Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Game 74: Hawks @ Pistons

So we had the 5-23 with Smith and the 0-10 stretch after the deadline moves. So a 5-33 stretch. That's 38 games. 46 % of the season completely pissed away.

I want to see this team next year with a clean slate.

9 Assists for Jackson in his first 12 min, not bad for a guy ESPN tabbed as the 25th best PG in the L.

Yeah behind the immortal Michael Carter Williams, Patrick Beverley and Jose Calderon. He's better than a handful of other guys as well. What a ridiculous list.

It kind of sucks that they won't get the 6th or 7th pick in all likelihood now because I really want Stanley Johnson who I think will be gone by 8 but I guess it's not a big deal really. The Pistons always seem to end up in this range anyway so we should be used to it by now.

Edited by NYLion

Point guards I would rather have than Jackson for '15/'16 (In no particular order)

Curry, Teague, Irving, Paul, Conley, Westbrook, Lillard, Lowry, Wall

I would take 9 guys over him

When all is said and done, as much as I'd like to get a better draft pick, it's much better to see us do very well with Jackson and to see him perform just as well. it would be a real bummer going into the offseason with Jackson having been complete garbage to end the season.

Ugh! My tanking dreams have....well....tanked.

There's not a whole lot of tanking left to be done.

They've been sitting in the #7/ #8 slot for quite awhile now. Currently #8, and I don't see them getting worse than that. Maybe they lose a few more and move up to #7.

But I'm banking on the #8 spot ATM, and I'm fine with that. A good spot for 1 of Porzingas (not likely), Cauley-Stein (not likely), Winslow, Hezonja or Johnson to fall to.

Good chance Winslow falls there. I like Porzingas more (3 & D stretch-4), but would be tickled to land Winslow, or even Hezonja.

Point guards I would rather have than Jackson for '15/'16 (In no particular order)

I can't even really call Irving a PG and feel good about it.

I would take Lowry and Conley off that list and add Bledsoe.

Jennings will play basketball next season. I think the Pistons should hold on to him and see what they get. It's only a one year deal. Jackson/Dinwiddie with JL III as insurance is fine by me

To my knowledge, Dan Dickau is the only pg to come back from a complete Achilles tear in the past two decades. Non-PGs like Nique and Kobe have done so with mixed results at advanced ages, so Jennings has youth and time on his side. Without his elite quickness Jennings may not be a very good option to even come off the bench, let alone next season.

Edit: was unaware that Chauncey's was indeed a complete. His stats before and after are night and day, as was his performance

Edited by mickeyb105

It'll be a little over 9 months post-surgery on Opening Night for Jennings. Give him another couple months and he will play. I am not saying he will be great, but it'll be worth a look considering our backup will be still very young. Plus if KCP is still inconsistent as hell and Meeks cant make a jumper, he could have a large role if he's somewhat back to form at some point.

I tend to agree with Del that nobody will really trade for him.

I can't even really call Irving a PG and feel good about it.

I would take Lowry and Conley off that list and add Bledsoe.

Yeah Bledsoe could be added but I was thinking of him more as an off guard because of his role in PHX

It'll be a little over 9 months post-surgery on Opening Night for Jennings. Give him another couple months and he will play. I am not saying he will be great, but it'll be worth a look considering our backup will be still very young. Plus if KCP is still inconsistent as hell and Meeks cant make a jumper, he could have a large role if he's somewhat back to form at some point.

I tend to agree with Del that nobody will really trade for him.

Could they cut him and stretch out his remaining salary, seeing as the cap is going up so much?

I don't think Jennings is an NBA rotation player when he comes back, at least not right away. It is such a different and more devastating injury than an ACL.

Yeah Bledsoe could be added but I was thinking of him more as an off guard because of his role in PHX

Since they traded Dragon and little Zeke he's been the PG over Knight and has been a turnover machine. But I still love him in spite of it.

Could they cut him and stretch out his remaining salary, seeing as the cap is going up so much?

I don't think Jennings is an NBA rotation player when he comes back, at least not right away. It is such a different and more devastating injury than an ACL.

I would take my chances with him returning and giving them something rather than stretching him out.

There's a few more guys that I would take over him as well until he proves that he can do this over an entire season but to have him at 25 is absurd.

So here is the Post-Smith Era (PSE)

Record: 24-22

Home: 14-8

Away: 10-14

Plus losing Jennings for the year, Monroe for a while and making 2 major trades.

I don't know how you wouldn't be encouraged to see the way AD and Jackson are playing off of eachother right now going into next season. Even seems to be opening things up a bit for the shooters as we've shot 37% from 3 since Moose left. I am completely guess but I think with AD Moose and Jackson clogging the lane on their own to some extent, perhaps D's could worry less about interior D and pressure the shooters more. Again, making it up, haven't seen a single game being here in Massachusetts...so I'm probably completely wrong

I don't know how you wouldn't be encouraged to see the way AD and Jackson are playing off of eachother right now going into next season. Even seems to be opening things up a bit for the shooters as we've shot 37% from 3 since Moose left. I am completely guess but I think with AD Moose and Jackson clogging the lane on their own to some extent, perhaps D's could worry less about interior D and pressure the shooters more. Again, making it up, haven't seen a single game being here in Massachusetts...so I'm probably completely wrong

Hot streak.

December 23rd to January 23rd they shot 37.7% from three.

They are executing the pick and roll well now which is leading to that 3rd defender cheating toward the paint. And Jackson all of the sudden looks like he's been running this offense for 4 years. He's been very intelligent about setting up Andre, hitting the 3rd guy for the 3, finishing with the floater or driving further to finish at the rim or kick out to the 4th guy for 3.

If they actually get some guys that can shoot, this hot streak (which as Del says, it definitely is) should be more of the norm, IMO.

I have faith in SVG making Jackson into a good starting PG. Jackson has the physical tools Jennings/Augustin lacked, and is now displaying the ability to run an offense. Jackson and Drummond can become a deadly pick and roll threat if they develop together.

Three point percentages since the 17th. Career averages in parentheses.

Jackson 46% (29%)

Butler 50% (34%)

Prince 45% (37%)

Tolliver 39% (35%)

Meeks is right on his career average.

KCP is about 2 points lower.

Three point percentages since the 17th. Career averages in parentheses.

Jackson 46% (29%)

Butler 50% (34%)

Prince 45% (37%)

Tolliver 39% (35%)

Meeks is right on his career average.

KCP is about 2 points lower.

I don’t see Butler, Prince or Tolliver being a part of the future, so it doesn’t really matter.

Jackson is at an age where his shooting can still improve, and if he can develop elite skills in other areas (like driving the basket/finishing, pick & roll, etc) then even average outside shooting is okay. Guys like Parker and Wade have had nice, HOF careers as championship PGs without being deadly outside shooters.

I don’t see Butler, Prince or Tolliver being a part of the future, so it doesn’t really matter.

Jackson is at an age where his shooting can still improve, and if he can develop elite skills in other areas (like driving the basket/finishing, pick & roll, etc) then even average outside shooting is okay. Guys like Parker and Wade have had nice, HOF careers as championship PGs without being deadly outside shooters.

I'm not sure pointing out the handful of exceptions is such a great argument.

I'm not sure pointing out the handful of exceptions is such a great argument.

I think everybody is aware that the odds are against Jackson turning into a championship PG. The odds are 1/100 of about any player. The odds of the Pistons (or any team without a HOF level player) winning the championship in the next 5 years are probably 1/100.

So pretty much any scenario where someone compliments a player could be shot down with a "yeah but." But fandom is all relative, so I think it misses the point.

For me the questions that I'd ask are:

1. what 3 pt percentage does Jackson need to shoot to be worth what he is likely to get paid in the off-season - and -

2. how likely is he to shoot it, presuming the rest of his game is as one could reasonably project it to be moving forward.

I don't think he will shoot as poor as 29% moving forward or as good as 47% moving forward, and I further think he will be closer to 29% than 47%.