KingLouieLouie76

Where Were You?

Since it seems most this Message Board has resorted to nostalgia to cope w/the recent Tiger "woes", this thread is appropriate.....

Where were you when these Tiger related events transpired?

1) When the Tigers won the WS in '68?

2) When the Tigers clinched the AL East title in '72?

3) When the Tigers won the '84 WS?

4) When the Tigers clinched AL East title in '87?

Well, I'm 25, so I obviously wasnt around to witness the first 2 events listed....

3&4) I recall the Tigers won both games on a Sunday and I was

watching them w/my dad and oldest sister (who both got

me interested sports and baseball card collecting at an

early young age) in my old family room in West Bloomfield..

Anyways, I remember how gut-wrenching those final 2 wks

of '87 was and of course that final game was of no

exception. Who would have thought that Larry Herndon's

solo-shot in the 3rd inning would account for the winning

run... Frank Tanana pitched a master-piece and I'll never

forget leaping around and hugging my sister and father

after Evans fielded that groundball and tossed to Tanana

for the final out....

Lord, I wish someone had those final 7 games against the

Blue Jays in its entirety on tape.... Each game being decided by 1 run... I'll never forget listening to the first cpl games at Exhibition

Stadium when Hernandez came in and blew a save... But, the one moment that will forever stand-out was Gibson's home-run in that marathon game, I think it was on a Sunday and broadcasted nationally on NBC...... I just wish the Tigers faired better against the Twins in the ALCS... I despised watching

Juan Berenguer (sp?) doing that pistol salute following every one of his strike-outs..... Or, Evans being picked off (I think 3B) in Game 1.... But.. Pat Sheridans game winning homer in Game 3 was a classic....

Originally posted by MoCheese4U2NV

Since it seems most this Message Board has resorted to nostalgia to cope w/the recent Tiger "woes", this thread is appropriate.....

Where were you when these Tiger related events transpired?

2) When the Tigers clinched the AL title in '72?

4) When the Tigers clinched AL title in '87?

I was two and more concerned with getting that crap out of my diaper

2) When the Tigers clinched the AL title in '72?

I was 6 and was more concerned with getting my parents to quit hastling me about tying my own shoes

Fresh out of High School. My favorite Sports Illustrated cover featured Trammell and the line "How about them Tigers?". My memory may be bad on this because at the time I liked to smoke a green herb. Truth be told I was more of a Royals fan then because of George Howard Brett. I still rooted for the Tigers however.

4) When the Tigers clinched AL title in '87?

Living in San Diego and more concerned about how many days I had left in the Navy.

1) When the Tigers won the WS in '68? not born yet.

2) When the Tigers clinched the AL title in '72? Must have been 3, and had no concept of anything except my Snoopy doll.

3) When the Tigers won the '84 WS? Watching with my family, my sister and I whooped and hollered.

4) When the Tigers clinched AL title in '87? They didn't clinch the AL title in '87, only the AL East division. I was just starting college and really concerned with some of my harder classes, but I celebrated with a couple of guys I knew from high school.

1.Didn't become a fan until 69.:(

2.Vague memories in general,just remember the heartache of losing to the A's.

3.Really enjoyed this one and sweated out every game.Really glad the series didn't go anymore games than what they did.However,my boss at Target called me in to work the last couple innings of the final game.He was a big sports fan though and knew how important it was to me,so he let me stay until the final out.Missed the locker room celebration though.

4.In Kansas City with a friend and his Dad watching the Twins and Royals as their guests.Spent alot of that game watching the scoreboard and cursing them for not updating it faster.

In 1968 I was 5, so I didn't pay much attention. My oldest brother was into it.

In 1972 I kind of remember the A's series. They had a lot of big names. Joe Rudi, Sal Bando, Blue Moon Odom, Vida Blue, Catfish Hunter.

In '84 I was in a bar in Toledo (but not across from the depot) when the Tigers took home the ring. That was a party.

In '87 I was waiting for my daughter to be born. We had a false alarm that made me miss half of the Friday Toronto game, and she was born on Saturday Sept. 26, after the game was over.

Actually, Mel they only clinched the division in '72, also, not the pennant.

In '68, I don't remember, I was almost 4.

In '72, I don't remember, I wasn't into it yet.

In '84, I was bowling on a Sunday night league. Couldn't celebrate appropriately, though. I wasn't 21.

In '87, I was at Tiger Stadium, left field, lower deck. About 30 feet from where Herndon's home run went.

Looking at this team makes me miss Billy Martin. There's no butt kicker on this team.

When Lolich pitched the final game of the '68 series, I was home with my family watching it on tv. When it was over, we (including my mom and even my dad, who never really cared a whit about baseball) all went out of the house. The entire neighborhood (in Warren) had erupted into the street, and everybody all over the neighborhood was going nuts, whooping and hollering, blowing car horns, and generally acting like idiots. It was great.

In '72 we were living in Ohio, and nobody I knew was much of a baseball fan. I listened to a lot of games on the radio, though, and was happy to hear them clinch.

In '84 I was living in Florida, and watched the series with my wife, who had converted from being a Reds fan to the Tigers, partly because of Sparky Anderson and mostly because of me. We celebrated together in private.

In '87 I was still in Florida, so I didn't get to follow the season much. I don't remember even seeing them clinch.

In 1968 I was home with strep throat, which magically appeared the day of Game 1 and disappeared shortly after Game 7. It was legit, I actually was fairly sick, 102 degree temperature, but getting to watch the World Series made me feel a bit better. In 1972, I got tonsilitis the day of game one, again legit, and managed to milk it through the whole series, all 5 stinking games. That damn Campenaris. In 1984 watched it at home here in Toledo and ditto for 1987.

1968-

I was in the 3rd grade, we listened to the last game of the series over the loudspeaker!! The principal was a Tiger fan :) Mrs. Hicks gave us a quiz about player postions...Aced that one!!!

1972-

Them damn A's...Did they all have their moustaches that year??

1984-

The year my husband jumped on the bandwagon and became a Tigers fan, he hates it that I can spew out more Tiger trivia than he can to this day.

1987-

3 kids under the age of 5, I was a sleep deprived, Sesame Street watchin', library goin' Mom. Did the Tigers do good ????

Wasn't born until 1973.

In 1984: I was in section 210. I have the ticket stub in my safe. The grass in the section under my window at my parents house is where we planted the sod we took home. Out in the streets people were throwing cereal and spraying shaving cream everywhere. I just remember trying not to get lost. I was only 11 so it was a tad dangerous.

In 1987: I honestly don't remember. I think I was watching at home with my parents but I also had my first girlfriend at the time so baseball took a back seat temporarily. I do remember the playoffs because I was at 2 of the games.

1968- Was 5 years old and at my grandparents' house watching the game on their big color RCA console TV.

1972- In the 4th grade watching the games with my class. Thanks Mrs. Gilmore.

1984- working 12 hour shifts at a research institute as a security guard. Had to make rounds every 30 minutes, ran through them in order to watch the games in a secluded office. I wasn't allowed to watch TV on duty, go figure.

1987- Was about to be married (10-9-87) while the Tigers were making their bid for another series appearance. Both the Tigers and my marriage fell a little short.:(

68-age 6, unaware

72-actually an oriole fan, but i do remember watching the game

on tv after grade school let out where campaneris threw the bat at lerrin lagrow

84-in college and was at a conference during the series. didn't get a see all the games:(

87-caught a cold during the last week of the season the only times in 16 years of being a productive member of society that i have missed work due to illness. the cold was real. maybe my brain attacked my immune system allowing me to stay home:p

damn twinkies

'68 - Not even thought of

'72 - Not even thought of

'84 - Incoherent baby

'87 - Screaming toddler

'68 - I have an uncle that wasn't even born yet

'72 - I was just 3 years away from gracing my parents with my presence

'84 - Watching the game with my older cousin in St. Joe. I remember when Lance Parrish, who was always my favorite player, hit a home run I yelled and whooped so loud, my aunt thought I had hurt myself.

'87 - Watching in disbelief as a team that came back to spank the Blue Jays got beat by that crappy AL West Minnesota team.

I was third in line for the "gleam in my father's eye"

2) When the Tigers clinched the AL East title in '72?

Less than one year old...

Watching every minute...or at least most of the minutes. My mother was BIG time into the Tigers this year, and it was my first love affair with baseball.

4) When the Tigers clinched AL East title in '87?

My love to baseball had begun to fade at this point, and I wouldn't get back into it until last 90's. I guess you could call me a fair weather fan, except that for the last three years I've been a huge fan, and there certainly hasn't been much to cheer about.

'68

An accident waiting to happen

'72

Still waiting for an accident

'84

Watching the game on TV. Wondering why Toledo Oh was so boring.

'87

At a bar, eating pizza, and watching the game with my parents.