holygoat

Jabrill Peppers calls NCAA stipend "Indentured Servitude"

Oh please.

Also, let's not equate indentured service (a voluntary contractual practice) with slavery.

I'm a Michigan fan but Mr. Peppers (who has played in what, 2 games) would do well to keep these kinds of comments to himself.

Rock that boat son! On the day that the corruption that is FIFA goes down, I don't mind seeing shots taken at the NCAA.

I'm not saying athletes don't get anything in return, but with certain guys it's like a 5/95 or worse split.

I don't have a problem with the comments. Once they move out of the dorms, they are not on the meal plan. They only get like 4k per semester for housing costs and food.

It's enough to scrape by, sure. But that's a pretty threadbare experience. They are also limited by the amount of money they can make in summer jobs.

I'm not a pay the athletes advocate, but they should get a bit more than they currently do.

Celebrity and free tuition and Adidas gear is a large perk. But they aren't given the ability to make money for a lot of the other things that a typical college kid takes for granted.

He is right. No valid reason athletes can't make money on their own accord.

If someone wanted to pay Tim Tebow to speak at an event when he was in college, why should the NCAA have anything to say about that? IS college supposed to be about minimizing income potentials? Isn't that what college is about? Bettering yourself? Many of these student athletes are missing out on prime money making time. They will never be more popular or recognizable, yet you're restricted from making money.

Schools shouldn't pay athletes, but there should be no limits, within law, on how they make their money.

I don't have a problem with the comments. Once they move out of the dorms, they are not on the meal plan. They only get like 4k per semester for housing costs and food.

It's enough to scrape by, sure. But that's a pretty threadbare experience. They are also limited by the amount of money they can make in summer jobs.

I'm not a pay the athletes advocate, but they should get a bit more than they currently do.

Celebrity and free tuition and Adidas gear is a large perk. But they aren't given the ability to make money for a lot of the other things that a typical college kid takes for granted.

A lot of players seem to have a lot of money while they are playing in the NCAA and they don't complain. Of course a lot of programs and players are not exactly clean either. So I don't have a problem either if Peppers is trying to do it my the rules and wants to complain it ain't exactly fair. That's a big 'IF' of course.

If someone wanted to pay Tim Tebow to speak at an event when he was in college, why should the NCAA have anything to say about that? IS college supposed to be about minimizing income potentials? Isn't that what college is about? Bettering yourself? Many of these student athletes are missing out on prime money making time. They will never be more popular or recognizable, yet you're restricted from making money.

Schools shouldn't pay athletes, but there should be no limits, within law, on how they make their money.

I agree. I'll add that the reason why the NCAA cares about athletes marketing themselves, is if Tim Tebow can market himself while in college, that means less marketing moolah for the NCAA.

The income distribution is incredibly unfair, but that's not much different than many employer employee situations.

I think the rules are put in place to attempt to keep things fair on and off the field. As soon as you open the door for sponsorship or marketing, you run the risk of schools indirectly paying players through their donors that would provide these opportunities.

You have to draw the line somewhere. And by drawing that line, you need to make good by providing the players with something to cover what the restrictions prevent.

Not all athletes are poor, and they do get a room and board allowance that they spend on whatever they please. If your parents can afford to give you rent and food money, that's like 1500 a month you can use on a car lease.

The truly poor athletes have a hard time making ends meet. A more accurate full cost of attendance stipend would go a long way, and last I checked there were various proposals on the table to provide that.

He's got money for tattoos. Sorry. Priorities. College is about choices.

I agree. I'll add that the reason why the NCAA cares about athletes marketing themselves, is if Tim Tebow can market himself while in college, that means less marketing moolah for the NCAA.

You'll notice that the majority of top rated BB players choose college over the NBDL. I don't have that much sympathy for these kids. They want all of the hype and the brightest spotlight that existed before them and will exist after them, plus more than free tuition, academic support, training table dining, dorm room and board, etc.? The average student graduates up to their eyeballs in debt with diminishing returns on their diploma. If they swing a job in college they aren't likely to make enough to pay for what are called perks for the average BB or FB player.

I'd prefer the NFL quit using college as a farm system. Let's see them come up with something to compete for college bound talent.

Oh please, let's not compare playing Division 1 football on full scholarship with indentured servitude. He can leave whenever he likes. No one is going to hunt him down and bring him back to Ann Arbor and force him to play football. Go play Arena ball if the NCAA rules are not to your liking. Or move back into the dorms.

This is not about paying players, which I have no problem with if the NCAA ever decides to allow it. This is about Peppers accusing the NCAA of not providing players with enough food, which is simply false.

NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for athletes | AL.com

If Peppers is going hungry he has no one to blame but himself.

Did you even read the article you posted?

Yes I did. There is no reason for Jabrill to go hungry. If he is, it's his own fault.

Also, he is not an indentured servant. Someone needs to pull him aside and teach what indentured servitude really means. Then suggest he delete his twitter account and concentrate on school and football. And maybe teach him how to budget his money better. Perhaps moving back on campus really would be the best thing for him if is is not capable of properly budgeting his NCAA checks.

Indentured servitude? Sounds like grad school.

Yeah, no kidding. Most of today's brightest scientific minds have all complained crap stipends at some point in their lives. And that's if they're fortunate enough to get one.

Much of the negativity in this thread reeks of GET OFF MY LAWN.

Yeah, no kidding. Most of today's brightest scientific minds have all complained crap stipends at some point in their lives. And that's if they're fortunate enough to get one.

Much of the negativity in this thread reeks of GET OFF MY LAWN.

I think that it is safe to say that every PhD student likely is held onto in a grad program at least one year too long. Considering that I am being paid 80k more this year than last and have to do about half the amount of actual research work, I think that the gripes are legitimate. And don't even get me started on post docs, but we are digressing to another topic.

I think that it is safe to say that every PhD student likely is held onto in a grad program at least one year too long. Considering that I am being paid 80k more this year than last and have to do about half the amount of actual research work, I think that the gripes are legitimate. And don't even get me started on post docs, but we are digressing to another topic.

Walt thread.

Yes I did. There is no reason for Jabrill to go hungry. If he is, it's his own fault.

Also, he is not an indentured servant. Someone needs to pull him aside and teach what indentured servitude really means. Then suggest he delete his twitter account and concentrate on school and football. And maybe teach him how to budget his money better. Perhaps moving back on campus really would be the best thing for him if is is not capable of properly budgeting his NCAA checks.

This really does sound a lot like a get off my lawn viewpoint.

No, he doesn't need to be educated about what indentured service really means, and he doesn't need to delete his Twitter account to focus on school and football.

As for budgeting his checks, he's probably doing exactly that. If he wasn't he would just go out and buy more food (unless we to presume that he is down to zero, which I find to be unlikely).

The point is, they shouldn't have to live pillar to post on these paltry room and board checks, but the kids without financial support from their families basically have to do that.

Hopefully when full cost of attendance goes into effect in August it will provide a bit more of a buffer. But until then I think it's fair to cut these kids a break when they use a metaphor to describe the tiny amount of compensation they are given.

Oh the poor post docs. The only thing they had going for them was if there was a grad student in their lab to boss around. I mean, the grad student should have really been feeling sorry for the post doc, but most were too naive to know this.

The 1 year too long is very true. If I had to give any grad student advice, it'd be to find the lab where people graduate the quickest. There's usually 1 around that is all business and turns them out relatively quickly. And even if you like it now, by the 3rd/4th year you'll want to board the quickest train to Lemmeouttaheresville.

Anyways, Walt thread.