PuNk42AE

07/03/2015: Toronto Blue Jays (Hutchinson) at Detroit Tigers (Sanchez) - 7:08 PM

Eh, he'll be better than .319 in front of Miggy. Ces was born to hit in front of Miggy.

I would much rather move Miggy, V-Mart, Cespedes, & JD up one spot each that put Cespedes second.

Maybe Cespedes will try and take a walk. Who knows? Maybe he'll respond in that spot.

James Schmehl ‏@jamesschmehl 2m2 minutes ago

#Tigers reliever Joba Chamberlain and Tom Gorzelanny have been designated for assignment, according to source close to subject.

Today is a wonderful day. Group brohugs all around.

I would much rather move Miggy, V-Mart, Cespedes, & JD up one spot each that put Cespedes second.

I agree. That'd'of been the cherry to top off the DFA sundae.

Agreed.

Joba's most recent hair cut will certainly not be missed. I know I sound old but that guy was, well, gross.

Milwaukee knew what they were doing when they let Gorz go.

Glad to be wrong on my predictions. A sigh of relief by No Win Ryan, no doubt.

Yeah me too. I don't quite understand if you decide to put a power hitter in the number 2 spot, why wouldn't you just put Miggy? You are basically conceding that you would rather give Cespedes more at bats than Cabrera. Also with Iggy batting 9th, he would likely see more RBI opportunities in the 2 spot than he will in the 3 spot.(For reference Kinsler has had the most ABs with RISP than any player in the AL this year)

Yeah me too. I don't quite understand if you decide to put a power hitter in the number 2 spot, why wouldn't you just put Miggy? You are basically conceding that you would rather give Cespedes more at bats than Cabrera. Also with Iggy batting 9th, he would likely see more RBI opportunities in the 2 spot than he will in the 3 spot.(For reference Kinsler has had the most ABs with RISP than any player in the AL this year)

Craig Monroe was up there for a while in the playoffs. I think this is a Leyland thing. If you don't trust your slap hitters to get on you might as well put somebody up there who can bonk.

Cabrera and Victor Martinez have to bat third and fourth because that is traditionally where you put your best hitters. It would be disrespectful to have Cabrera bat second. The trouble it would cause is not worth the added line-up efficiency.

How many at more at bats per year would a 2 get over a 3?

Not a whole lot, right now the number 2 spot has 9 more plate appearances than the number 3, so if they kept that lineup the rest of the season Cespedes may see around 10 more at bats than Cabrera. Which isn't a whole lot but 10 at bats is 10 at bats, it could end up being nothing, or it could end up the difference between a key game ending with Cabrera in the on deck circle or him having a chance to win it at the plate.

edit: never mind that number. I lazily just looked up the difference between Kinsler and Cabrera's plate appearances since they played the same number of games. I forgot that Kinsler batted in the leadoff spot a few times so that difference is actually less than that.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Cabrera and Victor Martinez have to bat third and fourth because that is traditionally where you put your best hitters. It would be disrespectful to have Cabrera bat second. The trouble it would cause is not worth the added line-up efficiency.

Miggy can bat wherever he wants. Seriously. I'm also very interested to see a dangerous hitter in front of Miggy. In theory, Cespedes will see more strikes. Maybe that amplifies his power more than it did for Ian.

But Ausmus said in an interview when asked about Miggy hitting #2 that the stats saying #2 and #4 in the lineup getting the best opportunities are because teams are already putting their best hitters #3. Is he correct, or has that been adjusted for?

lol holy ****. apparently this last series was the last straw. somebody in management finally had enough of this ****.

ian has a .333 OBP so it's not the worst thing in the world. Ces 2nd is good and JD up to 5th is great. Avila 6th, Gose 8th, Iggy still 9th, probably hope he can get on base for the top of the lineup.

well, so far all they have done is accepted the obvious, Gorzelanny and Joba are not good pitchers and Gose is slumping too badly to give extra lead-off PAs. But that is a start.

Miggy can bat wherever he wants. Seriously. I'm also very interested to see a dangerous hitter in front of Miggy. In theory, Cespedes will see more strikes. Maybe that amplifies his power more than it did for Ian.

But Ausmus said in an interview when asked about Miggy hitting #2 that the stats saying #2 and #4 in the lineup getting the best opportunities are because teams are already putting their best hitters #3. Is he correct, or has that been adjusted for?

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

According to that, Cabrera should bat 4th.

Also ironic the article has a Joba reference.

well, so far all they have done is accepted the obvious, Gorzelanny and Joba are not good pitchers and Gose is slumping too badly to give extra lead-off PAs. But that is a start.

But still, for this team, it's quite a step up from their typically glacial pace of handling all things vet-related.

All I know is that with the way our lineup was set up Kinsler had 21 more at bats with guys in scoring position than Miguel which imo shouldn't happen. And in those situations Kinsler has a .749 OPS while Cabrera has a 1.164 OPS. I wonder how many more runs would we have scored if Cabrera had those at bats instead of Kinsler?

the important thing is that group of hitters 2-6 moved up a spot and goes was dropped.

Ideally I would put Cabrera 2nd and JD third.

Whatever.

The ideal line-up theories are based on simulation, but Ausmus makes an interesting point. Based on a typical set of hitters, the best line-up has the best hitters hitting second and third, but that probably doesn't hold for every set of hitters especially when one of the hitters is baseball's best outlier. If you did a simulation just with the Tigers current team, you might come up with something different.

Also I wouldn't be opposed to batting Avila 2nd against righties when he gets back in the swing of things. If there is one thing he can do is get on base, so batting 2nd infront of the big dogs he won't have to come up with the key hit like he would in the 6th or 7th spot. Instead he can simply take a walk and set the table for Cabrera. In the 7th spot if he takes a walk he is leaving it up to Castellanos, so his walks don't really get maximized like they would if he did them infront of guys like Cabrera and V-Mart.

I think brad's theory is wrong.

The idea behind putting your best hitters 2 and 4 has more to do with expected base runner situations. The 3 hitter comes up more often with bases empty than the four hitter. You want a better hitter at 2 than 3 so he is on base for hitters 3 and 4.

It's not a huge deal though.

I think brad's theory is wrong.

The idea behind putting your best hitters 2 and 4 has more to do with expected base runner situations. The 3 hitter comes up more often with bases empty than the four hitter. You want a better hitter at 2 than 3 so he is on base for hitters 3 and 4.

It's not a huge deal though.

You are right, but I would think there would be a lot of variation from team to team.

You are right, but I would think there would be a lot of variation from team to team.

I think with the way our team is setup the number 2 spot is the best spot to hit in because we have Iglesias batting 9th. Most teams don't have a good 9th hitter so when the lineup flips the number 2 hitter doesn't get as many opportunities with guys on, but in our case we do.

Correct.

If you've got a light hitting obp guy, he is lead off. Your all around player with obp and slug bats second. Your big hitter with lower obp bats fourth. Then your next two best hitters go 3 and 5, with the 3 hitter a guy that might be more of a boom or bust guy.

Every collection of players is different though and it's hard to find those exact types on each team.

I'm just basing this on what I read in "the book" so I forget all of the exact reasoning.

the important thing is that group of hitters 2-6 moved up a spot and goes was dropped.

Ideally I would put Cabrera 2nd and JD third.

Whatever.

I vote for Shelton to take over whence Ausmus is fired.