Deleterious

2015 Pistons Off-Season

No time to make a detailed post so here is the CliffsNotes version.

As of yesterday, the Pistons are free to make trades with other teams whose season is over. As teams are eliminated from the playoffs, they can trade with them as well.

Pending free agents and players with any type of option next year (ETO, Player, Team) can not be traded.

May 19th - Draft lottery selection show. Here is how it works. The Pistons chances of landing the 1/2/3 pick are 2.8%, 3.3%, and 3.9%.

June 25th - Draft

June 30th - Any options have to be picked up or declined by midnight tonight. Butler and Tolliver are the two to worry about here.

July 1 - July 10th - Rosters are frozen. You cant sign or trade anyone. I think you can sign draft picks. The salary cap is set at this time and it is expected to be $66.5M.

July 1 - You can start to negotiate with free agents.

July 10 - You can now sign free agents. You can now make trades again.

Middle of July - Summer League usually starts around now. I'm sure we will get more details as it gets closer.

Like I said, the cap is expected to be $66.5M but we wont have a final number until the first week in July.

Here is a post about the Pistons cap situation. I think it is sort of up to date.

Since it is constantly brought up, you can't get a bigger contract in a sign-and-trade. They removed that in 2011 when the new CBA kicked in. Players being signed-and-traded sign the exact contract a free agent would with a new team. You no longer get the 5th year and bigger raises.

Oh yeah, Andre Drummond is eligible for an extension this summer. Even if he signs it this year, it wont kick in until the summer of 2016. Which means his new contract will fall under the much bigger salary cap. Lucky guy.

The new cap for 2016 is expected to be between $88M and $92M. At $88M a max deal for Andre looks like this.

[table=width: 500, class: grid]

[tr]

[td]1[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[td]4[/td]

[td]5[/td]

[td]Total[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]$22,000,000 [/td]

[td]$23,650,000[/td]

[td]$25,300,000 [/td]

[td]$26,950,000 [/td]

[td]$28,600,000 [/td]

[td]$126,500,000[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

ICarly ****ed up.

Here is how max deals look for this season based on the $66.5M cap number. So obviously these can change.

The 25/30/35% represents the percentage of the cap the player receives in the first year of his contract. The percentage is determined by years in the league.

0-6 years in the league is 25% (A few exceptions can make his higher)

7-9 is 30%.

10+ is 35%.

Top set is if you sign your own free agent (Bird rights). 5 years and 7.5% raises each year.

Bottom set is if you sign another teams free agent. 4 years and 4.5% raises each year.

[TABLE=width: 600]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Total[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]25%[/TD]

[TD]$16,625,000[/TD]

[TD]$17,871,875[/TD]

[TD]$19,118,750[/TD]

[TD]$20,365,625[/TD]

[TD]$21,612,500[/TD]

[TD]$95,593,750[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]30%[/TD]

[TD]$19,950,000[/TD]

[TD]$21,446,250[/TD]

[TD]$22,942,500[/TD]

[TD]$24,438,750[/TD]

[TD]$25,935,000[/TD]

[TD]$114,712,500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]35%[/TD]

[TD]$23,275,000[/TD]

[TD]$25,020,625[/TD]

[TD]$26,766,250[/TD]

[TD]$28,511,875[/TD]

[TD]$30,257,500[/TD]

[TD]$133,831,250[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]25%[/TD]

[TD]$16,625,000[/TD]

[TD]$17,373,125[/TD]

[TD]$18,121,250[/TD]

[TD]$18,869,375[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]$70,988,750[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]30%[/TD]

[TD]$19,950,000[/TD]

[TD]$20,847,750[/TD]

[TD]$21,745,500[/TD]

[TD]$22,643,250[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]$85,186,500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right]35%[/TD]

[TD]$23,275,000[/TD]

[TD]$24,322,375[/TD]

[TD]$25,369,750[/TD]

[TD]$26,417,125[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]$99,384,250[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Good thread to keep discussion consolidated and easy to follow. Good work, Del.

Here are a few links

'15 FA class- NBA free agents in 2015 and 2016

Salaries for all 30 teams- NBA Team Salaries - By Team | Basketball Insiders | NBA Rumors And Basketball News

I believe SVG and Bower are having a post-season media conference at 2:30 today. Wonder if there will be any hints at anything

Some advanced stats/metrics for the Pistons this year.

jjBK7xJ.png

ORPM: Player's estimated on-court impact on team offensive performance, measured in points scored per 100 offensive possessions

DRPM: Player's estimated on-court impact on team defensive performance, measured in points allowed per 100 defensive possessions

RPM: Player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions. RPM takes into account teammates, opponents and additional factors

WAR: The estimated number of team wins attributable to each player, based on RPM

....Oh yeah, Andre Drummond is eligible for an extension this summer. Even if he signs it this year, it wont kick in until the summer of 2016. Which means his new contract will fall under the much bigger salary cap. Lucky guy....

Has Drummond done enough or will he improve enough to be worth a gigantic max contract? Is it a given that Detroit must pay Drummond a max contract to keep him?

How is SVG going to deal with the resigning of Jackson? Is SVG going to offer Jackson a big contract to see if he takes it or will he just let him go out there to see what Jackson is worth and match what he gets offered?

Has Drummond done enough or will he improve enough to be worth a gigantic max contract? Is it a given that Detroit must pay Drummond a max contract to keep him?

How is SVG going to deal with the resigning of Jackson? Is SVG going to offer Jackson a big contract to see if he takes it or will he just let him go out there to see what Jackson is worth and match what he gets offered?

Drummond has not done enough to get a max offer but most guys who get one coming off of their rookie contract haven't done enough.

Gores called him a max player.

Pistons Envison Andre Drummond As Maximum Salary Player - RealGM Wiretap

If it was me handling the Jackson negotiations, I make a low but respectable offer and then see what the market prices him at.

Drummond has not done enough to get a max offer but most guys who get one coming off of their rookie contract haven't done enough.

Gores called him a max player.

Pistons Envison Andre Drummond As Maximum Salary Player - RealGM Wiretap

If it was me handling the Jackson negotiations, I make a low but respectable offer and then see what the market prices him at.

That's how I'd handle the Jackson situation as well. I think Bledsoe thought he'd get the max last year as a RFA. I don't think he's turning down something like 4/50 if he fails to get an offer sheet.

Drummond hasn't played like a max player yet, but Gores has to say that.

Edited by Nastradamus

I really think there is a deal ready to go that was agreed upon when the Jackson trade was made. This would explain why Jackson played like he had the whole city on his back and why both camps have been non-emotional about his pending RFA.

Drummond may not be a max player right now, but a 21 year-old that leads the L in offensive boards and is second in total rebounds deserves to be maxed as much as any other player does.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8uw6rjmrini1h8/2015%20NBA%20Free%20Agents.xlsx?dl=0

That is a spreadsheet for all of the free agents this year. Here is what each tab contains.

Info - Just some general info I use. Total/average league salary. Value of a WAR. Value of a win share.

Free Agents - List of all free agents, their position, current team, type of free agent, and this years salary. Key for type:

U - Unrestricted

R - Restricted

P - Player option

T - Team option

ETO - Early termination option

Per Game - Each free agents per game stats.

Per 100 - Each free agents per/100 stats.

Shooting - Shooting stats.

Advanced/Advanced2 - Each free agents advanced stats.

RPM - Their ORPM, DRPM, RPM, and WAR. Here is an explanation on RPM and WAR (Bottom of page).

WAR Value - I took all the players in the league, their salary, and determined how much teams were paying for one WAR ($2,438,037). I took that and multiplied by each free agents WAR total to get a value for that player. This would be a reference point for how much they should be paid per year. Difference is just (WAR Value - Salary) to see how much they were under/overpaid. A negative number here means you made too much money last year.

Win Share Value - Same as War Value but now we are using Win Shares ($1,650,604) instead of WAR.

Anyway, I just wanted something that made it easy for me to view all of the free agents and their stats in one spot. The original goal was to have this looking a lot nicer, but I don't have the time so it is what it is. If you download the spreadsheet every column has a filter on it so you can sort things how you want.

With the trades and the Jennings injury, .500 post Smith is pretty impressive IMO.

Not to mention the roster overhaul at the deadline with the loss of Augustin/Singler/Jerebko/Datome for Jackson/Prince/Williams/Miller.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8uw6rjmrini1h8/2015%20NBA%20Free%20Agents.xlsx?dl=0

That is a spreadsheet for all of the free agents this year. Here is what each tab contains.

Info - Just some general info I use. Total/average league salary. Value of a WAR. Value of a win share.

Free Agents - List of all free agents, their position, current team, type of free agent, and this years salary. Key for type:

U - Unrestricted

R - Restricted

P - Player option

T - Team option

ETO - Early termination option

Per Game - Each free agents per game stats.

Per 100 - Each free agents per/100 stats.

Shooting - Shooting stats.

Advanced/Advanced2 - Each free agents advanced stats.

RPM - Their ORPM, DRPM, RPM, and WAR. Here is an explanation on RPM and WAR (Bottom of page).

WAR Value - I took all the players in the league, their salary, and determined how much teams were paying for one WAR ($2,438,037). I took that and multiplied by each free agents WAR total to get a value for that player. This would be a reference point for how much they should be paid per year. Difference is just (WAR Value - Salary) to see how much they were under/overpaid. A negative number here means you made too much money last year.

Win Share Value - Same as War Value but now we are using Win Shares ($1,650,604) instead of WAR.

Anyway, I just wanted something that made it easy for me to view all of the free agents and their stats in one spot. The original goal was to have this looking a lot nicer, but I don't have the time so it is what it is. If you download the spreadsheet every column has a filter on it so you can sort things how you want.

I think I need a dropbox tutorial. All I get is this

Total League Salary $2,047,755,692

Average League Salary $4,550,568

Total WAR 839.92

Average WARA5 1.87

Price per WAR $2,438,037

Total Win Shares 1256

Average Win Shares 2.64

Total Win Share Salary $2,073,158,504

Average Win Shares Salary $4,364,544

Price Per Win Share $1,650,604

I think I need a dropbox tutorial. All I get is this

Total League Salary $2,047,755,692

Average League Salary $4,550,568

Total WAR 839.92

Average WARA5 1.87

Price per WAR $2,438,037

Total Win Shares 1256

Average Win Shares 2.64

Total Win Share Salary $2,073,158,504

Average Win Shares Salary $4,364,544

Price Per Win Share $1,650,604

On the bottom of the screen it has each tab just like an Excel spreadsheet.

If you have Excel I would just download it though. That way you can sort it by position, etc.

On the bottom of the screen it has each tab just like an Excel spreadsheet.

If you have Excel I would just download it though. That way you can sort it by position, etc.

ah ok,I didn't notice them down there and I'm not very tech savvy haha. No excel unfortunately.

ah ok,I didn't notice them down there and I'm not very tech savvy haha. No excel unfortunately.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rQGWHbWnkgGbb6Gidj41fuJh7rOiHCbTb6L20b0v8MY/edit?usp=sharing

I put it on Google Docs for you. You can sort it there with no problem.

If you wanted to sort the players on the Free Agent tab by position. Click "Free Agent List" then highlight the position column by click the letter "B". On the top menu select "Data" and that opens a drop down menu. Select "Filter" and that puts a little down arrow next to "POS" hit that arrow and a window opens up. Then just check/uncheck any positions you do/don't want to see. If you just check "C" it will just show you the centers, "PF" just the power forwards, etc.

You can do this with any column on any sheet.

I really hope people are watching some of these playoff games featuring players that the Pistons could pursue this offseason.

Clearly, Butler isn't going anywhere. There's no way the Bulls let him walk, no matter what they have to pay. He's a star.

Middleton is a solid player. Not spectacular, but solid.

I'd take either of them on the Pistons, but when you see the two next to each other you realize that one is a max player, the other is not. Middleton deserves a nice contract, but I'm not willing to offer him the max because he's just not that guy. Butler is what a max player looks like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rQGWHbWnkgGbb6Gidj41fuJh7rOiHCbTb6L20b0v8MY/edit?usp=sharing

I put it on Google Docs for you. You can sort it there with no problem.

If you wanted to sort the players on the Free Agent tab by position. Click "Free Agent List" then highlight the position column by click the letter "B". On the top menu select "Data" and that opens a drop down menu. Select "Filter" and that puts a little down arrow next to "POS" hit that arrow and a window opens up. Then just check/uncheck any positions you do/don't want to see. If you just check "C" it will just show you the centers, "PF" just the power forwards, etc.

You can do this with any column on any sheet.

wow, thanks man