IdahoBert

2015 MLB DRAFT June 8, 2015 - 6:00 PM

Interesting that Chadd was forward enough to admit that the Tigers had their 'pockets picked' on a couple of their three picks yesterday. I wonder who they might have been targeting? It might be compounded by the fact that KC was drafting in front of us for all of those picks:

1 19 Newman, Kevin Arizona (AZ) SS R/R JR

1 20 Martin, Richie Florida (FL) SS R/R JR

1 21 Russell, Ashe Cathedral HS (IN) RHP R/R HS

1 22 Burrows, Beau Weatherford HS (TX) RHP R/R HS

1 31 Shaw, Chris Boston College (MA) 1B L/R JR

1 32 Hayes, Ke'Bryan Concordia Lutheran HS (TX) 3B R/R HS

1 33 Watson, Nolan Lawrence North HS (IN) RHP R/R HS

1 34 Stewart, Christin Tennessee (TN) OF L/R JR

2 62 Kramer, Kevin UCLA (CA) SS L/R SR

2 63 White, Mikey Alabama (AL) SS R/R JR

2 64 Staumont, Josh Azusa Pacific University (CA) RHP R/R JR

2 65 Alexander, Tyler TCU (TX) LHP R/L SO

I wonder who we may have been targeting that we just missed out on?

I'm concerned that the Tigers drafted Beau and Christin. Those aren't good baseball names. They sound soft. No grit or moxie there at all.

Believe it or not, the local GR sports show was talking about the names this morning and one of the guys said that Beau Burrows just sounded like a HOF name. I think he was only half joking.

All 3 picks should be under slot guys. Tigers should be able to gamble on some of the high end talent left if they want to.

Believe it or not, the local GR sports show was talking about the names this morning and one of the guys said that Beau Burrows just sounded like a HOF name. I think he was only half joking.

Bo would be OK, but not Beau.

Asking again: Can someone explain briefly the under slot idea and how this effects the draft? I'm thinking there's a set amount of money each team can spend or something? How does this all work?

Just google it.

Your pool is determined by the picks you have. You can't exceed your pool.

Interesting that Chadd was forward enough to admit that the Tigers had their 'pockets picked' on a couple of their three picks yesterday. I wonder who they might have been targeting? It might be compounded by the fact that KC was drafting in front of us for all of those picks:

119Newman, KevinArizona (AZ)SSR/RJR

120Martin, RichieFlorida (FL)SSR/RJR

121Russell, AsheCathedral HS (IN)RHPR/RHS

122Burrows, BeauWeatherford HS (TX)RHPR/RHS

131Shaw, ChrisBoston College (MA)1BL/RJR

132Hayes, Ke'BryanConcordia Lutheran HS (TX)3BR/RHS

133Watson, NolanLawrence North HS (IN)RHPR/RHS

134Stewart, ChristinTennessee (TN)OFL/RJR

262Kramer, KevinUCLA (CA)SSL/RSR

263 White, MikeyAlabama (AL)SSR/RJR

264Staumont, JoshAzusa Pacific University (CA)RHPR/RJR

265Alexander, TylerTCU (TX)LHPR/LSO

I wonder who we may have been targeting that we just missed out on?

Rumors are that the Tigers liked the two guys that KC took before them.

Just google it.

Your pool is determined by the picks you have. You can't exceed your pool.

Yep. If you exceed your pool you pay 75-100% taxes on what you go over, plus you lose 1st round pick(s) the next draft(s).

Also, you can't not sign someone without losing that players slot value. So basically, if you want to exceed your pool for a certain player, you will need to have previously signed another draft pick for under slot.

After the 10th round, you can sign any player up to 100K. Anything over that counts against the pool.

If you can't draft a Beau...how do you countenance an Anibal?

I'm concerned that the Tigers drafted Beau and Christin. Those aren't good baseball names. They sound soft. No grit or moxie there at all.

It's just future trade bait anyway. They prolly asked the Marlins who they wanted so we can package them together in a year or two for Stanton. Trading or signing MLB talent is much more of a sure thing than actually scouting, drafting and developing your own talent.

Drew Smith is the pick - RHP from Texas Baptist. Hard fastball with little movement.

Drew Smith...I actually work with a guy named that.

I used to work with a Josh Hamilton.

The last few years the only guy I worked with (200+ people) with the same name as a MLB player was Bruce Chen.

What are the odds?

Drew Smith is a good baseball name.

Just by the name I would've guessed he was a scrappy middle infielder in the David Eckstein, Adam Kennedy mold, I wouldn't have thought he was a hard throwing pitcher.

From Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs;

Thoughts on Last Night’s Draft Proceedings | FanGraphs Baseball

Only two players went last night who weren’t in my top 202: Tigers second-rounder LHP Tyler Alexander from TCU and Braves comp second-rounder LHP A.J. Minter from Texas A&M. Alexander was in the mix for the list, but has fringy stuff in most outings, although I recently heard his stuff ticked up very late. Of the four teams I asked about the pick to see if I missed something, one liked him as a fifth starter with some feel, for a pick a round or two lower than Detroit took him; another had him on the board for rounds 6-10; a third team was a little lower than that; and a fourth team didn’t turn him in, meaning they weren’t going to draft him.

I used to work with a Josh Hamilton.

The last few years the only guy I worked with (200+ people) with the same name as a MLB player was Bruce Chen.

What are the odds?

decent you'd have to think. The Drew Smith I know claims to be...and we never let him forget how pompous this sounds: "a superior athlete"

He was going to prove it by having a man vs. machine race against a quad drone. I understand that the quad crashed and thereby all bets were off...although I don't think that's how the John Henry vs. the Steam Digger contest is supposed to work.

decent you'd have to think.

The 'what are the odds' comment was to say Bruce Chen, of all names, was the match, not that there was a name match. I wouldn't be surprised with a name match.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I seriously saw Donny Everett as a Tigers projection in round 1 on two different mocks. Any idea why he is still on the board?

The what are the odds comment was to say Bruce Chen, of all names, was the match, not that there was a name match.

ahh...got it.

I wonder if Bruce will be a popular boys name going forward particularly among the less progressive?

I seriously saw Donny Everett as a Tigers projection in round 1 on two different mocks. Any idea why he is still on the board?

Vanderbilt commit, probably a difficult sign.