Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

Ask the Jays about Aaron Sanchez and Marcus Stroman.

I love Stroman. Don't think the Jays would do that... Or would they? Norris also enticing.

But man, the Dodgers just have so much to offer...

@BillShaikin 5m5 minutes ago

#Dodgers could get 2 SP (Latos & Wood) + 1 RP (Johnson), still have Seager, Urias, DeLeon, Holmes, Anderson, Bellinger, Stripling, July 2 haul - and now. Peraza.

@JeffPassan 3m3 minutes ago

With Cole Hamels just about gone to Texas, the Dodgers pursuit of David Price will kick into extra-high gear. They are the team to beat

Perfect. Let's get a deal done and turn the focus to Soria and Cespedes. Can't deal Price without dealing the other two.

@JimBowden_ESPN 42s43 seconds ago

Dave Dombrowski has always liked Alex Wood....so if Dodgers Braves Marlins trade actually happens...maybe Wood ++ gets Price? #Dodgers

Hamels and Darvish are gonna be a lethal 1-2 next year.

Well, odds are Darvish won't be lethal till a little latter in the season, but could be.

If we do trade Price, the pressure to sign Cueto would be enormous IMO. Price would likely be gone for good and going into next season without an ace to put alongside Sanchez and Verlander would be asking for trouble. I personally would much rather have Price than Cueto but think our chances of bringing him back would pretty much be shot.

If we do trade Price, the pressure to sign Cueto would be enormous IMO. Price would likely be gone for good and going into next season without an ace to put alongside Sanchez and Verlander would be asking for trouble. I personally would much rather have Price than Cueto but think our chances of bringing him back would pretty much be shot.

They're already shot. You can see it in his body language. I don't think even firing Ausmus would change it. He was traded here- he clearly didn't choose here.

I still think it would be cool if he goes to the Astros. Then his dog can be an Astro Astro.....

@JimBowden_ESPN 42s43 seconds ago

Dave Dombrowski has always liked Alex Wood....so if Dodgers Braves Marlins trade actually happens...maybe Wood ++ gets Price? #Dodgers

This makes a heck of a lot of sense. The other nice thing about Wood is he can help this season so while we would basically be giving up for all intents and purposes, there is a slot chance the Tigers could remain in contention for a while. Of course, Cespedes and Soria would probably be gone as well.

If JV finishes the year strong and we come away with someone like Alex Wood, I'd be far less concerned about giving another 30+ year old pitcher a 150mil + contract.

I think it's more important to have solid guys in all spots in the rotation and some minor league depth + a good BP.

Price & Cespedes for Puig, Wood, and De Leon.

Killer trade!!!

I doubt Puig or Cespedes are involved, but wouldn't be surprised if Soria gets involved. Then we could think about getting DeLeon and Wood.

They're already shot. You can see it in his body language. I don't think even firing Ausmus would change it. He was traded here- he clearly didn't choose here.

I still think it would be cool if he goes to the Astros. Then his dog can be an Astro Astro.....

I think there is an outside chance he would stay. His first few months here the rumors were he didn't want to stay but over the offseason he seemed to buddy up with Verlander and then even talked a little bit about signing an extension with the Tigers. But now, I think his head is elsewhere again. Either way, the right move to make for DD is to trade him.

If JV finishes the year strong and we come away with someone like Alex Wood, I'd be far less concerned about giving another 30+ year old pitcher a 150mil + contract.

I think it's more important to have solid guys in all spots in the rotation and some minor league depth + a good BP.

I get what your saying. The Tigers really might have no other option because you are right it is not smart to pay for 30 year old pitchers. Price would be an exception IMO given his history, stamina, delivery, and body. I think he is a front end horse for another 5 years...that is why I hate to see him go.

Why do the Tigers need a "ace"? If they end up getting Wood, why not take that cash and balance out the pen.

Why do the Tigers need a "ace"? If they end up getting Wood, why not take that cash and balance out the pen.

You don't have to have one...it just helps a whole lot IMO to winning. Balance in the rotation is important too though and clearly bullpens have become more important than ever. Obtaining those won't be easy fixes though either because we have seen how volatile pitchers can be year to year. An ace, when healthy, at least gives you consistency.

Joe Frisaro ‏@JoeFrisaro 13m13 minutes ago

The three pitching prospects the #Marlins would be receiving from #Dodgers are Jeff Brigham, Victor Araujo, Kevin Guzman.

Looking at MLB.com's updated list of top 30 Dodgers prospects, Brigham comes in at 28 and none of the other guys made the cut.

The Dodgers did send Olivera to the Braves, but they didn't really have a spot for him on the team anyway.

Also won't ever happen.

Texas trading for Hamels could improve our draft slot as well. Bonus!

We'll see...

I have a feeling...

Tiger/Trade Deadline Alum Jake Thompson part of the package going to Philly from Texas for Cole Hamels.

@Evan_P_Grant 1m1 minute ago

Final deal and its a doozy: Matt Harrison, Alec Asher, Jerad Eickhoff, Nick Williams, Jorge Alfaro & Jake Thompson for Hamels+Diekman+Cash.

Really happy Hamels is off the market, as the Dodgers were allegedly strong on him. And by the way, that's a really healthy return for Philly.

We're gonna do well with Price...

@jonmorosi 3m3 minutes ago

Sources: #Dodgers, #BlueJays, #SFGiants, and #Astros all talking with #Tigers on David Price.

Also, Sandy Alderson telling the media that the Gomez deal has not and will not happen and he's still looking to add a bat.

It's more of a quantity over quality return. Still would give the nod to Texas in that deal.

Thompson, Williams and Alfaro are all high upside guys in the high minors. The other guys seem like more depth pieces, but seems like a strong return. Although it apparently wasn't the best offer Philly received:

@BNightengale 3m3 minutes ago

The #Rangers acquire Cole Hamels from the #Phillies, after Hamels rejects deal to #Astros Rangers acquire Cole Hamels from Phillies

I realize that Wood has been traded so it's academic to some extent...but do people really think that Wood and Deleon are going to be good ML pitchers? I'm not seeing it.

Tiger/Trade Deadline Alum Jake Thompson part of the package going to Philly from Texas for Cole Hamels.

@Evan_P_Grant 1m1 minute ago

Final deal and its a doozy: Matt Harrison, Alec Asher, Jerad Eickhoff, Nick Williams, Jorge Alfaro & Jake Thompson for Hamels+Diekman+Cash.

Really happy Hamels is off the market, as the Dodgers were allegedly strong on him. And by the way, that's a really healthy return for Philly.

We're gonna do well with Price...

Ah, the great Jake Thompson and his 4.72 AA ERA.

I only hear about traded Tigers prospects after they've had a good performance, so here's a review:

Others traded since July, 2013:

Knebel 26 IP in MIL, solid but not spectacular peripherals.

Adames: A solid .738 OPS, 11.5% BB-rate, but 25.7% K-rate.

Smyly: looked great, but unfortunate shoulder injury.

Travis: looks great, but unfortunate shoulder injuries.

Avi Garcia: -0.8 WAR

Danry Vasquez: .407 AA OPS

David Paulino: Injured for 2014, solid numbers in 38 IP A-ball so far.

Jonathon Crawford: Must've been hurt, only been pitching for a month.

Eugenio Suarez: The guy I was hoping they could keep as a UTIL player/Casty insurance: .816 OPS.

Domingo Leyba: .580 OPS in A+

Robbie Ray: sigh.....2.70 ERA. Looks good if he can keep his career-low walk rate in line.

Porcello: 5.51 ERA, 0.5 WAR

AJax: 0.6 WAR since trade

Fister: Great 2014, 4.50 ERA this year. Declining peripherals and velocity.

Am I missing anyone?

I realize that Wood has been traded so it's academic to some extent...but do people really think that Wood and Deleon are going to be good ML pitchers? I'm not seeing it.

Are you talking about Alex Wood or a different Wood I missed in the discussions? Alex Wood has a minor league record of 9 K vs 2.5 BB per 9 innings and in the bigs he's at 8.2 vs 2.6. He's also a lefty

I think he's already a good ML pitcher

Has Wood not already been a good MLB pitcher?