Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

2015 NBA Playoffs

A few of those guys I see as in the conversation(as I said, its a competition between a few guys) and yes I was thinking of a few of them as SFs. A guy like Mitch Richmond can't hold his jock IMO. He wasn't near the playmaker or defender Manu is/was nor was he as efficient as Manu scoring. He was a good scorer, but that's all he did well. Allen is kind of in a similar category, though his shooting was equally efficient. Manu wasn't quite the outside shooter those guys were, but he got to the line and finished at the rim so much better. Thompson is another one dimensional scorer to me.

Love Maravich, but a lot of people have issues with his longevity. Manu has played 200 more regular season games and almost 5000 more playoff minutes. I have no desire to discredit Maravich though. What little I've seen and the legends I've heard are electrifying to say the least.

Reggie,Moncrief and Drexler I think are the real competition. Drexler and Manu are very similar with Manu being more efficient, but Clyde doing more heavy lifting. I honestly could put these 4 in any order on any given day and depending what I really wanted.

So I should have said arguably top 5 as a SG instead of probably. Personally, efficiency and all around players are things I highly value, as well as playoff success. I try to look at the whole package though and not discount anyone based on any one issue. Everyone effects the game in different ways.

Edit - but I do admit that other guys you mentioned I've less often seen classified as SGs, so where you put them does change the argument. Gervin and Monroe particularly.

I give you a ton of credit for thinking outside the box in terms of Manu vs the top SGs of all-time. The guy has been vastly underrated and IMO is the Havlicek of his day in many different ways. They had similar skill sets, were maybe the best 6th men in the history of the NBA and they took home trophies.

There are so many different kinds of SG types that how you rate them very possibly will coincide with that person's vision of what the best version of a SG should be:

--Jordan/Kobe ball dominator and uber player

--Sprewell/Drexler/Thompson swingman slasher

--West/Maravich/Monroe scoring combo guard

--Miller/Allen/Ellis unlimited range tall pure shooter

--Moncreif/Dumars/DJ lockdown defense-first combo guard

--Manu/Hondo/Wade maybe have their own sub-category branching off in a lesser version of Jordan/Kobe.

A guy like Richmond was really a SF playing SG IMO, but he was a good one no doubt. More or less the same with Gervin.

A direct Drexler vs Manu comparison is a tough one for Manu, like he's stepping up two weight classes to fight. Drexler, until the very end, was a world-class athlete who played both ends of the court (8th all-time steals) and played a ton of minutes every season (52nd all-time). Drexler was always the best player on his team until he was traded to Houston in his twilight. He did not have Manu's touch or ball handling but he did have his vision (29th all-time in assists). He had Gervin's length and Thompson's explosiveness--the most physically impressive SG after Jordan or Kobe I've seen.

I think people will have a hard time ranking any of these Spurs players. All of them, including Timmy, have sacrificed individual stats for team success.

DJ kind of screwed up. CP got a tech and Griffin had a bad fourth from what I could tell. Clips have a tough task ahead of them. With the Warriors being young and looking like they can sustain this winning, wonder if the clips will stay together going forward.

I think people will have a hard time ranking any of these Spurs players. All of them, including Timmy, have sacrificed individual stats for team success.

Agree. Probably the most unselfish team in any sport in recent memory.

I admit I didn't know Manu had such an accomplished European career.

Toss in a gold and bronze Olympic medals plus a silver World Cup medal.

Wouldn't mind having Monta Ellis on our roster.

No thanks. Not really the type of player the Pistons need.

This IMO, is much more likely than a guy like Manu crumbling if given an even bigger role. I do understand if people hold his durability against him a bit.

This IMO, is much more likely than a guy like Manu crumbling if given an even bigger role. I do understand if people hold his durability against him a bit.

I think I might need to clarify my statement.

I wasn't saying you ranked him too high. I know it kind of sounded like I said you cant rank them. What I meant is people will always rank them low because of how they sacrificed individual stats for team success.

I wasn't saying you ranked him too high. I know it kind of sounded like I said you cant rank them. What I meant is people will always rank them low because of how they sacrificed individual stats for team success.

Oh we're on the same page

No thanks. Not really the type of player the Pistons need.

I was looking at his contract. I realize he would be paid more if he opts out but we could use an inexpensive player like him. But I guess I'm not thinking it through.

https://twitter.com/JonathanTjarks/status/591288035146334208

PG's who have not fit next to Monta Ellis - 1. Steph Curry 2. Brandon Jennings 3. Jose Calderon 4. Rajon Rondo

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/591288252839133184

@JonathanTjarks Lack of wing defense is a huge structural problem. PG almost has to be a plus defender able to guard wings. Must also shoot!

Bad fit with Jackson.

I'll always wonder if people look at Dumars' career stats and dismiss him as a product of being on a deep and talented team much the same as people may look at Manu. Zeke and Dumars both sacrificed stats to put banners in the Palace.

Aldridge shot 27% last night. Lillard has been just as bad.

Memphis made one 3PT shot last night. One.

Was just looking at those stats. Also wondering if we ****ed up not taking Mccollum. I'm still a KCP believer, but that boy is nice.

Crawford might have taken 4 or 5 steps there and no call.

Crazy call on basket interference.

Not sure why I don't like the Clips anymore but rooting against them.

It frustrates me when teams are down 3 and only look to take a 3.

With about 50 seconds left the Spurs had the ball and you could tell they were only interested in a 3. Take the easy 2 and play defense.