally a good bet to give up more than 3 runs per appearance. Maybe - maybe Krol is coming around a bit this month from horrible to just poor. But past that? Greene is a total meltdown - needs to go back to AAA while there is still some season left there to see if he can find his delivery, which he has completely lost, Rondon and Feliz simply cannot get people out. Rondon as closer is laughable. Moving Simon to the pen would make sense, but right now he can't throw a FB and we don't know how long that is going to be the case. It's just a mess.

Being basically a two pitch pitcher he probably was - early in his career. But the FB never really came back after the botched thoracic compression surgery so maybe not so much in the end....

I'd also float Anibal Sanchez to the Yankees considering the Pineda situation. If he could pry one of their top prospects, I'd strongly consider it. That would of course signal the end of this season, but it's already tenuous at best.

I thought the biggest reason to trade him was to be able to sign him for next year? I read somewhere that if we can't sign him in the 5 day window after the WS, we'd have to wait until mid-May to sign him the following year, so it was in our best interest to move him to have more time to sign him during the free agency window?

I'd also float Anibal Sanchez to the Yankees considering the Pineda situation. If he could pry one of their top prospects, I'd strongly consider it. That would of course signal the end of this season, but it's already tenuous at best.

But it would probably signal the end of next season as well. Annibal's contract is pure gold - it would be hard to get enough back from anyone to make up for trading it.

You'd think so with his RP arsenal of FB/slider, but it seemed to take him a couple innings to settle in when he started.

You'd think so with his RP arsenal of FB/slider, but it seemed to take him a couple innings to settle in when he started.

I think it eventually came out that that was because he would start the game with numb fingers due to the thoracic compression. If the surgery had worked out like it was supposed to that was supposed to go away.

But it would probably signal the end of next season as well. Annibal's contract is pure gold - it would be hard to get enough back from anyone to make up for trading it.

True. If you could get Severino, which I doubt you could, then next season would still be in play. You'd still need to sign a Price replacement, but you'd have three new young arms that could all start the season in the rotation, along with Verlander, Lobstein, possibly Greene, Farmer, etc.

I am actually beginning to worry that cespedes won't be traded.

I expected him to be moved shortly after we took care of price, but a lot of the potential buyers that want an OF seem to be matching up with different teams/players.

The white sox seem to be the only rumored team that hasn't gone a different direction.

I expected him to be moved shortly after we took care of price, but a lot of the potential buyers that want an OF seem to be matching up with different teams/players.

The white sox seem to be the only rumored team that hasn't gone a different direction.

I have read/heard rumors that the White Sox want Cespedes and/or Justin Upton.

This is my thought too. They waited too long. The Angels would've taken him, I think, but the Tigers dawdled.

A lot of teams are still in play. It's all a matter of what value we get for Cespedes. I just saw a tweet that said the mets are still working on other OF other than Bruce.

From what I've heard from people I know in the organization, they've told me Cespedes really likes it in Detroit. I wouldn't be surprised if they held onto him, negotiated an extension and he signed at some point before the contractual deadline he has. They could announce it tomorrow realistically... He isn't your typical case. He cannot really hit the open market and decide to return to Detroit.

I wouldn't mind signing him long-term, but they really would need to focus on pitching with the rest of their offseason budget.

This is my thought too. They waited too long. The Angels would've taken him, I think, but the Tigers dawdled.

The Angels may still want him. But the Tigers might have to take one of those OF contracts back from them too.

A lot of teams are still in play. It's all a matter of what value we get for Cespedes. I just saw a tweet that said the mets are still working on other OF other than Bruce.

Yes, a lot of teams are still in play, but there are also a lot of other outfielders available. Not many have as much value as cespedes, of course, but in this case it seems to be a buyer's market and that kind of sucks.

Personally, I believe what is holding up the trade market is the pending Padre fire sale. Once they start dumping today things should move more quickly.

I can't believe that it looks like the Mets are willing to swap out Wheeler for Bruce. While I don't see Cespedes immediatley signing an extension which is what the Mets probably would require to do the same with us, I can't stop thinking about that possibility.