drownwithyou

4/29/15 Playoff Series 1 Game 7 Wings @ Lightning 7:30PM FS-D NBCSN

I guess I don't follow why the Wings would be reluctant to let their coach establish the market for coaches and then pay him when they were one of the teams that thrived before the salary cap and were perfectly happy to force other teams to try to keep up with their player spending. I can see many reasons they may or may not want to keep him, but think it would be strange for the decision to end up being driven by what it would cost to keep him if they want him.

Blashill at his price > Babcock at his price in their minds would be the reasoning, just something that plays into their overall decision on Babcock if he is open to coming back.

I doubt any of them becomes a first line scorer, but I'm not sure who else the hope would be. Even another Hudler type (Wings days) would be useful.

I think Nyquist and Tatar are both Hudler-types. Bona fide first liners but not elite stars. I'd be fine with trading either of them for the right return.

I'm not sure any of Pukkinen, Mantha or Larkin will be 1st liners. Odds are one will be, one will be a solid contributor but in a more modest 2nd/3rd line role, and the other will be a fringe NHLer. I'd be fine with trading any of them for the right return.

I think a Howard-Mrazek tandem next year would be the right move and then think about trading Howard next summer if Mrazek continues to improve. But I'd be prepared to trade Howard this summer if someone really needs a goalie and is willing to part with a good player in return, not just a salary dump.

Bottom line, the Wings have very few untouchables on the team or in the prospect pool, IMO. I'd rather the risks that come with being bold than the risks of tearing things down. The Wings were 2 points behind 7th overall this year, that being Cup-favorite Chicago. I want the Wings to break this rut of mediocrity (by their standards) but this is a team closer to the top than to the bottom and I trust trades and free agency and a focus on player development more than I do tanking. The Wings were killed in these playoffs by Tyler Johnson, who was undrafted.

And I'll say this, if you ask me which of these teams will have the best records in the 2017-2018 season out of Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona, Toronto, Carolina, Detroit and San Jose, I'm going with Detroit and San Jose. Well-run organizations are more important than draft position, IMO.

And I'll say this, if you ask me which of these teams will have the best records in the 2017-2018 season out of Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona, Toronto, Carolina, Detroit and San Jose, I'm going with Detroit and San Jose. Well-run organizations are more important than draft position, IMO.

Oh hai Edmonton...

I think Nyquist and Tatar are both Hudler-types. Bona fide first liners but not elite stars. I'd be fine with trading either of them for the right return.

Would you have accepted Jay Bouwmeester?

Would you have accepted Jay Bouwmeester?

I will just say that any defenseman who made Team Canada's stacked 2014 Olympic team

can play on my team anytime and I would have paid a steep price to acquire him.

I will just say that any defenseman who made Team Canada's stacked 2014 Olympic team

can play on my team anytime and I would have paid a steep price to acquire him.

Would you have paid the price Kenny wanted to give up? His top two goal scorers for a defensemen pushing 30.

Would you have paid the price Kenny wanted to give up? His top two goal scorers for a defensemen pushing 30.

It is amazing how so many people took a throwaway comment by Bob McKenzie, who admitted it was a rumor he heard and he wasn't certain of the 2 players, and ran with it. A defenseman pushing 30 is the perfect age to acquire a top defenseman. Tatar and Nyquist weren't his top 2 scorers at the time but in hindsight IF Holland offered that and the way Tatar and Nyquist turned out, it would have been a bad trade. But Nyquist and say Jurco? Even in hindsight, I would have made that trade.

It is amazing how so many people took a throwaway comment by Bob McKenzie, who admitted it was a rumor he heard and he wasn't certain of the 2 players, and ran with it. A defenseman pushing 30 is the perfect age to acquire a top defenseman. Tatar and Nyquist weren't his top 2 scorers at the time but in hindsight IF Holland offered that and the way Tatar and Nyquist turned out, it would have been a bad trade. But Nyquist and say Jurco? Even in hindsight, I would have made that trade.

I'm not sure there are many, rather it's the same few repeating it ad nauseam.

Tampa has jumped to a thoroughly deserved 2-0 series lead over Montreal, heading back to Tampa for Game 3. Not sure that makes me feel better or worse about the Wings losing Game 7 to them.

Tampa has jumped to a thoroughly deserved 2-0 series lead over Montreal, heading back to Tampa for Game 3. Not sure that makes me feel better or worse about the Wings losing Game 7 to them.

How about reaching the Final? Ugh.

How about reaching the Final? Ugh.

Ha, was just about to dig up this thread myself. The Bolts have made the SCF with 2 of the 3 times they faced elimination being against the Wings and the only 3 times they've trailed in a series being to the Wings - after Game 1, Game 3 and Game 5. The East was wide open. I think the Wings would have run out of gas and ultimately would have been run down by the Rangers, but there's no reason to think the Wings couldn't have beaten the Habs and given the Rangers a battle.