Deleterious

2015 Pistons Off-Season

I'm in the crowd with Jennings coming back and being successful. He might only be 90% of what he was... but I think that'll still be good enough to be productive in the NBA.

But I'm still ready to move on.

He'll end up costing too much to extend his time here. He'll be an expiring, which may allow us to use his contract, and a couple others, at the trade deadline for something more useful to us long-term. Or we let his contract expire and use the cap space next off-season to improve.

There's no immediate need, or ability, to make a move with him... but I'm ready to move on when the time comes (no later than next off-season).

Jennings is likely to cheap. He only got 8 mil per after his rookie real and now he is coming off a torn achilles. Plus the salary cap will be going up. If Jennings does come back close to what he was, his contract still won't be all that worrisome.

Jennings is likely to cheap. He only got 8 mil per after his rookie real and now he is coming off a torn achilles. Plus the salary cap will be going up. If Jennings does come back close to what he was, his contract still won't be all that worrisome.

If Jennings beats the long, long odds against him and comes back close to what he was he will almost surely want to start somewhere and he won't be that cheap.

Jennings is likely to be cheap. He only got 8 mil per after his rookie real and now he is coming off a torn achilles. Plus the salary cap will be going up. If Jennings does come back close to what he was, his contract still won't be all that worrisome.

I think this /\ is less correct,

Than this \/:

If Jennings beats the long, long odds against him and comes back close to what he was he will almost surely want to start somewhere and he won't be that cheap.

I think this /\ is less correct,

Than this \/:

I think that's crazy. No matter what happens after this season Jennings won't get more than 10 mil. That's not expensive. And it's unlikey anyone hands him a big contract to be a starting pg. he will be a sixth man coming off a torn Achilles. His next contract, regardless, won't be that spectacular that it would turn the pistons away.

Jennings will not get a big contract. I believe he has a shot st coming back and being very productive, but I doubt it happens as quickly as this year. If he becomes a decent option off the bench it'll be grest but it won't warrant him a big multi year deal. He'll then have decide whether to bet on himself next year and play for the MLe or the equivalent, or take security at a low number and a few years

Edited by DaBishop

I think that's crazy. No matter what happens after this season Jennings won't get more than 10 mil. That's not expensive. And it's unlikey anyone hands him a big contract to be a starting pg. he will be a sixth man coming off a torn Achilles. His next contract, regardless, won't be that spectacular that it would turn the pistons away.

T&P, I completely agree that there is almost zero chance BJ will get $10M+. This is due to the almost zero chance that he will come back anything close to what he was while he was on his mini-rampage after Smith was released.

But, if he were to become the first point guard to come back "close" to what he was before he went down with his complete Achilles tear--borderline AS level play--then someone would certainly give him a chance to start and probably give him some of that enhanced cap money to do it.

And knowing BJ, if he were to make it all the way back, he would be beating his chest and rattling his sabre along the way because he's not starting. There is no part of me that thinks this guy would ever "want" to come off the bench, and his statement to the paper speaks volumes to me about what stage of recovery he's in.

..... his statement to the paper speaks volumes to me about what stage of recovery he's in.

that may be a good observation.

BJ has been nothing but a good soldier since joining the team. Not sure where this kind of talk comes from

BJ has been nothing but a good soldier since joining the team. Not sure where this kind of talk comes from

To me, the issue has nothing to do with being a good soldier or not.

The issue is the cost/ his usefulness beyond this season.

If some team is going to give him approximately $8M/ season for 3 years (I'm just guessing at the #'s) to be a primary backup or contend to be a starter, but he's 80-90% of what he was, and is limited badly (due to lost speed or cutting ability) in driving and defense... then why should we be the ones to waste money on that? Even if it's $5-6M/ yr. It's a waste. I don't think we should be that team. Not with RJ, Dinwiddie, and Steve Blake already on the team. Need to draft a PG of the future, or a developmental guy in the 2nd round? Fine. But we should spend absolutely $ZERO on a weakened backup PG who had defensive flaws even prior to this surgery.

If he comes back at 90% +/-, and is a viable candidate to be a starting PG somewhere, it won't be with Detroit, we already have a starting PG. And Jennings would still be weak on defense. If he flashes high-end talent coming back this year, with little-to-no downgrade in offensive abilities, then he out-prices himself out of Detroit. Same end result as above: he will no longer be in Detroit after this year.

I just don't see a future for BJ with the Pistons. Nothing against him, but I'm ready to move on. Especially if we can move his contract for something that is more useful to us in the long-term.

Ahh... yeah...

I don't think I read that closely enough.

So on the good soldier part... I agree 100% with that.

Still ready to move on though... :wink:

I think he was referring to Mickey's opinion that id BJ recovered well from his injury that he woulsd make waves if he doesn't get to start.

correct. There's still a lot of dislike of BJ on this board for some reason from some people. I think Brandon will do his time, work hard to come back from the injury, and in a perfect world recover fully and get a big contract from whoever is willing to pay him(and it wont' be us after having signed RJ).

However, the next best option is that he comes back to 80% of what he was, relies more on his 3pt shot and can manage to shoot like he did after Smith left for a full season. That would make him a perfect 6th man and he finds that he's content in the role and can sign a team friendly contract with Detroit next season.

That said, I'm in agreement with most in here that says no matter what his recovery is, his future lies elsewhere. He comes back anywhere from 75-100% and he's going to warrant a better deal then we can afford after already paying our current PG franchise player money particularly if he's shooting the 3 well. He comes back any less than that and we're better off going with a more reliable, 3 and D type, back up and we don't try to resign him.

Edited by DaBishop

This gives a little more insight into what a lot of us figured the moment BJ snapped his Achilles. It is a very difficult injury to come back from at anything close to full-strength, especially inside of a year. Mid-to-late December could easily turn into post-AS break with even a minor setback. It will be interesting to see if we can get even a little something for him in a deadline or pre-deadline deal.

The Dinwiddie/Blake battle for the backup spot is going to be interesting. Look for SJ to be kept on the floor whenever RJ is on the bench as a secondary playmaker. It would be great if reports of KCP's ball handling improvement are real.

[url=http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2015/09/14/detroit

I'm fine with that, more time for Dinwiddie which is needed. They got Blake for vet insurance anyway.

I believe that if Jennings was healthy this offseason that SVG would have unloaded him. Nothing against Jennings as he has been a good soldier but I don't see the fit here anymore.

So why not completely get rid of the divisions this season when they decide that winning your division provides no added bonus? Might as well just go to two conferences and reconfigure the schedule.

So why not completely get rid of the divisions this season when they decide that winning your division provides no added bonus? Might as well just go to two conferences and reconfigure the schedule.

Agreed. They're meaningless and it hurts the Pistons. Shorten the regular season by 10 games.

Play every team in your conference 3 times.

Play every team in the other conference twice.

72 game season. It'll never happen due to lost revenue... But it makes sense.

Agreed. They're meaningless and it hurts the Pistons. Shorten the regular season by 10 games.

Play every team in your conference 3 times.

Play every team in the other conference twice.

72 game season. It'll never happen due to lost revenue... But it makes sense.

In that case, they could cut 4 preseason games and go for 86 regular season games.

Play every team in your conference 4 times (2 home, 2 away).

Play every team in the other conference twice (1 home, 1 away).

This gives a little more insight into what a lot of us figured the moment BJ snapped his Achilles. It is a very difficult injury to come back from at anything close to full-strength, especially inside of a year. Mid-to-late December could easily turn into post-AS break with even a minor setback. It will be interesting to see if we can get even a little something for him in a deadline or pre-deadline deal.

I agree. I've said before that I expect Jenning's time in Detroit is over. Even if he's back in December, he won't be anywhere near full speed or game condition for months after that. And then there's the question of mental hurdles and just getting back into a rhythm after missing a year of basketball. You don't just jump back in and start playing at NBA levels after being essentially immobile for a year just because the doctors have cleared you for full speed contact.

In that case, they could cut 4 preseason games and go for 86 regular season games.

Play every team in your conference 4 times (2 home, 2 away).

Play every team in the other conference twice (1 home, 1 away).

Sounds good to me. Divisions need to go. They literally have no purpose now. It's unfair for us to have to play Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee and Indiana a combined 16 times while a team like Toronto gets Boston, Brooklyn, Orlando and Philly

I dispute the notion that Tiny Archibald was merely "serviceable" after coming back from an achilles tear. His first year as a 30 year old with the Celtics wasn't that great...but over the next three years he was an all star and averaged right around 13pts and 8.0 assists. His stats were more gaudy with the Kings..but those teams were terrible and he had to carry the load. In Boston he was the third or fourth scoring option. He's a HOF player...in my opinion...for his work as the trigger man on those early 80's Celtic teams that won a title as much as he is for his years piling up numbers in KC

Question for anybody (maybe particularly Del since he tends to be the resident expert on the salary cap):

Is this Hoops Hype chart an accurate picture of our cap situation?

Detroit Pistons Salaries | HoopsHype

I was under the impression we were spreading Smith's cap hit over more years. I think it is better this way if this is accurate. Also, what kind of flexibility would you expect the Pistons to have at the deadline?

Question for anybody (maybe particularly Del since he tends to be the resident expert on the salary cap):

Is this Hoops Hype chart an accurate picture of our cap situation?

Detroit Pistons Salaries | HoopsHype

I was under the impression we were spreading Smith's cap hit over more years. I think it is better this way if this is accurate. Also, what kind of flexibility would you expect the Pistons to have at the deadline?

They did stretch him. Sydney_Fife turned me onto this one last year and its excellent.

Detroit Pistons Team Salary | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News