Oblong

Lidstrom HOF bound today... Sergei too.

I remember at the NHL awards ceremony when Lidstrom won his 6th or 7th Norris Trophy, they had children walk out on the stage with the award winner when the trophy was handed out. The children wore replica jerseys of the player they went on stage with.

In any event, the jersey worn by the kid who went onto stage with Nick read Lindstrom on the back. I still can't believe the NHL screwed that up.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Federov will be interesting. I think for a time he was the main focal point of the old school animosity toward the Wings and Euro players since he was the player who was so clearly, strong, fast, and skilled, just so plain dominant that you just couldn't maintain the argument that the Euro players weren't as good or tough as Canadians. That's all history now more or less, but the selection committee are old guys aren't they?? ;)

Edited by Gehringer_2

Bit of a pet peeve in that article... they refer to his missing time at the beginning of 97-98 season as a holdout. It wasn't a holdout. He didn't have a contract. To me a holdout is when the player is not in camp because he wants another contract.

Japers' Rink

‏@JapersRink

In his last season in the NHL (2008-09), 39-year-old Sergei Fedorov had the highest CF% in the League (61.2%)

Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com NHL Player Stats - On Ice Corsi Stats/Ratings 200809

You all will be happy at who was #2 as well, though most of the team rounds out the top 30.

Watching that '96 team as a Wings fan had be like being a Yankee fan in '27 or a Habs fan of the great Richard teams. Half the time the other team didn't look like they were even playing the same game against those guys.

I'd have loved to see that team go against the '83 Oilers, though with Fuhr they probably would have the advantage.

Edited by Gehringer_2

9 Red Wing hall of famers from that era now. Versus Chicago's eventual 2 (Kane, Toews) maybe 3 or 4 (Hossa, Keith). Hawks fans need to stop saying they are the best team since the '80s, that is silly.

9 Red Wing hall of famers from that era now. Versus Chicago's eventual 2 (Kane, Toews) maybe 3 or 4 (Hossa, Keith). Hawks fans need to stop saying they are the best team since the '80s, that is silly.

The perfect human and Feds played together and now are inducted into the HOF together. That gives the 2002 Wings 9 HOF players, with only Datsyuk left to go. Lets not forget the HOF coach on the bench either. So, probably a total of 12 including coaches.

It's cool to say the "classic" thing is better especially online... but that 2002 team would not only beat the 70s Habs or 80s Oilers but I doubt it would be close because of how the sport evolved so quickly even in just 10 years. They were playing much, much better competition. They were facing more highly evolved defenses and individual defenseman / forwards with more sophisticated coaching. They had the best dman of all time, best coach, ridiculous depth to the point where maybe the best pure shooter of all time was on the third line with a rookie who would go on to become the best player in the league in a few years. I mean Robatialle and Larionov on the 4th line? Montreal couldn't keep up or stop that firepower with a defense from the 70s no matter how good. The 2002 Wings played better teams and won. The 80s Oilers might put up more of a fight but again the game changed quite a bit. I doubt they keep pace in a shootout. I doubt it even becomes a shootout against that Wings team. The 80s Oilers couldn't just rag the puck all day, they'd get wrecked.

AND THEN. Imagine you get past alllll that, then you have to score one the guy I'd choose as the best goalie of all time. A freak who could get in your head before you even dropped the puck.

Yeah, right. The 2002 Red Wings are the best team in the history of the NHL.

The game of the last 15 years is much faster than the game of 30 years ago.

Though the coaching match-up between 02 Wings and 70's Canadiens is probably a push.

Will the Wings retire Fed's number?

I highly doubt it, considering the way he left. He probably deserves it though.

Though the coaching match-up between 02 Wings and 70's Canadiens is probably a push.

I see what you did there. Ha.

The game of the last 15 years is much faster than the game of 30 years ago.

Detroit's coach was mellower and more experienced than Montreal's.

Will the Wings retire Fed's number?

They will now. Things have been patched up for a few years now. I think they were waiting for the Hall Of Fame confirmation - now they have it. #91 and #30 will eventually be retired.

They will now. Things have been patched up for a few years now. I think they were waiting for the Hall Of Fame confirmation - now they have it. #91 and #30 will eventually be retired.

I agree. A few years ago I would've said no way, but enough time has passed, and enough nostalgia is there for it to happen.

Yeah, I think the passage of time and now the HOF induction pretty much seals the deal. It's the right thing to do.

I remember at the NHL awards ceremony when Lidstrom won his 6th or 7th Norris Trophy, they had children walk out on the stage with the award winner when the trophy was handed out. The children wore replica jerseys of the player they went on stage with.

In any event, the jersey worn by the kid who went onto stage with Nick read Lindstrom on the back. I still can't believe the NHL screwed that up.

CIuCu6-UAAAFSgG.jpg

Bit of a pet peeve in that article... they refer to his missing time at the beginning of 97-98 season as a holdout. It wasn't a holdout. He didn't have a contract. To me a holdout is when the player is not in camp because he wants another contract.

By that definition, isn't a holdout something that you only see in the NFL?

I think it's fair to describe a restricted free agent that hasn't signed an offer sheet midway through the season as being a holdout.

It should be called something, because what he did wasn't cool. The whole thing was stupid, because there was no incentive to another team signing him to an offer sheet because there was no way the wings weren't matching. So the rest of the league could just sit and watch while the best team in the league had to play without its best player because he wouldn't accept the offer on the table.

Do leagues these days have rules in place that prevent this from happening. Like, you make a qualifying offer and if no offer sheet signed by the start of the season you get the one year deal?

Anyway, congrats to Sergei. One of the best players I have ever seen. Not sure I would retire his number. You don't get to leave in your early 30s and get that honor from a team like the wings.

Doesn't the restricted part just mean they hold the right to match the offer? He's still a free agent, correct? Is he in any way under the employment of the Detroit Red Wings at that point?

Whether the wings were going to match or not is irrelevant as that's a subjective. If they had another restricted free agent that they didn't intend to keep yet no other team wanted either, would they also be a holdout?

Fedorov had no contract and was yet unable to come to terms with the Wings. I don't see that as a holdout. Holding out means you are choosing not to come to camp. He's probably not allowed to be in camp without a contract.

Is a drafted player in MLB who doesn't come to an agreement with the team that drafts him a holdout?

I just think it's too much focus on coming to camp.

Of course he wasn't employed. But I still view that as a holdout because the wings were offering him a contract. There were terms available that he could accept and be in camp. That's not all that different from having a contract signed that you don't want to participate under.

He was holding out from signing a contract in the hope that better terms would become available.

It's different, but I don't think the term is necessarily incorrect. But that's why it's a peeve of yours, I guess.

I guess I just think there is more than one type of holdout.

I would say a drafted player that doesn't sign is holding out, sure.