Deleterious

2015 Pistons Off-Season

I really hope people are watching some of these playoff games featuring players that the Pistons could pursue this offseason.......

I have been watching that tall dude from New Orleans. He seems to be decent. I wonder if SVG could get him.

Too many Butlers. I hope Caron and the Pistons either agree to some sort of pay cut or just bring him back as an assistant coach (also a pay cut, but not against the cap).

The more I think about it, the more I think they'll pick up Butler's option.

Free agency doesn't offer many options so you might be right.

Bringing back Butler wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. He was functional and is supposedly a good locker room guy. Ideally we'd bring him back for less after seeing how FA plays out though.

Bad news for anyone wanting Millsap or Carroll.

The Hawks will have about $25M in cap space this summer. So they will have no problem keeping either one if you they want.

In general, that's what's killing me about this off-season. We have a bunch of cash but all of the players I want are either restricted or their team has enough cash to bring them back. Guys like Jimmy Butler, Leonard, Draymond Green, Middleton, and Harris. I like Aldridge and Milsap as well, since we'll probably let Monroe go, but no way either of them leaves their current teams. Matthews was someone I targeted before the injury, but I probably wouldn't gamble on an achilles tear.

I'm getting the feeling this is going to be a boring free agent season of role player acquisition when what we need is an impact player.

Bad news for anyone wanting Millsap or Carroll.

The Hawks will have about $25M in cap space this summer. So they will have no problem keeping either one if you they want.

I'd still throw a fat offer out to either one. Max for Sap, not exactly sure for Carroll. Make them pay up at least

.....I'm getting the feeling this is going to be a boring free agent season of role player acquisition when what we need is an impact player.

I agree as there may not be much star power available for the Pistons to sign or they probably do not want to play in Detroit.

I wish SVG could pull off a sign and trade deal involving Monroe.

I have even less interest in Stephenson now than I did 1 year ago.

Completely get that. I don't expect anyone to like him at this point, though he still intrigues me plenty. Main point of it is, take a 1 year flyer on Stephenson for ***** and giggles(and mostly eating the salary for Charlotte) while getting Vonleh as the actual value in the trade by doing so. Not sure if they do it, as Charlotte has cap space, but he'd be an ideal Jefferson replacement and they'd have room to pursue a shooter still, while getting Lance off their roster which seems to be a goal.

I don't think bringing Stephenson's cancer into the locker room is a priority for SVG going forward, just a guess.

And of course SVG is going to sign role players, he just needs to sign good ones.

The draft needs to be good to us.

Maybe we can get Charlotte to give us a 1st round pick to take Stephenson from them

That's basically what my trade was to be fair.

Maybe we can get Charlotte to give us a 1st round pick to take Stephenson from them

Did i miss charlotte hiring joe dumars?

Alright I'm throwing Middleton a max offer on July 1.

Why? Did you watch the game last night? He was non-existent, floating on the perimeter for most of the game and just hit a couple big shots at the end to send it to overtime before disappearing once again. KCP did that for us about a dozen times last year.

Watching him play, I just don't see where all the love is coming from. Sure he shot 40% from three this year, but so did Meeks the year before. In fact, Jodi's 2014 shooting stats are identical to Middleton's 2015 stats and people thought 6 Mil was too much for him. Middleton is a bit better defensively, but that doesn't make him a max player. He's no Leonard and Jimmy Butler has been taking it to him all series. I don't get it.

Why? Did you watch the game last night? He was non-existent, floating on the perimeter for most of the game and just hit a couple big shots at the end to send it to overtime before disappearing once again. KCP did that for us about a dozen times last year.

Watching him play, I just don't see where all the love is coming from. Sure he shot 40% from three this year, but so did Meeks the year before. In fact, Jodi's 2014 shooting stats are identical to Middleton's 2015 stats and people thought 6 Mil was too much for him. Middleton is a bit better defensively, but that doesn't make him a max player. He's no Leonard and Jimmy Butler has been taking it to him all series. I don't get it.

I wouldn't max Middleton I've decided, but his D is pretty damn good and I think Drummond and Jackson would get him a ton of open shots here. Milwaukee has nobody doing that. I never thought Meeks was in any way overpaid,I'll throw that in there.

Middleton does have 2 straight seasons at 40% too, so it doesn't appear to be an abberation. He moves well without the ball and has good size for either position. He's not a go to guy in any way though, but you gotta adapt to the times and true 3 and D guys have a ton of value now

Would guys like RJ, Middleton, Green and Monroe take just 1 year deals so they will be FAs next year when the cap goes up?

Would guys like RJ, Middleton, Green and Monroe take just 1 year deals so they will be FAs next year when the cap goes up?

I think a player switching teams will look hard at a 3 year deal with the third year a player option. Here is why I think that.

If a player switched teams via free agency, his Bird rights are lost. You need 3 years with a team for full Bird rights. So if you sign a one year deal the team you go to will need actual cap space to sign you even though you played for them the previous season. Now, with the cap going up so much that might not be a problem. But still something to consider.

If a player does the three year deal and opts out after two years, he would be considered an Early-Bird rights player. His team can now go over the cap to sign him, but only for 175% of his previous years salary. So if a player was making $16M you could sign him for $26.2M if you are over the cap. If you have the cap room, you can give him a max contract with no restrictions. Another reason this is a good idea. It makes you a free agent two years into the new TV deal, which is the summer where the cap is expected to top out. Perfect time to be a free agent. It also gives young guys like Monroe and Jackson a little security with the three year deal instead of a one year deal. For older guys who have been paid already, this might not be a huge deal.

If a player switches teams and does a full three years, he is a full Bird rights player. You can go over the cap to keep him with no restrictions.