ROMAD1

What will the 2016 roster look like?

So, just because. What do folks think the 2016 roster will look like?

The age and big contracts will be a concern. I'm not sure we keep Cespedes if we think we have similar production coming from Moya or some other FA who might be less expensive.

We know Dave has the ability to identify the key area of need and then deal from his strength to fill that need (Gose for Travis as but one example).

--Luckily FA SP class will be good this year. Price probably gone?

--We will need to replace or sign Cespedes

--We need to decide if Castellanos is going to work

--Is McCann the answer at C. I assume Avila is gone due to his contract.

--Kinsler is a FA too right?

Kinsler is signed through 2017 with a 2018 option.

Cots might be helpful for this thread.

Kinsler is signed through 2017 with a 2018 option.

Cots might be helpful for this thread.

Sorry, i was in surg....JK

Cespedes, Chamberlain, Davis, Gorellanny, Price, Simon, and Soria are FA after this season.

Last one out, please close the window.

Last one out, please close the window.

I think I'd expect the window to become a different window within a season. I just want to know that we've moved on. We aren't still running Magglio, Carlos Guilen and Craig Monroe out there. The only 2006 alumn is JV and he's broke. Our roster is radically different than the 2012 World Series team as well.

That's five draft picks. Just kidding, but I would expect the Tigers to get a pick for losing Price.

Cespedes isn't exactly having an awesome year so perhaps the Tigers will be able to outbid what any other team offers him. David Price is probably future HOF and his ego (not a bad thing) will tell him that Detroit does not have adequate offensive production (or bullpen backup) to be able for him to realise his dream. He will want too much of a pay day.

Detroit will sign Soria for whatever he asks for and probably make an acceptable offer to Simon wlth some of the money that would have gone Price's way.

Edited by Tigers4F4

Cespedes, Chamberlain, Davis, Gorellanny, Price, Simon, and Soria are FA after this season.

I think that Soria is the only lock to be brought back. BTW, Nathan is gone as well.

I kinda think we might be dealing away pieces at the deadline.

I think I'd expect the window to become a different window within a season. I just want to know that we've moved on. We aren't still running Magglio, Carlos Guilen and Craig Monroe out there. The only 2006 alumn is JV and he's broke. Our roster is radically different than the 2012 World Series team as well.

I think JV, Avila and Cabrera are the only guys left from 2011. That's why this windows stuff is absurd.

edit: also AlAl

Edited by Yoda

Let's look at the start of the 2013 season.

C - Avila

1B - Fielder

2B - Infante

SS - Peralta

3B - Cabrera

RF - Hunter

CF - Jackson

LF - Dirks

Every position except catcher has changed in just two seasons. Every single one. Cabrera and Avila are the only returning starters and Alex is probably gone next year.

The roster is constantly evolving.

The Tigers will probably have to reload next year. I wouldn't re-sign Cespedes, they have plenty of talent between Fields, Collins and Moya to choose from. They might get a nice package back if they were to trade JD in the off-season. The starting pitchers might consist of Buck Farmer, Kyle Lobstein, Verlander, Sanchez, and another. I don't think they are going to win long term if they continue to spend bigger every year. The organization has a lot of work to do.

Edited by cruzer1

The Tigers will probably have to reload next year. I wouldn't re-sign Cespedes, they have plenty of talent between Fields, Collins and Moya to choose from. They might get a nice package back if they were to trade JD in the off-season. The starting pitchers might consist of Buck Farmer, Kyle Lobstein, Verlander, Sanchez, and another. I don't think they are going to win long term if they continue to spend bigger every year. The organization has a lot of work to do.

JD is a puzzle. He seemed like a nice core hitter. What he was doing in 2014 was amazing. I haven't heard the loud crack of his bat in a while.

So you want to go with Gose and two rookies/replacement level players in the OF?

So you want to go with Gose and two rookies/replacement level players in the OF?

They have to do something. JD is probably their most tradeable asset right now. The Tigers are very thin right now. They need some talent in the organization, and they need to bottom out for that to happen.

Gardenhire as the manager.

Managers have little to no affect on the game. Its impossible to quantify one manager over another.

Managers have little to no affect on the game. Its impossible to quantify one manager over another.

Leadership is a difficult quality to quantify. The right kind of leadership for the Detroit market is also hard to quantify. Leyland, being the hard nosed guy from down I-75 was probably the perfect personality for it. Sparky being a goofy, but emotional (e.g., CATCH charity), but really a Patton/Rommel (my way or the highway) was also a very good fit for different reasons.

The sources of authority can be different: Raw intellect and surfer cool is what Brad Ausmus is supposed to bring to the table. When the bullets have flown recently and in the 2014 playoffs have we seen much benefit of those attributes?

Leadership is a difficult quality to quantify. The right kind of leadership for the Detroit market is also hard to quantify. Leyland, being the hard nosed guy from down I-75 was probably the perfect personality for it. Sparky being a goofy, but emotional (e.g., CATCH charity), but really a Patton/Rommel (my way or the highway) was also a very good fit for different reasons.

The sources of authority can be different: Raw intellect and surfer cool is what Brad Ausmus is supposed to bring to the table. When the bullets have flown recently and in the 2014 playoffs have we seen much benefit of those attributes?

What does the Detroit market have to do with what kind of manager is suitable to the Tigers? I don't think the Tigers represent the Detroit market in any way. Half the team was not even born in this country and only a small fraction are from the midwest.

What does the Detroit market have to do with what kind of manager is suitable to the Tigers? I don't think the Tigers represent the Detroit market in any way. Half the team was not even born in this country and only a small fraction are from the midwest.

Like it or not the manager is the public face of the franchise. He's the guy who talks to the media all the time. Those things are self-evident when considering a leader for a business whose customer base thinks and acts and expects a certain mentality.

I have often thought the Detroit baseball/sports market is schizoid and self-deluded. But, given that there is a huge number of people in Detroit who think that we are this gritty blue collar midwestern bastion of hard work and gritty grittedness it makes sense to have a public face who relates to that "experience'.

the Pistons hit the perfect note with "Back to Work" and the Bad Boys. FAFW was and maybe will be a perfectly rendered extension of that ideal.

They have to do something. JD is probably their most tradeable asset right now. The Tigers are very thin right now. They need some talent in the organization, and they need to bottom out for that to happen.

That only makes sense once it is clear they are too many unattainable pieces from contending. They aren't at that point yet.