lesgoblu02

Who will be the head coach of the Red Wings next season?

Who will be the Red Wings head coach in 2015-16?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Red Wings head coach in 2015-16?

• Mike Babcock
    • Jeff Blashill
    • Todd McClellan
    • Dan Bylsma
    • Other (explain)

I imagine it would make that harder for sure. I'm so surprised by all of this because Shanny was NOT a fan of Babcock and that's why he left for New York. I did like Dave Lozo's tweet:

Dave Lozo ‏@DaveLozo 35s35 seconds ago

Maybe the MLSE plane is going to land, kick Dion Phaneuf onto the runway, then immediately take off back to Toronto.

Maybe we can trade the 3rd round pick for Phaneuf, lol

The Leafs have hired the big names before. Cup winner Brian Burke. Cup winner Randy Carlyle. Cup finalist Paul Maurice. Cup finalist and Olympic silver medalist Ron Wilson. Never ended well.

I suppose if a coach is going to win at different times with different teams, he's going to have to be an innovator capable of changing his team's style of play if times and/or personnel change and what worked for him in his 1st success doesn't work anymore. Scotty clearly was pretty famous in this regard. Babcock's best successes were from 2003 with the Ducks to 2009 with the Wings. Will he be as successful when the game is 15 or 20 years out from where it was when he 'learned' what it took to win? Always the question, whether here or somewhere else.

One tweet said $8 million? If so that's hard to turn down if you are Babcock....

It's Toronto for 8 years, 52 million..............so 6.5 million a year.

I think Babcock did get as much as could be expected out of less talented Wings teams in recent years. He will get the most of the Toronto roster. But that roster isnt enough to be a contender anytime soon. But I think now Toronto mgmt, fans and media will be tempted to avoid a rebuild and make short term moves.

One tweet said $8 million? If so that's hard to turn down if you are Babcock....

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Babcock's salary in first three years of his eight-year deal is believed to be as much as $8M per year.

But it looks like the total is $50 million

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Babcock's salary in first three years of his eight-year deal is believed to be as much as $8M per year.

But it looks like the total is $50 million

So that is a lot of money saved. Maybe now the seats in the new arena will have nicer upholstery....:

I don't really feel too bad about this...now. If they are horrible next season obviously we'll look back and think Holland blew it by not doing something else to keep him here. But right now I just have a lot of confidence that Holland is going to come up with another very good coach. I hope that confidence is not misplaced.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Well, Shanny is freaking out right now, he just got a very capable coach.

Blashill, youre up next!

https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/601075307488145408

Down Goes Brown

‏@DownGoesBrown

I hope Babcock enjoys his time on that plane, since it's the last time for a while he'll see two wings with Leaf logos doing their job.

Daaaaamn. Gonna need some burn ointment on that one.

Whiile I do think this makes the Phaneuf deal harder and i dont liek the idea of negotiating with a team that has detailed knowledge of your inner workings, it may open up some other interesting trade opportunities.

Expect to see more tweets and posts from Leafs fans like this one:

Originally Posted by PopeInTheWoods View Post

My thinking is that it makes TOR a more attractive trade and FA destination, which could make a complete teardown unnecessary.

I don't follow much but maybe it was time for a shakeup.

That's my hope for a silver lining here.

I agree. A shakeup can be a good thing.

My thinking is that it makes TOR a more attractive trade and FA destination, which could make a complete teardown unnecessary.

Of course, there has also been the narrative that guys don't like playing for Babcock...(?)

Edited by Gehringer_2

Of course, there has also been the narrative that guys don't like playing for Babcock...(?)

The guy who hired him sure didn't.

Did Babcock get the most out of a flawed team, or was he unable to get more out of a young and somewhat raw team?

If it's the former, it sucks to lose him. If it is the latter, they needed a change.

Who was responsible for holding back the "kids" the last few years? Nyquist and pulkinnen seem like guys that spent too much time in grand rapids.

There was of course the Howard and mrazek thing.

I'm sure others that know the specifics could offer more insight.

Cleary to TOR confirmed.

There are no real losers today:

- Leafs get a great coach that they can easily afford and who doesn't count against the cap

- Babcock gets $50mm and the admiration of his peers. Even if he can't perform miracles in Toronto, no one can take his Cup and 2 gold medals away from him.

- The Wings have an in-house replacement ready

Having said that, I don't think this is an ideal situation for any of the Leafs, Babcock or the Wings. A big win for Babcock, a marginal win for the Leafs, neutral day at best for the Wings.

Edited by lordstanley

Did Babcock get the most out of a flawed team, or was he unable to get more out of a young and somewhat raw team?

If it's the former, it sucks to lose him. If it is the latter, they needed a change.

Who was responsible for holding back the "kids" the last few years? Nyquist and pulkinnen seem like guys that spent too much time in grand rapids.

There was of course the Howard and mrazek thing.

I'm sure others that know the specifics could offer more insight.

My sense is that Babcock is more open to playing kids than Holland. That's why I always felt that people who think that Blashill as coach will mean more playing time for kids could well be mistaken. Holland will fill the roster with whomever he wants now, Blashill is not in position to push back the way Babcock could.

My sense is that Babcock is more open to playing kids than Holland. That's why I always felt that people who think that Blashill as coach will mean more playing time for kids could well be mistaken. Holland will fill the roster with whomever he wants now, Blashill is not in position to push back the way Babcock could.

Having watched Scotty, I'm a little more sympathetic to the reluctance to play young defensemen, but for sure it will be bad news if we end up with more players like Bertuzzi, Samuelsen etc who are on the downside on the forward lines in favor of faster younger more energetic players with potential to get better.

FWIW, my Friday night skate was briefly in negotiations with Mike, but it turns out as much Labatt Blue and/or Molsons as you want on the bench wasn't enough of an enticement.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

There are no real losers today:

- Leafs get a great coach that they can easily afford and who doesn't count against the cap

- Babcock gets $50mm and the admiration of his peers. Even if he can't perform miracles in Toronto, no one can take his Cup and 2 gold medals away from him.

- The Wings have an in-house replacement ready

Having said that, I don't think this is an ideal situation for any of the Leafs, Babcock or the Wings. A big win for Babcock, a marginal win for the Leafs, neutral day at best for the Wings.

Buffalo and their fans are pretty salty about the whole thing. Apparently the Sabres thought they had him and even went as far as to schedule a press conference. Which is hilarious.

I agree to a certain extent, but Babcock also loved some his vets and would play young guys in bizarre roles/situations. From what I hear Blashill has been very good at putting each player in a great place to succeed given their talents so I hope he can eliminate some of the bizarre minutes/roles that Babcock could give out at times. Just my thought.

Buffalo and their fans are pretty salty about the whole thing. Apparently the Sabres thought they had him and even went as far as to schedule a press conference. Whichi is hilarious

Another painful miss to add to Buffalo sports lore. Along with Norwood wide right and Hull's foot in the crease.