Oblong

Lidstrom HOF bound today... Sergei too.

it's only a peeve in the sense I think it injects some negativity towards the player and I don't think that's fair. A contract wasn't mutally acceptable.

Not a big deal, hence it being a peeve.

Lots of great memories from the mid 90s through the early 2000s -- due in large part to the likes of Lidstrom and Fedorov.

Where does Lidstrom rank among all time greats in Detroit sports? I put him very high....

of my lifetime I think he's probably the best ever. More so than Cabrera or Barry.

I rank Barry the highest in my lifetime.

Lidstrom was the greatest Wing in my lifetime - greater than Yzerman.

I tend to agree, but this could be argued ad nauseam. We have been fortunate to have a lot of outstanding talent on our Detroit area pro teams throughout our lifetimes.

Cabrera is the greatest, then Barry, then Lidstrom. Fedorov is probably a close second behind Lidstrom on the wings, followed closely by yzerman.

it's only a peeve in the sense I think it injects some negativity towards the player and I don't think that's fair. A contract wasn't mutally acceptable.

Not a big deal, hence it being a peeve.

See, I think it's completely fair to inject negativity toward fedorov on that issue. The fact it wasn't mutually acceptable is more on Sergei than wings management in my opinion. I think he was being overly greedy.

I see one report that Sergei was seeking a four year deal at 6 million per year and the wings were offering 5 million per year at the same length. There wasn't another team in the league offering him that much. In my view, the market had spoken, and it was on him for not accepting the offered deal. If he was worth 6 at the time, one of the other 29 teams would have offered it.

I'd have the same order as Shelton but would put Yzerman ahead of Fedorov. Fedorov may have been as key as Yzerman to the Cup years, but Yzerman did some amazing things prior to that in the 10 years after being drafted.

It would be great to find a telecast of a random Wings game from say January 1996. What a peak.

The Wings were up 2-0 in the series with the Blues that spring and went to OT in Game 3. Score the next goal and they likely sweep the Blues or win in 5 and a rested Wings should have been enough to get by Avs and have an easy SCF matchup versus Florida.

Edited by lordstanley

It would be great to find a telecast of a random Wings game from say January 1996. What a peak.

I watched every minute of every game that year. I had just graduated college and was living on my own for the first time.

That team just flat rolled other teams.

I believe when his career is over I'll put Cabrera over everyone but as of right now I wouldn't. I consider career length and right now it's only 7 years. Not enough yet.

I watched every minute of every game that year. I had just graduated college and was living on my own for the first time.

That team just flat rolled other teams.

It's a damn shame that season didn't result in the cup. That has to be the best wings team of our generation, right? I think the 2002 hall of fame players thing is cool, but a lot of those guys were at the tail ends of their careers. That team won 51 games and had a goal difference of 64. The 96 team won 62 games and had a goal difference of 144. That's just insane.

The 96 team was better. It just was.

Then they lost to the Avalanche. Motherhumper.

It would be like if the 84 Tigers lost to the Royals in the ALCS or something.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

If they had won in 96 do you think 97 turns out different? Or 98?

Would they have gotten Vernon? Hell, would they have gotten Shanahan?

Vernon was already on the team in 96, so that decision wouldn't have been impacted.

I think Paul Coffey would have been traded regardless - Bowman was getting frustrated with him.

Depending on how 96 play-offs went, perhaps Keith Primeau would have cemented his place on the team, so maybe a Shanahan deal wouldn't have been in the cards.

Vernon was already on the team in 96, so that decision wouldn't have been impacted.

I think Paul Coffey would have been traded regardless - Bowman was getting frustrated with him.

Depending on how 96 play-offs went, perhaps Keith Primeau would have cemented his place on the team, so maybe a Shanahan deal wouldn't have been in the cards.

Impossible to say, but I don't think winning the cup in 96 would have necessarily resulted in different moves being made. The wings were the big kid on the block and just took what they wanted. I don't think there was more motivation to do so just because they lost in the playoffs that year. They had the core and the resources to build a dynasty. I don't think deference to cup winner keith primeau would have had an effect. Dude was a donkey.

Dude was a donkey. But they also were waiting for him to turn the corner. If he showed well in the play-offs, I think it would have delayed the trade / release decision on him.

Similarly - I think the Wings wanted to develop Martin LaPointe and held onto him quite a bit longer than they would have a less promising prospect.

By that definition, isn't a holdout something that you only see in the NFL?

Yashin held out when he still had a contract in Ottawa, so it does happen in hockey too.

You can count me among those who want 91 in the rafters, he was my favorite player growing up.

Yashin held out when he still had a contract in Ottawa, so it does happen in hockey too.

You can count me among those who want 91 in the rafters, he was my favorite player growing up.

I think that he was one of the better overall (all-around) talents that the league has seen. I would like to see his number raised as well.

I forgot Vernon was brought in after 1995.... I was temporarily thinking it was the loss in 1996.

Coffey and Dino's legacy I think would have been different in this city if they were Cup winners. There was quite a bit of turnover from the 96 to 97 team. Coffey, Ciceralli, Bob Errey, Stu Grimson, Greg Johnson, Primeau, ... Ray Sheppard was traded for Larionov so you didn't have the Russian 5 yet.

I forgot Vernon was brought in after 1995.... I was temporarily thinking it was the loss in 1996.

Coffey and Dino's legacy I think would have been different in this city if they were Cup winners. There was quite a bit of turnover from the 96 to 97 team. Coffey, Ciceralli, Bob Errey, Stu Grimson, Greg Johnson, Primeau, ... Ray Sheppard was traded for Larionov so you didn't have the Russian 5 yet.

Not to nitpick, but Vernon was brought in prior to the 1995 season. I distinctly recall him in goal against the Devils in the cup finals that year. Game 1 of that series was the only cup finals game I have been to, and I remember vividly him getting scored at the end where I was sitting.

yeah I wrote that wrong.... dammit. I DO remember this stuff.

For steve chaisson, RIP.

An interesting piece of this book on the Avs/Wings rivalry was around that game in teh 1995 season against Montreal, Roy's last game. That got the ball rolling to get him to Colorado and Lemieux's performance in 1995 led to some contract issues that led to him going to Colorado. He had something like Vernon involving a faxed contract being disputed... remember that with the Wings? I think they were trying to get out of it.

Yep, I remember watching that game against Montreal and him raising his hands in the air in triumph after a sarcastic cheer. Watched that one with my friend Jon.

Now that's a singular event you can point to that altered the wings' history. Still, the heartbreak of 96 and the redemption of 97 and 98, and the 2002 game 7 make it ok.