RedRamage

ARod 3000th hit ball

On the radio this morning they were talking about this and I read a couple of quick blurbs on this as well.

The guy who caught the ball is supposedly a "professional" home run catcher... He's supposedly has some 8,000 balls that he caught... though I don't know how many were in-game vs. batting practice. But he's also written a book on it.

He's holding onto the ball for now though at least one report is that he's been offered $300K for it. There are some who are saying he should just give it to ARod like the Jeter fan did with Jeter's 3K hit.

My first inclination would be to fork it over to the player... Maybe get some swag for it. This is what I'd probably do in many situations if I was the catcher. But I'm assuming most balls are not really worth that much. I'm thinking "first career home run" or "first career hit" type balls. But this ball... this is like winning the lottery. $300K is nothing to sneeze at for the average working joe. Even if you're making a solid $100K salary, this is a 3-years worth of wages... this is the equivalent of a really good house in a nice neighborhood. As one person put it: Life changing money for the average joe.

And ARod ain't exactly living paycheck to paycheck. If he wanted the ball he could easily fork up the reported $300K. That's not even 1.2% of his salary this year.

I think if I caught a milestone-type ball that Cabrera hit, for example, I'd want to see Cabrera get it if he wanted it. But if we're talking money of this magnitude I wouldn't just give it away. I'd probably entertain offers from people but give the Tigers and/or Cabrera a chance to match any offer I got.

There's no way A-Rod is paying $300K for that ball. Consider it lost.

Anyway, it's the ballhawk's ball to keep and do with what he likes. Personally, I hope he doesn't get boo for the ball.

Its just a ball and only worth whatever someone wants to pay for it. I wouldnt feel anything special towards it. I also wouldn't feel bad catching it and trying to barter for it. If I was offered 300K for it I sure would sell it. Are you kidding? I could retire a lot earlier with that coin.

There are some who are saying he should just give it to ARod like the Jeter fan did with Jeter's 3K hit.

Didn't the person who caught Jeter's get a crazy package of luxury suites for the rest of the season and other additional memorabilia and such?

Saw the dude got the yankees to contribute 150K to a baseball related charity, which was a nice thing, as well as give him memorabilia, tickets and a seat next to Arod at the press conference about this.

Personally, I think the charity angle is very nice. However, it might have been difficult for me to not call a press conference and have the damn ball blown up bartman style in the Yankee stadium parking lot for all to see, then donate my own money to charity. Arod is a disgrace to the game and I don't think I would have given the guy the satisfaction of ever getting the ball back.