PuNk42AE

04/22/2015: New York Yankees (Warren) at Detroit Tigers (Price) - 7:08 PM

We are thinking of leaving early.... would you think less of me? Scoreboard says 34 degrees

The only problem is you don't have any one pitcher in the bullpen who can give you three or four innings. You going to have to use nearly everyone out there to get through 7 innings, and as bad as Price was . . . there is no one not named Soria in the pen who I have any confidence in.

I remember the Tigers and Yankees playing a game in April of 1963 or 64 when the temps were in the mid 30's . Frank Lary was the tiger pitcher, and after that game he developed arm problems and was never the same.

We are thinking of leaving early.... would you think less of me? Scoreboard says 34 degrees

One more crap AB by the Tigers and you are free to go.

The only problem is you don't have any one pitcher in the bullpen who can give you three or four innings. You going to have to use nearly everyone out there to get through 7 innings, and as bad as Price was . . . there is no one not named Soria in the pen who I have any confidence in.

The weather is the huge issue. Too damn cold to leave him out there. I figure they are going to call someone up anyway for tomorrow.

Its to bad Price had a rough start tonight, but in all reality if the tigers don't start squaring up and hitting like they can, they will continue to lose. the skankees dont have any problem hitting the ball in this cold a** weather.

Its to bad Price had a rough start tonight, but in all reality if the tigers don't start squaring up and hitting like they can, they will continue to lose. the skankees dont have any problem hitting the ball in this cold a** weather.

yeah - there is a temptation to excuse the team being lethargic in the cold since there won't be much more of it soon, the problem is if they can't play in it in April, they won't be able to play in it in October. So if you have aspirations to play in or win a WS, you better learn to play in the cold - it ain't 1960 anymore.

That Jeter graphic was wrong - 20 years on one team is not a record.

Brooks Robinson has 23 years with the O's and Kaline 22 with the Tigers, Musial 22 with the Cards.

For the first time this season, Fister faced an offense that was not the Phillies and looked bad. His K% and BB% so far this year have been awful. I'd like to see him pitch one more game or so, but I'm not entirely confident he ends the season in Washington's rotation. He had an extremely lucky year last year despite declining stuff. At his current rates, he projects as more of a swing-man from here onward.

I'm pretty sure that by the end of the year, the Fister trade will have made a lot more sense.

That Jeter graphic was wrong - 20 years on one team is not a record.

Brooks Robinson has 23 years with the O's and Kaline 22 with the Tigers, Musial 22 with the Cards.

Maybe they meant to put 20 girlfriends in one year. It is Jeter afterall.

Well this game has done a fantastic job of reminding me that every one of our bullpen arms except Soria is mediocre to terrible. Any chance of fixing that soon?

Well this game has done a fantastic job of reminding me that every one of our bullpen arms except Soria is mediocre to terrible. Any chance of fixing that soon?

With who? Verlander?

Price may be an Ace, but I guess he's prone to meltdowns. Didn't JV in his salad days go some huge number of consecutive starts without leaving a game before the 6th?

Price may be an Ace, but I guess he's prone to meltdowns. Didn't JV in his salad days go some huge number of consecutive starts without leaving a game before the 6th?

Yeah, and it was only broken by a rain shortened game.

That was part of what made JV head and shoulders above other aces. Even when he was terrible (five run first against Baltimore) he could bare down and still eat innings. That and being his own closer, upping the velocity St the end and giving hitters a different look. Price definitely seems to lack that ability to get the final outs of a game.

Edited by DubTownTigersFan

Last night was evidence that Detroit nor KC will waltz to October.

Yeah, and it was only broken by a rain shortened game.

That was part of what made JV head and shoulders above other aces. Even when he was terrible (five run first against Baltimore) he could bare down and still eat innings. That and being his own closer, upping the velocity St the end and giving hitters a different look. Price definitely seems to lack that ability to get the final outs of a game.

Well, here's their average innings per start over their careers...

Price: 6.696

JV: 6.638

On the other hand, Price throws a CG ever 16.8 starts, JV throws one every 14.9 starts. But keep in mind Price has played on teams with much better bullpens in his career. I don't know if that influences the manager all that much with regards to letter a starter finish a game, but it might.

Anyhow, I don't think there's enough difference between the two to say that JV can finish games and David can't.

Well, here's their average innings per start over their careers...

Price: 6.696

JV: 6.638

On the other hand, Price throws a CG ever 16.8 starts, JV throws one every 14.9 starts. But keep in mind Price has played on teams with much better bullpens in his career. I don't know if that influences the manager all that much with regards to letter a starter finish a game, but it might.

Anyhow, I don't think there's enough difference between the two to say that JV can finish games and David can't.

though the better comparison might be JV's AIPS three years ago. Would have to guess it was higher then than now.

EDIT: not much difference actually - I get 6.696 at the end of 2012. I suppose it's also true he wasn't as bad - particularly in 2013, as we tend to make him out to have been.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I think fans in general perceive differences between similarly effective players to be much larger than they objectively are.

Being objective is boring as **** all.