lesgoblu02

Who will be the head coach of the Red Wings next season?

Who will be the Red Wings head coach in 2015-16?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Red Wings head coach in 2015-16?

• Mike Babcock
    • Jeff Blashill
    • Todd McClellan
    • Dan Bylsma
    • Other (explain)

My guess, in order of likelihood, would be 1. Blashill 2. Babcock 3. McLellan

I would still want to make a reasonable offer for Babcock. I don't think the Wings take TB to 7 games without him. But don't beg him to stay. He is either going to quit or be fired one of these years, so this isn't the worst time for this to happen if it has to.

Decision between Blashill and McLellan should be all about who you think will be the better coach. Not loyalty or Blashill getting restless, if he even is. If you think McLellan, the guy who beat Babcock and the Wings in back to back playoff series a few years ago, is the better option then get him. If Blashill wants to leave, fine, let him do so and maybe in 3-5 years when done with McLellan you can hire Blashill then.

Holland-haters should really want to Babcock to stay though. Babcock is a bit of a check and balance on Holland's power. If you don't like Holland's approach now, don't expect it to change with a rookie from the AHL like Blashill offering little resistance.

At the end of the day, it's only a head coach. More important than a baseball manager, IMO, but less important than an NFL head coach.

Edited by lordstanley

If Babcock leaves and they pass on Blashill then Blashill will be gone for sure. This will be his last year in GR I predict.

It looks less likely that Babcock will be staying in Detroit. I really hope Shanny backs up the brinks truck.

If Babcock leaves and they pass on Blashill then Blashill will be gone for sure. This will be his last year in GR I predict.

It looks less likely that Babcock will be staying in Detroit. I really hope Shanny backs up the brinks truck.

I'm almost hoping Shanny does too. As it would de-rail the Leafs' re-build. Babcock as coach would bring the same attitude and create the same expectations as Burke did as GM. Make moves with an eye on the next 2 years, not the next 5. That's why the cycle in Toronto repeats endlessly. Babcock could take St.Louis' job and try to get them over the top, then 3 years from now after having time to see which of Toronto, Edmonton or Buffalo is no longer a gong show he could join one of them to take them to the next level.

Edited by lordstanley

I think Blashill would be better than Todd because he seems to have a great relationship with the former Griffins and really got a lot out of them down there in the AHL.

I'm almost hoping Shanny does to. As it would de-rail the Leafs' re-build. Babcock as coach would bring the same attitude and create the same expectations as Burke did as GM. Make moves with an eye on the next 2 years, not the next 5. That's why the cycle in Toronto repeats endlessly. Babcock could take St.Louis' job and try to get them over the top, then 3 years from now after having time to see which of Toronto, Edmonton or Buffalo is no longer a gong show he could join one of them to take them to the next level.

I think you put too much stock in what it takes to turn a team around. Marginal teams can make the playoffs based solely on good coaching jobs. To be sure, my expectations for the Leafs is low, mostly because they haven't had a coach since Pat Quinn left that was actually in charge of the team. But it needs to start somewhere, and Babcock is the perfect place. Kessel is a nightmare for coaches. Players love him and side with, tune the coach out. Ottawa made the playoffs this year, Burke got Calgary to the playoffs this year. The leafs roster that was awful this year, was very similar to the roster that took the bruins to 7. The players never matured. The leafs can be a whole new team if they trade kessel.

I think Blashill would be better than Todd because he seems to have a great relationship with the former Griffins and really got a lot out of them down there in the AHL.

Agreed. Blashill is on local radio every week or so down here in GR. I like his style. I imagine we will know Babcocks decision soonish eh?

At the end of the day, it's only a head coach. More important than a baseball manager, IMO, but less important than an NFL head coach.

Much more important than a baseball manager I would say.

Agreed. Blashill is on local radio every week or so down here in GR. I like his style. I imagine we will know Babcocks decision soonish eh?

Going to talk to Holland within 10 days apparently.

Denny Kapp

‏@DennyKapp

Holland: "I think Jeff Blashill is an NHL coach in the making and will be behind a bench in (inaudible) time" but stresses Babs is "Plan A"

Taking it with a grain of salt obviously but public comments make it sound like both want him back. But that could just be window dressing. His contract runs intil June 30 so teams would need permission.

Taking it with a grain of salt obviously but public comments make it sound like both want him back. But that could just be window dressing. His contract runs intil June 30 so teams would need permission.

Agreed... I'm actually surprised by stuff like this:

Dana Wakiji ‏@FSDwakiji 4m4 minutes ago

#RedWings Babcock: I moved a lot to lots of new jobs. When I went someplace before, there was always a better job. There's no better job.

Then this:

Red Wings' Ken Holland: Money won't be an object in Mike Babcock talks

"I want Mike to stay," general manager Ken Holland said. "Money isn't going to be an object."
"I talked to my wife yesterday morning for the first time," he said. "Everyone thinks Ken Holland is the boss. Actually, my wife is the boss. That conversation didn't go very well, didn't last that long. So I imagine, over the next while, we'll have some conversations about this and decide what we're going to do."

So blame the girl.

I think if you want him gone, it would have been encouraging if he had already made up his mind.

The fact he hasn't decided (and I believe him on that BTW), or logically thought through all the options, suggests that the chance he stays is at least 50/50, higher than we thought the other night.

Still think it's a wildcard though.

Bob McKenzie said today that he has no inside knowledge, although he did speak to Babcock yesterday, but feels it is slightly more likely than not that Babcock leaves and it is McKenzie's guess that if he does leave his #1 choice would clearly be Edmonton. McKenzie pointed out to the Bob Nicholson and Peter Chiarelli connection in Edmonton and signs that the tire fire in Edmonton might be ending. Whereas "If Babcock looked at the Toronto Maple Leafs, he might think that 'this tire fire is just getting started,' McKenzie said."

If Mike Babcock leaves Detroit Red Wings, “no question” that Edmonton Oilers would be his top choice, says TSN’s Bob McKenzie | Edmonton Journal

Bob McKenzie said today that he has no inside knowledge, although he did speak to Babcock yesterday, but feels it is slightly more likely than not that Babcock leaves ..l

I'm not arguing what Babcock is going to do, but OTOH, I also think every Canadian broadcaster has a built in bias that any Canadian wants to be involved with Hockey in Canada instead of the States. I don't think vary many of them really understand that at least in the original 4 US cities, hockey culture doesn't take a back seat to Canadian cities.

And Babcock mentioned in the interview posted by FSD that he still has a house in Saskatoon, always has.... that sounded more like saying "Don't think I want to go there just to be close to home...". He can be there in the summer when it's nice.... during the hockey season it's probably irrelevant where they are because their time is spent at the rink or on the road.

yeah I do take him at his word that he hasn't decided yet. Probably going to talk over philosophy and what the future of the orgnization is.

To over simplify he's either staying or going. I don't think you can pick apart his words and read into them. Reporters just looking for angles and trying to make themselves appear to be "in teh know".... what's the risk? 50/50 you are right either way.

As far as wearing out his welcome after 10 year here, I think that is more tpskme fans talking than players really feeling that. Apart from Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Helm, Ericsson, and Kronwall, who on this roster has played for Babcock for more than 4 years?

I'm not arguing what Babcock is going to do, but OTOH, I also think every Canadian broadcaster has a built in bias that any Canadian wants to be involved with Hockey in Canada instead of the States. I don't think vary many of them really understand that at least in the original 4 US cities, hockey culture doesn't take a back seat to Canadian cities.

Canadian hockey media in action, lol

CD44Q-IVAAAEHEo.png

Bob McKenzie is great though, rational and cautious, will let you know what are sourced leads and what are simply his educated guesses and speculation.

I want Babcock to stay and feel that he will. If he is gone my next three choices up would be Blashill, Byslma and McLellan.