Deleterious

2015 Pistons Off-Season

Not if he is your starter.

Considering he is keeping the seat warm for Johnson, I think we can look at it as a positive.

Almost everyone is still picking Indiana to make the playoffs. Almost nobody is picking Detroit.

Which seems bold to me, considering West and Hibbert are gone and the best frontcourt players they have after George are a rookie and Lavoy Allen. The Rudez trade makes little sense too. What does Budinger bring to the table that they don't already have on the wing? How does he get minutes with George, Miles, Hill and Stuckey at the 2/3? Rudez at least seemed slotted for some minutes up front. Indiana's chances don't seem much better than Detroit's or Brooklyn's or Charlotte's in my eyes.

I absolutely love Paul George, but yah I don't get that. Regardless of the Pistons, I like almost every roster in the East better than theirs. I do love Turner going forward, but I don't see his impact being that large this year.

The way Dinwiddie looks in SL Stan may have to go out and get someone like Lou to come off the bench.

Elfrid Payton looked like pure trash in SL, but I doubt Orlando is out looking to replace him. Summer League is really tough on PGs. Trying to play with leadership and poise on a team of guys who you've maybe played with two or three of. It's disorganized and sloppy, and I really wouldn't write Dinwiddie off because of it.

I absolutely love Paul George, but yah I don't get that. Regardless of the Pistons, I like almost every roster in the East better than theirs. I do love Turner going forward, but I don't see his impact being that large this year.

Turner did look pretty good in Orlando, but it's going to take a year or two for him to be a quality starter. Indy may have improved their offense, but their defense could/should take a major step back this year. Starters at PG and SF are essentially the same, assuming it's George Hill and Solomon Hill. Then you go from Stuckey/Miles to Ellis at SG, David West to George at PF and from Hibbert to a rookie or Jordan Hill at C. You'd have to really believe in Vogel to think that can be a top ten defense again.

Elfrid Payton looked like pure trash in SL, but I doubt Orlando is out looking to replace him. Summer League is really tough on PGs. Trying to play with leadership and poise on a team of guys who you've maybe played with two or three of. It's disorganized and sloppy, and I really wouldn't write Dinwiddie off because of it.

With Payton you know he is going to distribute the ball and go hard to the hoop. We saw it last year, pretty sure he will do the same thing this year.

Dinwiddie looked very reluctant to shoot, aside from not being able to defend his position. When the problems appear to be psychological, it isn't a SL problem--it is a Dinwiddie problem. I'm not writing Dinwiddie off and I've been supportive of him so far, just saying that we need a quality guard to push him on the roster who's lower body is in tact.

Turner may be in a position where he'll have to play 30+ MIN, so you have to figure he'll get boards and blocks regardless of how his offense looks. Let's face it, Center isn't exactly the toughest position to defend in the EC. Not many guys who'll plant on that bock and go to work on you.

Alright Del I got a question for you on the "draft and stash". I know you mentioned it earlier after the draft about Hilliard

So with our roster sitting at 17 we will need to cut down. So the Pistons could be able to have Hilliard sign with a team overseas and it wouldn't count against their roster or their cap? I believe Singler did this. So basically they own his rights and no NBA team can sign him? Where as if he played for the Drive without being on the 15 man he could be signed by another team

Alright Del I got a question for you on the "draft and stash". I know you mentioned it earlier after the draft about Hilliard

So with our roster sitting at 17 we will need to cut down. So the Pistons could be able to have Hilliard sign with a team overseas and it wouldn't count against their roster or their cap? I believe Singler did this. So basically they own his rights and no NBA team can sign him? Where as if he played for the Drive without being on the 15 man he could be signed by another team

I know what you're thinking. 'Cause I think I'm thinking the same thing...

We have too many young Wing players with upside, and I don't want to lose any of them.

5 bigs and 3 PG's (currently). That leaves Morris, KCP, Miller, Meeks, Granger, Bullock, Martin, Thomas, Hilliard, Johnson.

10 Swing players that need to be cut down to 7. And maybe 6 if we need a 4th PG. Martin is as good as gone in my book. Granger too, even if SVG waits until training camp generates enough interest to get us a future draft pick (2nd rounder or two?) before the season starts in a trade. But of the remaining 8, I don't wanna lose any of 'em.

Talking Hilliard into a year overseas seems like 1 good option.

Here's another (food for thought): Is Meeks' defense so bad that he loses his backup SG spot to Bullock? Would SVG just elect to cut ties with Meeks in a LT move? Move him for a draft pick, or in a trade? We lose veteran 3pt shooting, and noone else at SG is as good as Meeks from deep, at least at this point...

That means Hilliard is 3rd SG and Thomas is 3rd (or 4th) SF, depending on how we use Miller (3rd PF, 3rd SF, or both...).

I wouldn't think Hilliard would want to do that though. They could easily keep him as the 3rd SG and use Bullock as the 3rd SF. I think Hilliard gets stashed as our 15th guy in Grand Rapids.

Bullock could be sent there too depending on Granger. I think Martin, miller and Granger are in danger.

I wouldn't think Hilliard would want to do that though. They could easily keep him as the 3rd SG and use Bullock as the 3rd SF. I think Hilliard gets stashed as our 15th guy in Grand Rapids.

Bullock could be sent there too depending on Granger. I think Martin, miller and Granger are in danger.

I think that due to Miller's ability to play both the 3 and the 4 that he is not actually in any danger.

I think the similarities between Martin, Bullock, Thomas, Meeks, Hilliard and KCP actually put Martin and Thomas MOST in danger.

Granger I consider almost an automatic release/ trade.

I think that due to Miller's ability to play both the 3 and the 4 that he is not actually in any danger.

I think the similarities between Martin, Bullock, Thomas, Meeks, Hilliard and KCP actually put Martin and Thomas MOST in danger.

Granger I consider almost an automatic release/ trade.

It seems like acquiring Morris made Miller versatility a little less valuable. Miller may have to really show out in camp to make the team, but then again, perhaps the same is true for Bullock. Does SVG need a 2/3 more or a 3/4 more in a 10th man type of role? It is worth noting that Bullock can rebound a little bit at a solid 6'7", but there have been whispers that he just doesn't "get it" in the NBA game.

Meeks could go either way. He could be used to acquire a legit backup pg as easily as he could be a rotation mainstay this year. One thing that SVG has to be intrigued by is the prospect of Meeks bouncing back AND Bullock "getting it". Having two solid gunners to bring off the bench--and a third if you count Tolliver--would be a major luxury. Obviously, this is sunny-side best case ever scenario.

Agree that Martin, Thomas and Granger are very likely to be somewhere else by the start of the season.

lol...but is Wall right?

Plenty of critics said Wall hadn't earned his $80M contract when he got it in 2015, and to that point he certainly hadn't.

Wall's 10 online credits at Kentucky obviously weren't put to use on business classes.

Last year at age 24 for both Wall and Reggie (on the Pistons) per game:

Wall: 17.6 points, 10 assists, 3.8 TO, 4.6 rebounds, .478 2pt%, .300 3pt%

Reggie: 17.6 points, 9.2 assists, 3.5 TO, 4.7 rebounds, .460 2pt%, .337 3pt%

So....

Larry Bird on Stanley Johnson

.....What I am saying is that some teams will regret passing on him. But don't take my word for it. Take Larry Bird's.

"I think Stanley Johnson is a spectacular player," Bird said last week on NBA TV. "You know Stanley is a guy that takes it to the hole. He doesn't jump into people to get fouled. He's a man."

That last sentence ought to give Pistons' fans hope. Few players were tougher than Bird. Obviously, he admires the trait. And if you think that quality doesn't matter in today's space-and-shoot NBA, you weren't watching the Finals.....

lol...but is Wall right?

No, he's an idiiot.

Waa Waa I'm only getting paid $80mil? STFU John. Little does he realize that the NBA salary structure is different now than it was when he signed his deal especially with the new TV deal money kicking in plus he wasn't all that proven either when he signed his deal, he wasn't an All Star yet so WTF is he even going on about? Not to mention that their numbers were pretty similar once Reggie took over the starters role.

The funniest part is that Wall goes on to say that he's happy for him and the others who get their money yet he comes off bitter that they got their money.

I do think that these contracts to unproven or mediocre players are getting out of control but such is life in the NBA. Wall benefiitted from that same system.

Last year at age 24 for both Wall and Reggie (on the Pistons) per game:

Wall: 17.6 points, 10 assists, 3.8 TO, 4.6 rebounds, .478 2pt%, .300 3pt%

Reggie: 17.6 points, 9.2 assists, 3.5 TO, 4.7 rebounds, .460 2pt%, .337 3pt%

So....

This makes me smile. Mainly because I think Wall should just shut up.

Considering he is keeping the seat warm for Johnson, I think we can look at it as a positive.

This is how I am looking at it. Maybe Johnson can even be the starter by mid-season.

I would take John Wall over RJ 10 out of 10 times. I don't care if peeps think he's an idiot. There are plenty of those in sports and on the road driving, etc.