Oblong

Lidstrom HOF bound today... Sergei too.

Yep, I remember watching that game against Montreal and him raising his hands in the air in triumph after a sarcastic cheer. Watched that one with my friend Jon.

I really enjoyed Roy walking across his coach on the bench to tell the GM it was either him or the coach leaving after he was finally pulled.

I forgot Vernon was brought in after 1995.... I was temporarily thinking it was the loss in 1996.

Coffey and Dino's legacy I think would have been different in this city if they were Cup winners. There was quite a bit of turnover from the 96 to 97 team. Coffey, Ciceralli, Bob Errey, Stu Grimson, Greg Johnson, Primeau, ... Ray Sheppard was traded for Larionov so you didn't have the Russian 5 yet.

Sheppard was traded for Larionov shortly into the 95/96 season, and the Russian 5 were a big part of the reason the Wings got to 62 wins that year.

Wow, Keith Gave is still around?

I have to agree with what he says and I like the idea of honoring the Russian 5, as opposed to just Sergei.

With Lidstrom and Yzerman, I think it was just as much how they conducted themselves off the ice as well as on. They set a really high standard.

Can't get the link right now, but did anyone hear Nick on 97.1? He was talking about how he was Sergei's room mate on the road and he'd be under the covers in the middle of the night talking to Anna K. on the phone. (I hope that's all he was doing under the covers:shocked:). I think his quirky personality kind of works against him. You hear everyone say what a great player he was, but can't say I've heard many rave about what a great guy he is.

I expected him to get into the Hall of Fame, just sort of surprised it was on his first time on the ballot.

Keith went to Dallas to cover the Stars and then came back to Michigan and taught at a college in mid Michigan. Fox Sports hired him a few months ago to write columns. He's a family friend.

My brother told me the other day about attending a sportman's dinner n Sarnia in 1990 with the speakers being Fidrych, Denny McLain and Sarnia native Shawn Burr accompanying fresh off the boat Sergei Fedorov. Those sportman's dinners were great. I attended one as an 8th grader when Gretzky attended in his rookie year. And in the mid-70s when the speakers were Chi Chi Rodrigues and Dick Vitale - between those 2 I can't imagine anyone else there getting a word in edgewise.

Keith went to Dallas to cover the Stars and then came back to Michigan and taught at a college in mid Michigan. Fox Sports hired him a few months ago to write columns. He's a family friend.

Yep, and I remember him on WDFN with Butch Stearns in the mornings. When I was a kid, I'd have to steal our neighbors Free Press from their trash pile to read the Free Press' Wings coverage because my dad wouldn't buy the "liberal" paper. Ha. Always liked that he was more outspoken and critical than Cynthia Lambert. Glad he got another shot at writing columns.