sabretooth

The OFFICIAL Fire Brad Ausmus Thread

...there, someone had to get this ball rolling.

Brad is not the sole cause of this team's problems, we know that DD has screwed up this pitching staff with mediocre rotation acquisitions and with an unworkable bullpen, but DD is the one with an overall strong track record of roster construction (despite his frequent bullpen misses), and we have one of the best positional teams I've seen since 1984. Someone else needs to come in here to manage this team.

Brad does not seem to be wanted here by anybody, hopefully DD will also want a better (more proven) product. Just my impression from a million miles away.

Then again, if the option is Gardenhire, I'd rather hire Mrs. Doubtfire.

I'm not sure if this is a reflection on Brad, but something that really struck me on the Sunday come-back game that I attended (from my vantage point I could see the dugout):

When McCann hit the GW HR, there was the usual scene at home for about 20 seconds....then all of the players quickly disappeared through the dugout and into the locker room. Within maybe 30-45 seconds the TV guy interviewed McCann outside of the dugout, and there was not a single soul in the dugout.

It just seemed strange.

I'm in the camp that we would be struggling no matter who the manager was/is. But with that said I wouldn't be opposed to firing Brad just cause some changes have to be made and it's easier to fire the manager than it is to trade all the players but I wouldn't expect anything to change unless the pitching staff magically stopped sucking.

It seems as if the players don't care about winning or losing as long as they get paid. Punch in and punch out and then go home. What can a manager do to change that attitude?

It seems as if the players don't care about winning or losing as long as they get paid. Punch in and punch out and then go home. What can a manager do to change that attitude?

See I don't get that vibe at all. Take today's game for example, we just gave up a bunch of runs in the 9th to fall down 5 going to our last at bats. If they didn't care they could just have 3 throwaway at bats to get the game over with since the chance of coming back in that situation is probably like 1%. Yet they still battled and were 1 runner away from getting the tying run to the plate.

nf1377, isn't that the crux of the problem?

The manager's job is to change the attitude, and Brad Ausmus is not inspiring his players to do this.

nf1377, isn't that the crux of the problem?

The manager's job is to change the attitude, and Brad Ausmus is not inspiring his players to do this.

How do you inspire athletes that make a lot of money no matter what?

There's no "one best way". It's totally manager/team specific. You have to find the right combination. I don't know who specifically would work best, but I feel that Brad is not the man to lead this team forward.

FWIW, I would have been absolutely thrilled if they had replaced Brad with Joe Maddon. An experienced hand who had a lot of success getting the most out of an uneven roster, and someone who wasn't beholden to managerial shibboleths like Gardenfire. His personality quirks also helped the team PR-wise...while that is not determinative, it at least doesn't hurt if a manager has credibility/mojo with the general fan base by having a track record + personality.

They are inspired by winning, what person isn't competitive and wants to win at whatever they do? And these people aren't just regular people, they are the best athletes in the world that probably were winners at every stage of baseball in their lives until the Majors, so I highly doubt that any of these guys likes losing or doesn't care if they lose. It would be foolish to think that they aren't wired to want to win and do whatever it takes to win.

I wanted fired at the end of last season. To me, it was pretty obvious he sucks at his job and the players dont respect him.

It seemed for the majority of the games, win or lose, no one gave a **** and they would rather be some place else. Zero leadership.

Ausmus is a cancer and he needs to go.

How effective would it be if the team's fans just didn't turn up to the games?

I am not a fair weather fan, but it seems to me that Mr. Ilitch should be given a message to rectify this problem . . . and if DD or Ausmus become the casualties, then so be it! Two years ago the Tigers had the best rotation in baseball, now it seems that none of them can be relied on or have some kind of attitude problem caused by knowing that the offence and bullpen will just fail anyway.

Whether you work at McDonalds or are a pro athlete, people gravitate towards leaders, its human nature. Get a leader in the clubhouse thats going to change the attitude and this team will win.

Dave should of went all in on Joe Madden during the offseason and offered him a contract he couldnt refuse. This team would be in 1st place right now had he done that.

Whether you work at McDonalds or are a pro athlete, people gravitate towards leaders, its human nature. Get a leader in the clubhouse thats going to change the attitude and this team will win.

Dave should of went all in on Joe Madden during the offseason and offered him a contract he couldnt refuse. This team would be in 1st place right now had he done that.

The same Joe Maddon that managed a team to finish 20 games out of first last year, yet his replacement has the team only a game back?

Brad doesn't have a pulse. He seems like he has zero emotion for the game or the team. A team tends to reflect it's manager, therefore, we get a so so 500 team that goes through stretches where it doesn't seem to care. I though he should have been out last year as well (I thought he never should have been hired in the first place). I predicted a while ago that he would be gone by july 4th. That probably isn't likely at this point, but if we continue to lose ground up to the all star break, they have to cook his goose. I don't care what is IQ is. He sucks as a manager.

I don't think that for most of the guys. I think there is some frustration and some shrugging of shoulders going on, but take Justin Verlander. Do you think anyone is more frustrated by his performance than he is? I doubt it. But beyond that, I don't know how they are with each other. I found it kind of odd that there was no retaliation for Victor getting hit last night. I know it hit his feet, but I don't believe for a second that it was an accident.

I think most of the players are playing up to their expectations, so I don't think lack of effort or not caring is the problem. I think they aren't as good as we thought. Anyway, if Ausmus is fired, the boring, safe choice would be Gardenhire. I'd like to see them go in a different direction. Since the team is built around Latinos and they seem to like the organization, maybe it's time to hire a Latino manager. Maybe they can hire Ozzie Guillen and he can go all Billy Martin for a year or two. If you guys want to shake it up, that might do it.

The same Joe Maddon that managed a team to finish 20 games out of first last year, yet his replacement has the team only a game back?

The same Joe Madden that won manager of the year a few times and took mediocre TB teams to the playoffs while being in one of the toughest divisions in baseball.

How effective would it be if the team's fans just didn't turn up to the games?

I am not a fair weather fan, but it seems to me that Mr. Ilitch should be given a message to rectify this problem . . . and if DD or Ausmus become the casualties, then so be it! Two years ago the Tigers had the best rotation in baseball, now it seems that none of them can be relied on or have some kind of attitude problem caused by knowing that the offence and bullpen will just fail anyway.

This is good. After Mike Illitch has spent millions on this team, we need to send him a message after four straight division titles and the team playing 500 and only two games out of the playoffs.

They are inspired by winning, what person isn't competitive and wants to win at whatever they do? And these people aren't just regular people, they are the best athletes in the world that probably were winners at every stage of baseball in their lives until the Majors, so I highly doubt that any of these guys likes losing or doesn't care if they lose. It would be foolish to think that they aren't wired to want to win and do whatever it takes to win.

I agree with this. Elite athletes or elite people in any profession thrive on being competitive. They will do anything and everything to get ahead.

The same Joe Madden that won manager of the year a few times and took mediocre TB teams to the playoffs while being in one of the toughest divisions in baseball.

Was it Maddon or the players? They had a stacked farm system for years and they just so happened to all come to the majors right when Maddon started winning those awards. When you have the likes of David Price, James Shields, Alex Cobb, Chris Archer, Matt Moore, Jeremy Hellickson among others in your rotation, to go along with always having a dominant bullpen it makes it pretty easy to manage.

Really? I have always try to stay away from my managers. :classic: How do we even know that the Tigers have a bad attitude? Teams always look like they aren't tying when they lose.

I think most of the players are playing up to their expectations, so I don't think lack of effort or not caring is the problem. I think they aren't as good as we thought. Anyway, if Ausmus is fired, the boring, safe choice would be Gardenhire. I'd like to see them go in a different direction. Since the team is built around Latinos and they seem to like the organization, maybe it's time to hire a Latino manager. Maybe they can hire Ozzie Guillen and he can go all Billy Martin for a year or two. If you guys want to shake it up, that might do it.

I'm thinking the 1st to fall might be Jeff Jones. Jones seemed like he was always straightening someone out during JL's tenure - at various points Porcello, Scherzer, JV. Seems to be fewer success stories coming out of the pitching coach's corner under Brad Ausmus. Maybe something is missing in the working relationship between Jones and Ausmus that was there under JL - who knows? But I'm bothered that we have three maybe 4 pitchers right now whose stuff is better than their results. This is exactly the situation where you expect a pitching coach to have an impact, and right now we aren't seeing one - so I would think that would mean Jones is at risk if a couple of these guys don't come around soon.

When asked about the vibe in the clubhouse rajai Davis replied "I don't know what this clubhouse is."

That about says it all. May not be all brads fault, but you can objectively say he hasn't been very good at all and has very little feel for baseball. Which is the most surprising part.

Wow 3 years ago everybody wanted Leyland gone and you got what you wanted. Someone who embraced all this new sabermetric stuff and just 2 years later everyone is turning on him.

Wow 3 years ago everybody wanted Leyland gone and you got what you wanted. Someone who embraced all this new sabermetric stuff and just 2 years later everyone is turning on him.

Ausmus is not sabermetric at all. Everybody just assumed he was because he's a young ivy leaguer. He said himself he's not into sabermetrics.