drownwithyou

4/27/15 Playoff Series 1 Game 6 Lightning at Wings 7:00PM FS-D CNBC

The more I look at the video of the hit, I think it deserves a 1 game suspension. It would be more than that in the regular season. It would be a 1 gamer earlier in the series. But I'd be shocked if the NHL did anything for a Game 7. There's enough grey there to leave the NHL an out - no penalty on the play, Kucherov lowered himself, Kucherov wasn't badly injured and continued to play and pick up a point, Kronwall may or may not have left both his feet before contact (I've slowed it down and paused and I believe he did leave both feel before contact(, did he really lead with the elbow into the head

after watching the video.. I don't know if it is legal or not, but elbow by the head, blind-sided... seems like it should be illegal.

**** 'em, Wings, destroy them tomorrow. This was suspension-worthy but the NHL picks today to finallly get tough?! They let a lot go, including Palat and Ovechkin last night, Subbam on Stone, etc. I think it was the loud bleating by some media likr Damien Cox, the Hockey News and Kerry Fraser that did the trick. I will you be watchjng you, NHL, going forward you better apply the same standard to all dirty hits in these playoffs.

Can't disagree with the Kronwall suspension... hate to see it but you have to be honest... if it were a TB player Wings fans would be calling for one too

Can't disagree with the Kronwall suspension... hate to see it but you have to be honest... if it were a TB player Wings fans would be calling for one too

It was worthy of a suspension, but there have been plenty of hits/plays this playoffs that were worthy as well and the NHL has ignored them, that's what gets me.

This one is fun:

DeliriousPortlyCassowary.gif

Nope. Can't agree with this after several other hits and after what Shea Weber did to Zetterberg a few years ago. This is a bunch of b.s. and it's not objective. But I think this helps the Wings because Kronwall has been terrible.

Yeah, the Shea Weber pounding of Z's head against the glass and Malkin instigating in the 2009 SCF, with both avoiding suspension, is what gets me. In a vacuum, I'd have no problem with Kronwall being suspended for that hit. But there's history and precedent here that to me this goes against.

I will say this about Tampa, neither coach Cooper nor player Kucherov whined about the hit post-game or lobbied for a suspension. They conducted themselves in Wings-like fashion in that respect. So this isn't Tampa's fault.

Yeah, the Shea Weber pounding of Z's head against the glass and Malkin instigating in the 2009 SCF, with both avoiding suspension, is what gets me. In a vacuum, I'd have no problem with Kronwall being suspended for that hit. But there's history and precedent here that to me this goes against.

And a former member of the Colorado Avalanche at the heart of it.

My dream scenario involves a time and place where all questionable hits are judged as a single event instead of against other unrelated events. In that scenario, this is absolutely a suspendable offense. In the current state of the DPS, there were three or four hits on MONDAY NIGHT that were just as bad or worse. I don't think the league should compare events, though. So I have zero issue with this suspension. The main contact point was the head and he left his feet (well, foot) to make impact.

I long for the day when two guys who punch each other in the head with bare fists get similar punishments. If you want to protect the players, then protect the ****ing players.

I can't get too worked up over precedent of the precedent was incorrect to begin with. The game and player safety evolves, so there will inherently be new precedent set as it evolves.

Just because they screwed up before and didn't suspend those guys doesn't mean this wasn't worthy of a suspension. I don't think it's good to continue to not suspend players just because they didn't do so before.

What will be more interesting is if there is an instance down the road that goes without a suspension that was related to a similar incident.

The bottom line is that it was a dangerous hit to the head and he deserves a suspension for it.

The NHL could have softened the blow by suspending Zidlicky for Game 7 as well :)

Update: Ansar Khan just tweeted that Zidlicky is out with a concussion. Pairings will be Marchenko-Ericsson, Quincey-DeKeyser, Kindl-Smith. My god I wish we had finished this out in Game 6.

Edited by lordstanley

I do agree with what Lesgo and Shelton wrote. I know some people recoil whenever one suggests learning something from soccer, but there's a sport that dishes out in-game penalties in a pretty even-handed way, IMO. Not unusual for a penalty kick to be awarded in the 89th minute or for a star player to be red carded in a World Cup match which puts his team down to 10 men for the balance of the game and results in an additional suspension of at least one game - just ask David Beckham or Wayne Rooney.

Wings will win tonight. It's the game 7's to get into the finals and to win the cup that we have a problem winning...