Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

You can always play some pick-up hockey on Friday nights as well.

You have ice in the summer too?

@BNightengale: MLB executives are absolutely convinced #Tigers David Price will wind up with the #Dodgers, who likely will have to part with Urias.

Drool!!! He has a sub 1.000 whip and 10+ k/9 in aa and he's 18.

This is pretty ot, but it made me think of it when you brought up Jim Johnson. He was another failed reliever of ours. So it got me thinking about our pitching and I just have to say why doesn't Jeff Jones get more heat?.... .

I think you have to give Jones some credit for the development of Scherzer and Porcello while they were with the Tigers. The way RP is falling apart in Boston has to makes you wonder if that would be happening if he was still working with Jones. Sanchez is another guy that seems to have a tendency to keep going off the rails and then pulling himself back together, and it's easier to believe that's because he is getting good coaching than bad. Heck, the way JV was able to keep adjusting to his various physical problems and stay as effective as he was - particularly his rebound at the end of '13 in the playoff drive - he also always gives Jones credit as being involved in all his work.

It's true you can't point to much in the way of relievers turning around under his watch, but it's not like many of the cast of thousand's who have been through our BP have gone on to success elsewhere - there were mostly just guys without much talent.

And also I think you have to consider that because our bad pitchers in the BP are so bad, Ausmus has had much too slow a hook compared to what these guys would be playing under anywhere else, and that inflates their ERAs because we have had way too many guys pitching way too many innings with empty tanks, or relievers that pitched to 6 guys they couldnt' get out when on a normal team they should have been gone after two or three (like Feliz two nights ago).

Edited by Gehringer_2

@BNightengale: MLB executives are absolutely convinced #Tigers David Price will wind up with the #Dodgers, who likely will have to part with Urias.

And that's just with one eye!

I have a hard time getting fired up for prospects.

Same here, but what I would like to see is the prospect we get for Price to get thrown on the mound immediately so we can see what he can do. Talk about a prospect is just that...talk. Prospects rarely pan out. There are just so damn many of them and predicting what they can do at the MLB level is a crap shoot for the most part. I am hoping for that diamond in the rough...a guy who is projected to be good who actually turns out to be good.

I've been reading a lot about Urias, his cosmetic surgeries, his bullying he received as a kid, and his path from Mexico to MILB. It's pretty fascinating, I must say, I think this kid is a sure thing just based off his determination and talent. He's got some wicked stuff... If we can get Urias in a package for Price, I'd be thrilled.

Second that. If people are questioning his bat at third, it makes no sense to put him in a corner OF.

I dunno...

Offensively, Nick has been subpar until the last month or so... but is offense would be subpar at any position. Likewise, his bat for the last month (.302/.353/.538) would be respectable at 3rd or RF. His OPS of .891 would be 8th best among MLB RFers in the last 30 days. So assuming the Nick continues this offensive (a big if for sure), then that isn't bad for an corner outfielder in my opinion.

Obviously this could just be a little run for Nick and August sees his numbers fall off again. But if that's true then he's going to be bad offensively at 3rd as well.

It's going to come down to this:

What does Nick's defense look like in Right? Is it better than his defense at 3rd?

What gives us the best offense?

1.) Nick in Right, Ian at 3rd, and ??? at 2nd

2.) ??? in Right, Nick at 3rd, and Ian at 2nd

What gives us the best defense?

1.) Nick in Right, Ian at 3rd, and ??? at 2nd

2.) ??? in Right, Nick at 3rd, and Ian at 2nd

Who ever ??? becomes the big question. Depending on who you can get into Right or 2nd will make the decision.

maybe they go to Cespedes and his agent one last time say - "this the last offer - if it's not enough we have a trade lined up." so he get the last option. But that is really the most they can do. If he doesn't want to sign and they can get something for him, they have to move him. We have 6 guys going to FA but Price and Cespedes are the only ones with much potential to bring something back.

Also, just a tidbit. I hear people throughout the year say how this board isn't what it used to be, declining in numbers, etc. I don't know the details, but there's no better place to talk Tigers than here. I'm on Twitter and that's good for factual checking and breaking news, but there's no elaboration. Also, I think Tiger's selling is the most fun I've had this season beyond opening week or our 11-2 start.

Barriers be damned, DD wanted Cespedes when he was originally scouted and he doesn't want to let him go. It's like Cabrera; he was a DD guy and DD got him back.

I might be wrong on this and I'll take my beating if I am, however, I'm pretty confident in my prediction.

I am in total agreement with you......I would be shocked if Cespedes got traded. It would leave a huge hole the in outfield and the batting order. It might be different if they had a hotshot minor league prospect to fill the void. But to my knowledge that player doesn't exist.

It's the currency of Major League Baseball when it comes to trades. We don't have much, so restocking our prospect bank may just help us get a big fish in the next 6-8 months.

I'm excited about what we could possibly get. I'm hoping the rumors of a bidding war are true and we fleece someone else for him. Price really can help push a team over the edge, so I can see someone giving up a lot for the potential of a championship this year. I hope I'm right.

I think there is an outside chance he would stay. His first few months here the rumors were he didn't want to stay but over the offseason he seemed to buddy up with Verlander and then even talked a little bit about signing an extension with the Tigers. But now, I think his head is elsewhere again. Either way, the right move to make for DD is to trade him.

That was my feeling on it...

2014: Rumors are that Price isn't happy to be in Detroit. Very low chance Price resigns.

Early 2015: Hmm... Price and JV seem to be friends... Price hints that it was an adjustment early, but he's open to the possibility of staying in Detroit. Tigers seem to at least be in talks with his agent. Maybe he'll stay.

Mid 2015: Price's "body language" seems to indicate he's not thrilled. Possible tensions between Ausmus and Price. Agent 'leaks' that Tigers aren't showing much long term interest. Nah... it looks like Price is gone.

So if we get Wood and Puig, can you really say that we were selling? We'd be very competitive the rest of this year, I would think.

It is somewhat humorous to me that the team with Grienke and Kershaw is the one that "desperately" needs more pitching. But I am ready to take a massive haul from them!

Who knows what FOs think? I think the Tigers probably overestimated their chances of signing Price when they brought him it - probably LA is doing the same. Also consider that Greinke can walk, they may have some reason (or delusion :wink:) that they have a better chance to sign Price than re-sign Greinke for 2016 and beyond - or maybe they just prefer Price over Greinke and want the chance to work on him (contract wise) for the rest of the season.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Adding urias to the system would be fantastic. I love that the dodgers are in on price. They have so much minor talent and they really don't need it with the way they spend.

I'm not sure I agree with the notion that these prospects will be flipped in the offseason. I think most of the building for 2016 will be done via free agency given how much money we will have available to spend.

maybe they go to Cespedes and his agent one last time say - "this the last offer - if it's not enough we have a trade lined up." so he get the last option. But that is really the most they can do. If he doesn't want to sign and they can get something for him, they have to move him. We have 6 guys going to FA but Price and Cespedes are the only ones with much potential to bring something back.

This is what I'm thinking. Why should we keep a guy that is waffling on whether he will resign with us next year? If DD likes this guy, then make him a very fair offer. If he doesn't sign on, trade him and let him know that they will pursue him in free agency if he is available next year.

So once this season concludes and we miss the playoffs, no way DD retains Ausmus, right?

So once this season concludes and we miss the playoffs, no way DD retains Ausmus, right?

I don't see any scenario that keeps Ausmus as the tigers manager next year. As a matter of fact, I see them letting him go before the end of the season, just to let other potential managers know that there is a spot available in Detroit if they were wanting to let their current teams know they are interested in interviewing for it.

From your keyboard to the baseball gods' ears....

Will DD be back?

I'm not sure I agree with the notion that these prospects will be flipped in the offseason. I think most of the building for 2016 will be done via free agency given how much money we will have available to spend.

They will traded for a relief pitcher at next year's deadline.

I don't think he'll be able to talk the Dodgers out of Urias, which is a shame...

Not knowing anything about Urias, I looked him up...

7cc7fb70_mlbam.jpg

Umm... looks like he was just about to sneeze when the picture was taken.

I would really love Wood. If they can get anything additional in the Urias/DeLeon/Seager camp I'd be fired up but Wood provides a top end starter (while not an ace) under team control for 3 additional years....perfect to add to JV/Anibal moving into next year along with a bumper crop of FA SP.

Some wild scenarios I could see:

* Cespedes included and Puig coming back......I really wonder if LAD is so done with Puig they'll sell low. For them they can just write a check anyways....

* Castellanos included and Seager coming back......I would love to see him at 3rd next year with his LH bat

Adding urias to the system would be fantastic. I love that the dodgers are in on price. They have so much minor talent and they really don't need it with the way they spend.

the thing with Urias is exactly that he is so young. My guess is that given the choice the Tigers would take the guy closer to the bigs - like DeLeon - at least that seems to have been DD's pattern in the past.