PuNk42AE

05/21/2015: Houston Astros (Feldman) at Detroit Tigers (Price) - 1:08 PM

As of right now, Avila and McCann are almost equal both offensively and defensively.

It's nice to see no drop off at that position. At the same time, it's still a limited sample. If McCann keeps this up, though, I expect him to keep the job when Avila returns.

Preston Tucker . . . !!!!

Was that revenge for the ORIGINAL Preston Tucker (see the movie with Jeff Bridges) who finally gets one against Detroit?

McCann hits a walk off HR and suddenly it's obvious he is the better catcher. I remember this conversion last year with Brian Holiday.

That's a compelling argument, as always.

Almost as compelling as using the small sample size that is McCann's MLB career and declaring it is obvious he is a better choice than Avila.

McCann looks like a ball player. He's a big Irish American who could have played in any era. You know he plays the game the right way.

That's at least a better argument than using "last year you guys said" as a counter-argument.

I'm happy with McCann in this limited sample so far, but what I'd like to know is who the Tigers pitchers think is the better catcher.

Sanchez doesn't like McCann or Holaday

That's at least a better argument than using "last year you guys said" as a counter-argument.

Only problem is a counter argument wasn't made or intended.

Sanchez doesn't like McCann or Holaday

I've heard Sanchez do interviews. I wonder of Holaday or McCann can even understand him?

Only problem is a counter argument wasn't made or intended.

Then what exactly was your point?

I've heard Sanchez do interviews. I wonder of Holaday or McCann can even understand him?

Sanchez speaks with photographs.

McCann is a product of the underrated Tiger farm system.

Keith Law hates James McCann.

My father actually is an Alabama grad so I'm treading on dangerous waters here. I think his degree was in Learnding

Do you know what the N stands for on a Nebraska helmet? Nolledge.

So far, granted in a very limited sample size, it appears that McCann is pretty much the player that his minor league body of work suggested he would be as a major leaguer. There were a lot of people on here last year who suggested that his minor league stats were irrelevant when considering what kind of major league player he would be, which I never really understood.

How could the Tigers not have seen that a guy who was a career .266 .314 .378 hitter in the minors should be starting every day in MLB?

Just another classic from Dumbrowski

How could the Tigers not have seen that a guy who was a career .266 .314 .378 hitter in the minors ..

that is a bit unfair. McCann' MiLB stats are dragged down mostly by what he did prior to 3 years ago. From AA though AAA he was improving as a hitter faster than his promotion to tougher competition, and that counts for something. It was(is?) not unreasonable based on his last two years, to think he could hit as well as Avila, particularly in terms of BA and slugging. Avila's hitting value comes primarily from his walks, which inflate his OPS more than their actual value (IMO).

I personally think Alex has(had?) the higher ceiling as a hitter, both because he does see the strike zone so well and has a lot of potential power and is LH, where the Tigers are woefully short of power. But it appears at this late date in his career that the one good year with the bat was the outlier, and not the down payment on future performance we had all hoped. The changes he had made so far this year to try and get the ball into the air more consistently have decreased his too high GB rate, but at the expense of a big reduction in hard contact. Of course now we find out the knee has not been right, before that the concussions. Maybe he never should have become a catcher. If he'd stayed at 3rd and stayed healthy, maybe he'd be the hitter he was in 2011. Water under the proverbial bridge....

Edited by Gehringer_2

It was definitely unfair, but the point was going into last year there was zero reason to think McCann was going to be a strong MLB player outside of scouting reports/projections, and even last year when he broke out he was hitting well it was with little hr power and a ton of strikeouts, which is not usually a good combination to see in the minors.

Avila's career major league OBP is higher than McCann's highest single season minor league OBP. The walks may be overrated, but I think it's pretty ridiculous saying anyone should have thought McCann is a better offensive player. (Or for that matter, would be thinking it now)

Of course, given Avila's physical decline it's a very good thing they have a McCann around.