lesgoblu02

Who will be the head coach of the Red Wings next season?

Who will be the Red Wings head coach in 2015-16?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Red Wings head coach in 2015-16?

• Mike Babcock
    • Jeff Blashill
    • Todd McClellan
    • Dan Bylsma
    • Other (explain)

I'm not excited about losing one of the best if not the very best coach for a potentially good coach.

This is like Peter Griffin taking the mystery box instead of a boat because the box could have anything in it, even a boat.

I'm not excited about losing one of the best if not the very best coach for a potentially good coach.

This is like Peter Griffin taking the mystery box instead of a boat because the box could have anything in it, even a boat.

Was there a boat in the box?

Here's what scares me about Blashill: Tom Renney. Early in his career Renney won the Memorial Cup. Named coach of Canada's national team and took a bunch of also-rans to an Olympic silver medal in 1994. He was the flavour of the day, he could no wrong. He was considered innovative, modern and tuned in to youth. Until he got his first NHL head coaching job, with Vancouver. Was fired a season in a half in. He has gone on to coach NYR and Edmonton, but without any notable success. And look at college football coaches that haven't made it in the pros. Or even look at Brad Ausmus. We're rolling the dice here, and I'm fine with that, but Bylsma for example would be a safer choice.

Here's what scares me about Blashill: Tom Renney. Early in his career Renney won the Memorial Cup. Named coach of Canada's national team and took a bunch of also-rans to an Olympic silver medal in 1994. He was the flavour of the day, he could no wrong. He was considered innovative, modern and tuned in to youth. Until he got his first NHL head coaching job, with Vancouver. Was fired a season in a half in. He has gone on to coach NYR and Edmonton, but without any notable success. And look at college football coaches that haven't made it in the pros. Or even look at Brad Ausmus. We're rolling the dice here, and I'm fine with that, but Bylsma for example would be a safer choice.

Not a fair comparison. Ausmus never managed anywhere (okay, on amateur team) before. Blashill has been a coach for awhile now and he has coached most of the Wings young talent. They already know his language and tone.

Was there a boat in the box?

Nope, tickets to a comedy club. On the drive home he told Lois that he thought a lot of people would choose the mystery box. Everyone in the neighborhood had a boat.

Hopefully the Red Wings don't end up with an open beer bottle upside down in their front pocket.

ComedyClub.png

Good reference.

I don't have a very strong opinion either way on keeping Babcock. I just don't follow the wings as much as I used to.

But I will say that if it comes down to money, and Babcock is the best option, then the wings would be foolish not to pay the man. It's just money and it's the one place you can spend whatever you want.

If they don't pony up the cash, then my guess is that they don't view him as being better than their other options. I have no idea if that is correct.

Quotes like this from Malik crack me up and make me scratch my head.
George Malik @georgemalik

If he's all about the money, he's all about the ego, and that will tell Mike Babcock and the world all we need to know about Mike Babcock.

2:15 PM - 19 May 2015

Damn, I bet George needs an oxygen tank on a horse that high.

There is definitely a fear of the unknown, but I think Blashill will be setup in a good situation to succeed. The Wings have an established leadership core among the players. Much of the roster has been coached by Blashill in the AHL and had success playing under Blashill. The Griffins run a VERY similar system to the Wings (by design). I think it is about as good of an environment you could ask for with Blashill.

Aaron WardVerified account

‏@TSNAaronWard

Source say Mike Babcock has decided to leave the Detroit Red Wings. #TSN

I'm guessing Toronto...

Aaron WardVerified account

‏@TSNAaronWard

Source say Mike Babcock has decided to leave the Detroit Red Wings. #TSN

What does Ward think are the chances of the Wings signing Iginla?

There is definitely a fear of the unknown, but I think Blashill will be setup in a good situation to succeed. The Wings have an established leadership core among the players. Much of the roster has been coached by Blashill in the AHL and had success playing under Blashill. The Griffins run a VERY similar system to the Wings (by design). I think it is about as good of an environment you could ask for with Blashill.

I think Babcock is the better coach, but I'd rather have Blashill long-term than this short-term contract for Babcock that was rumored a few days ago.

My heart tells me the Red Wings need a mild shaking up and I'd like to see something new, but I'm reminded of the Chauncey for Iverson trade. That Pistons team needed a shake up, but that was not it. That was not it.

Would this put the kibosh on Brendan Smith and Weiss being involved in a deal for Phaneuf this summer?

At the end of March, all I wanted was for the Wings to make the playoffs, the Hawks not to win the Cup and the Leafs to not get Babcock.

But this seems like a strange move to me by the Leafs. Or typical Leafs in a way. Going for the big name big splash rather than the right coach for a rebuild. Leafs will be talking playoffs today, and by the end of the summer will be talking of a Cup.

Or typical Leafs in a way. Going for the big name big splash rather than the right coach for a rebuild.....

Interesting point, I had to just look it up to realize that the core members of Babcock's cup team, Zets, Dats, Kronwall, Lidstrom, were all already here when he arrived.

Interesting point, I had to just look it up to realize that the core members of Babcock's cup team, Zets, Dats, Kronwall, Lidstrom, were all already here when he arrived.

The Leafs have hired the big names before. Cup winner Brian Burke. Cup winner Randy Carlyle. Cup finalist Paul Maurice. Cup finalist and Olympic silver medalist Ron Wilson. Never ended well.

One tweet said $8 million? If so that's hard to turn down if you are Babcock....

Would this put the kibosh on Brendan Smith and Weiss being involved in a deal for Phaneuf this summer?

I imagine it would make that harder for sure. I'm so surprised by all of this because Shanny was NOT a fan of Babcock and that's why he left for New York. I did like Dave Lozo's tweet:

Dave Lozo ‏@DaveLozo 35s35 seconds ago

Maybe the MLSE plane is going to land, kick Dion Phaneuf onto the runway, then immediately take off back to Toronto.