RedRamage

How much longer do we wait for Castellanos?

Nick's hitting is nothing special.

On a good offense he is probably the 3rd or 4th best hitter.

Also there is little evidence that protection, or lack thereof, impacts hitter effectiveness for the vast majority of hitters.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Nick's hitting is nothing special.

On a good offense he is probably the 3rd or 4th best hitter.

Also there is little evidence that protection, or lack thereof, impacts hitter effectiveness for the vast majority of hitters.

I don't think it significantly impacts their ability to hit psychologically.  However, Having a good hitter in back of your best hitter makes it more difficult for pitchers to pitch around your best hitter.  Of course, that doesn't apply to Castellanos as not many are going to pitch around him  anyway.  

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Jacoby Jones is surprisingly at 1.8 WAR which would make him an average contributor.  It is, of course, almost entirely based on his defense. 

Castellanos is sitting at 1.9 WAR.

Discuss

1 hour ago, roarintiger1 said:

Remember back when everyone was concerned that the Tigers had no one to bat behind Cabrera to protect him in the order?   Well, Nick has done pretty well for not having anyone protecting him for most of this year.  Nor sure what this means....just an observation.

I don’t remember anyone worried about a lack of protection behind nick, to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Discuss

We are going to need more guys that are sitting at 3.9 war this time of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Discuss

If we believe that Jones is as great as his defensive numbers say this year and he can repeat them as the every day center fielder, then they would make a comparable contribution to the team in terms of wins with the same offensive production as this year.  

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Discuss

What's your WAR baby?

I tend to doubt that Jacoby's defense relative to Nick's saves enough runs to offset the offensive differences between the two.

That written, I think he is quite good and it supports the claim Al Kaline made when he was talking him up a few years ago as the best defensive OF he has seen in the Tigers organization during his time in the front office.  It also supports the claim Avila made that *if* he hits, he would be a star.  But I suppose if Nick could play CF similarly, he'd be a star as well.

In any event, if Jacoby did start hitting well, the Tigers would have to decide to move him to 1B, so the point is somewhat moot.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Do you like moonlight walks and campfires on the beach?

15 hours ago, Shelton said:

I don’t remember anyone worried about a lack of protection behind nick, to be honest.