Mr.TaterSalad

Round #2, Pick #54, Ameer Abdullah, RB - Nebraska

ygW5Y_k6PLg

Initially it looks like he's pretty fast and shifty... but... I wonder if he'll be fast enough in the NFL to be about to bounce outside like he did in college.

From source above:

Sources Tell Us

"He has the highest overall character grade I've ever given to a prospect, and includes both football character and off-the-field........"

Mayhew seems to be targeting high character players.

I didn't realize his combine numbers were so good. Combine that with his production on the field and his durability....I didn't particularly want a RB but I guess I'm not upset.

*IF* he becomes the primary return man and therefore pushes Ross out of that role, then I feel a little bit better about this pick. RB was a need, just not as high a need as other spots in my opinion.

ygW5Y_k6PLg

Initially it looks like he's pretty fast and shifty... but... I wonder if he'll be fast enough in the NFL to be about to bounce outside like he did in college.

at 5' 8" 205 will he hold up?

Barry Sanders was 5'8 200.

Sure but: Barry didn't block, Barry didn't get 3rd and 1 and Barry was so fast he could and did use his speed to avoid punishment. Barry broke tackles but didn't fight piles and he was fast enough t0 go out of bounds not still needing that extra yard. If his game is like Barry's, sure, but probably no one else's in the history of the NFL has been before or since. Barry was a 4.36 40, Abdullah is a 4.6

Anyway, it is on the small side for a mortal running back - coupled to losing fumbles - you have to at least be concerned.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I know it doesn't mean much, but I heard an interview a few weeks ago on cbs sports radio with him. Like Tomlinson he seems like a very high character and very smart guy. Add in with amazing talent and I think we got two REALLY good players. Still worried about our Dline but I am happy so far with our draft

Sure but: Barry didn't block, Barry didn't get 3rd and 1 and Barry was so fast he could and did use his speed to avoid punishment. Barry broke tackles but didn't fight piles and he was fast enough t0 go out of bounds not still needing that extra yard. If his game is like Barry's, sure, but probably no one else's in the history of the NFL has been before or since. Barry was a 4.36 40, Abdullah is a 4.6

Anyway, it is on the small side for a mortal running back - coupled to losing fumbles - you have to at least be concerned.

Bernard, Bush, Sproles were some of the comps. He won't be the 3rd and 1 guy.

That's what I was going to say too. Hopefully he'll be bouncing it outside, screens in the flat, etc.

Edit... And I think it was Mayock that said he has breakaway speed. If he gets inthe open his probably gone.

Tomlinson added that he is a great compliment to Bell.

We shall see.

Barry sanders is one of a kind. Cant really compare anyone to him.

That's what I was going to say too. Hopefully he'll be bouncing it outside, screens in the flat, etc.

Edit... And I think it was Mayock that said he has breakaway speed. If he gets inthe open his probably gone.

Tomlinson added that he is a great compliment to Bell.

We shall see.

From 0-10 he was the fastest in the draft. Good but not elite top end speed tho.

I agree, I think the idea is to get him in open spaces and have him get some clean misses. Not that he hasn't also shown good ability to run inside, per reports, but with his limited size you don't want him doing that on a regular basis.

From 0-10 he was the fastest in the draft. Good but not elite top end speed tho.

I agree, I think the idea is to get him in open spaces and have him get some clean misses. Not that he hasn't also shown good ability to run inside, per reports, but with his limited size you don't want him doing that on a regular basis.

Agree. And hopefully we'll have a much improved oline to open some holes for him and one of my favorite players, Joique Bell.

He reminds me a bit of Ray Rice ON the football field. Low center of gravity, very elusive, good at catching passes out of the backfield but lacks top end speed.

The big difference is that he fumbles A LOT, small hands, so he might just wind up as a situational runner like the role Riddick was supposed to have.

I don't like drafting players with butter fingers especially so high in the draft, it was the big reason why I disliked the Ebron pick.

Very good runner if he can just hold onto the ball though.

One other thing is that he's an absolute workhorse. I recall some games where he got 40+ carries.

Again, if he can learn how to secure the ball, he could be a very valuable weapon.

Edited by NYLion

I like the pick. I won't say he was my favorite RB in the draft but I wanted a RB at this pick throughout the process and he was in the cluster of guys I was ok with. Late concerns came up with Ajayi's knee and Coleman may have whatever Ryan Clark had where he couldn't play in high altitude.

I wanted a talented RB and I wanted that RB to be able to catch the ball, so I'm good.

I'm a little worried about the fumbles, but it does seem like he's a hard worker so he should accept coaching. I believe most position coaches think they can teach anyone not to fumble. Tiki Barber used to have the same problem.

*IF* he becomes the primary return man and therefore pushes Ross out of that role, then I feel a little bit better about this pick. RB was a need, just not as high a need as other spots in my opinion.

That was a huge need.

I'm warming up to this pick more and more. I still would have went Tevin Coleman with this pick or waited a round and grabbed either Duke Johnson or Jay Ajayi, but I am getting there. 23 career fumbles scares me a lot, but the fact that he improve his senior year provides a blip of hope. I suppose I need to do more than look at game tape and replay that scary number 23 through my head.

If they can find ways to use this guy in space, he can be a game changer.

I liked pretty much all of the draft picks. I think Mayhew attacked areas of need in a very intelligent way.

Saw a couple runs from a couple yards out in his highlights (at least one against MSU run, maybe two, and they have a large defensive front) and he converted using the power in his legs, I think even though he's smaller he possibly could see some 3rd and 1 type situations. He makes quick decisions it looks like, so at least he won't be dancing behind the line (looking at you Reggie Bush).

Saw a couple runs from a couple yards out in his highlights (at least one against MSU run, maybe two, and they have a large defensive front) and he converted using the power in his legs, I think even though he's smaller he possibly could see some 3rd and 1 type situations. He makes quick decisions it looks like, so at least he won't be dancing behind the line (looking at you Reggie Bush).

Dead on IMO. He has great burst and decisiveness as a runner. He'll hit the hole in a way that Bush and Riddick simply can't.