Yoda

The July 31 Trade Deadline Thread

I thought it'd be good to have a thread to discuss rumors about the Tigers as well as other teams. They should be firing up pretty soon.

Jason Stark @jaysonst

#Braves have let clubs know they're open to dealing from pitching prospect depth in a trade for a bat. They've asked about young catchers

Alex isn't young, but he isn't washed up either. Would they be interested?

Seems hard to imagine anyone giving up much for Avila.

I think GM's will put his value higher than fans will. His defense and game calling is pretty important and hard to match.

Having said that, I agree he won't get much in return for just a couple months. But anything is something, and they don't seem to need him anymore. 99% positive he's not coming back next year. If you can get an average mid-level pitcher for him, might as well take it.

I don't see it, but if they can get a decent reliever out of it, go for it.

The flip side is that if McCann gets hurt, the Tigers are screwed @ catcher. But it's probably a risk worth taking.

I don't see it, but if they can get a decent reliever out of it, go for it.

The flip side is that if McCann gets hurt, the Tigers are screwed @ catcher. But it's probably a risk worth taking.

Same could be said for DH, 1B, 2B, SS, RF, LF. I don't think C has to have 2 starters any more than those other positions.

They won't get anything for two months of Avila and he still has value to them since he hits right handers better than McCann does and might help their pitching as well.

They won't get anything for two months of Avila and he still has value to them since he hits right handers better than McCann does and might help their pitching as well.

If they don't sell, sure. If they do and want to make a run next year, then it's pointless.

I still think there is very little chance they sell. If they fall out of it by July 31, then they might sell, but I expect them to move faster than that so I don't see that happening.

In 2008 they traded Pudge for Farnsworth. In 2005 they traded Urbina for Polanco. This really hasn't been a team that sells. I'm not sure why fans are obsessed with selling. It is a down year that isn't close to being over. Just retool in the offseason.

In 2008 they traded Pudge for Farnsworth. In 2005 they traded Urbina for Polanco. This really hasn't been a team that sells. I'm not sure why fans are obsessed with selling. It is a down year that isn't close to being over. Just retool in the offseason.

Because prospects yo!

Same could be said for DH, 1B, 2B, SS, RF, LF. I don't think C has to have 2 starters any more than those other positions.

That's true about the other positions, especially Cabrera. But I think they could tread water in the OF with Collins for a while. And Kinsler hasn't been hitting, so if he got hurt, I'm not sure how much of a downgrade Machado or Casilla would be. At this point, though, they've lost some margin for error, and they need to make up ground when they can rather than see if they can tread water.

I don't know about both Avila and McCann as starters. McCann has filled in well so far, but I don't know if he's a full time MLB starter so far.

The tigers have not been in a position to sell since 2008. It's hard to make any broad conclusions of what they are likely to do.

It's because unless Mr. I goes insane and decides to spend 50 more million or so it's going to be real hard to retool this team

I'm not opposed to selling at the deadline because it seems like the only way this front office can build is via trades. Their ability to build via the draft and international signings is spotty at best.

With that said, I'm still hoping they re-sign Price because without him this staff is garbage.

It's because unless Mr. I goes insane and decides to spend 50 more million or so it's going to be real hard to retool this team

The Tigers only have about three players left from the World Series team in 2012. They seemed to be able to retool without going insane.

The Tigers only have about three players left from the World Series team in 2012. They seemed to be able to retool without going insane.

It seems they were able to do that around core quality starters. They don't have that this season and next season looks worse with the expected loss of Price.

The only thinkable scenario for David Price re-signing is the Tigers winning the World Series, him getting really drunk during the celebration, and Dave Dombrowski getting him to ink the contract right then.

I still think there is very little chance they sell. If they fall out of it by July 31, then they might sell, but I expect them to move faster than that so I don't see that happening.

Agreed. I think right now they are probably looking to buy a veteran pitcher, in fact. Maybe by Tuesday.

I believe both selling and buying simultaneously is a reasonable option. The Tigers have either the wrong mix of players to win or a bad manager, depending on what you believe. If it's the players, they have players to trade that are attractive and would provide a nice return. They include, but aren't limited to: Price, JD Martinez, Iglesias, Soria, Davis, Gose, McCann. I'm not saying they SHOULD trade all of those but at this point I'm open to trading either Iglesias or Machado, depending on the prospective return. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not opposed to re-inventing this team for the the post-all star break in 2015. At .500, that might be a sensible strategy as opposed to obtaining expensive short-term rentals only, or flat out selling only.

I cannot imagine how horrific the rotation would look next year without David Price.

If Price goes, they'll sign someone else.

With Cabrera hurt.....all bets are off. It seems to me that anything can happen now. This has to be the first season in a long time that the Tigers have more questions than answers in the month of July. It will be interesting.

Yes, and coincidentally the team is a lot worse than the 2012 team. Hmm.