IdahoBert

2015 MLB DRAFT June 8, 2015 - 6:00 PM

Kade Scivicque Catcher from LSU

Senior sign, potential slot $ savings with that pick. Not much upside, but good defensive skills. Not more than a backup.

Vanderbilt commit, probably a difficult sign.

yeah, that's the only thing I could think of. Pity.

Interesting that Chadd was forward enough to admit that the Tigers had their 'pockets picked' on a couple of their three picks yesterday. I wonder who they might have been targeting? It might be compounded by the fact that KC was drafting in front of us for all of those picks:

1 19 Newman, Kevin Arizona (AZ) SS R/R JR

1 20 Martin, Richie Florida (FL) SS R/R JR

1 21 Russell, Ashe Cathedral HS (IN) RHP R/R HS

1 22 Burrows, Beau Weatherford HS (TX) RHP R/R HS

1 31 Shaw, Chris Boston College (MA) 1B L/R JR

1 32 Hayes, Ke'Bryan Concordia Lutheran HS (TX) 3B R/R HS

1 33 Watson, Nolan Lawrence North HS (IN) RHP R/R HS

1 34 Stewart, Christin Tennessee (TN) OF L/R JR

2 62 Kramer, Kevin UCLA (CA) SS L/R SR

2 63 White, Mikey Alabama (AL) SS R/R JR

2 64 Staumont, Josh Azusa Pacific University (CA) RHP R/R JR

2 65 Alexander, Tyler TCU (TX) LHP R/L SO

I wonder who we may have been targeting that we just missed out on?

Given how the Tigers are playing currently we shouldn't have to worry about the Royals picking ahead of us next year.

Typical Tigers draft so far. Kind of tired of their philosophy. Scouting/Draft areas need an overhaul.

What is their philosophy, as you understand it?

Short high school SPs and college outfielders and JC soft tossing lefties and defensive catchers and dudes that profile as relievers.

He's probably an ***hole too.

I've heard some whoppers from the days Kirk was in Lakeland as a rookie.

Short high school SPs and college outfielders and JC soft tossing lefties and defensive catchers and dudes that profile as relievers.

Haha. pretty much. Another yawn inspiring draft from the Tigers. Only potential premium talent thorugh 5 rounds is Burrows, and they took him about 12 spots earlier than they should had. The Tigers need an overhaul in thier process and scouting department. Seems like they are more interested in building up organizational fodder/each level rosters. None of these guys have any real impact potential other than Burrows. Stewart might surprise if the power continues and he isn't as bad on D as reported everywhere.

Drew Smith could be a good bullpen arm....but you don't take a pitcher who wasn't even the Closer on his college team in the third round to only have a ceiling of a setup guy. A guy like Dakota Chalmers went a few picks earlier. The Tigers have had this dreadful philosophy for longer than I can stand. But everyone else so far....nothing that jumps out. I'm sick of Chadd quite frankly and have no idea how he has a major league job in a front office. And what will happen they will trade what is even left of what we have of system to make some fruitless last run trades that are all shortsighted when any other mindul org would see the writing on the wall and start the process of preventing us from being a doormat for a decade. Won't happen though.

They had a list of how many advanced metric guys each orgranization employes and the Tigers were near dead last of all clubs. Go figure. Behind the times and it shows. We needed some creativity with our window pretty much almost down to zip. I really hope Burrows can become a frontline guy, even if he was the next Greg Holland, that would still be disappointing considering who was still on the board.

I like Cam Gibson. At the very least he has 80 hair.

He'll lose it like his Daddy lol.

I don't know enough about any of the guys mentioned here to *****. I don't know enough about any of the guys we passed on to *****.

I do know that our drafting/developing in recent history has been very poor. Since the days of being able to draft and pay the huge "signability" guys we have really failed to add premium prospects to our system, and that's disheartening. I don't know if the guys we have drafted yesterday/today will continue that trend or mark an improvement, but the fact is we've been pretty poor at it in recent years. We've had just enough prospects to go out and get guys like Soria, Greene, Simon, etc. We haven't had a prospect cable of making a trade like the Cabrera deal really since that deal.

I'm more than OK with using a farm system as trade bait to bring on established players. Doing it that way guarantees you'll have an expensive big league club, but if you're willing to pay for them it's a great way to win. But to sustain it is still dependent on drafting/developing quality talent; nearly as much as relying solely on your farm system to stock your club is. High payroll or no, if we cannot start bringing some quality prospects into this system we're going to be in for a long stretch of dismal baseball...again.

Haha. pretty much. Another yawn inspiring draft from the Tigers. Only potential premium talent thorugh 5 rounds is Burrows, and they took him about 12 spots earlier than they should had. The Tigers need an overhaul in thier process and scouting department. Seems like they are more interested in building up organizational fodder/each level rosters. None of these guys have any real impact potential other than Burrows. Stewart might surprise if the power continues and he isn't as bad on D as reported everywhere.

Drew Smith could be a good bullpen arm....but you don't take a pitcher who wasn't even the Closer on his college team in the third round to only have a ceiling of a setup guy. A guy like Dakota Chalmers went a few picks earlier. The Tigers have had this dreadful philosophy for longer than I can stand. But everyone else so far....nothing that jumps out. I'm sick of Chadd quite frankly and have no idea how he has a major league job in a front office. And what will happen they will trade what is even left of what we have of system to make some fruitless last run trades that are all shortsighted when any other mindul org would see the writing on the wall and start the process of preventing us from being a doormat for a decade. Won't happen though.

They had a list of how many advanced metric guys each orgranization employes and the Tigers were near dead last of all clubs. Go figure. Behind the times and it shows. We needed some creativity with our window pretty much almost down to zip. I really hope Burrows can become a frontline guy, even if he was the next Greg Holland, that would still be disappointing considering who was still on the board.

lol. whoosh.

The Amateur draft is just one way you shape your MLB club. The other is trades, FA signings, and international signings....

these guys are so far removed from contributing that to me it's almost like dungeons and dragons or role playing. It's fun to do but the real impact on the MLB club is like playing the lottery.

I'm not criticizing it or making fun of those who get into it.