Sydney_Fife

Game 71: Raptors @ Pistons

Why would any team press Reggie Jackson? Just sag off him and dare him to shoot.

I would press Jackson with an elite man defender or because I don't think he's the best ball handler in the world, but otherwise it doesn't make sense.

The Raptors actually had success doubling Jackson. He looked a little lost when they did that and he killed them when it was single man.

Pretty entertaining game.

It was disheartening to see Raptors fans greatly outnumber Pistons fans in the Palace, it shows how far this franchise has fallen although Raptor fans always seem to come out in droves to the Palace even when the Pistons are good.

Reggie Jackson had another good game but man, he has one ugly shot. If he ever had a jump shot, he would be an elite offensive player.

It boggles my mind that a professional basketball player can throw up as many airballs from the free throw line as Drummond does. Come on Andre, work on your freaking free throws.

We had a birthday party type gathering so didn't watch closely but sure seemed like Rap's players were looking hard at PG after the shot.

When was the last time Mateen was on a broadcast? Was he fired? Double secret probation?

He was on the TNT/Turner coverage of the NCAA Tournament pretty heavily last Thursday-Sunday, so it could be he's off Pistons games until that gig wraps up.

When was the last time Mateen was on a broadcast? Was he fired? Double secret probation?

He is doing the NCAA's at the moment.

Mateen: So glad he's been gone. I hope he's moved on to college coverage permanently so I never have to see him again.

Nice to see Toronto invade the Palace again and have to keep their mouths shut most of the game. The last time was brutal.

Another really nice game from Jackson, KCP, and Drummond. The three look like they're coming together as Monroe sits on the bench. If/when Monroe comes back I'm curious to see what happens. Does the offense start to bog down again or is it simply a matter of Jackson acclimating to the team? I guess we'll find out. Either way, I think Monroe is gone this off-season. Stan will say all the right things but in the end I don't think having two Centers in the starting 5 fits what Stan wants to do with this team.

I liked Jackson's style yesterday, getting the team involved in the first half and attacking in the second half. If his play over the past week is an indication of things to come then I'll start to feel better about Stan's plan to bring him back. Yes, he has to work on his shot because defenders will sag off of him, but plenty of guys have used the pick n roll attack as their bread and butter without a reliable deep threat in their arsenal (Rondo, Wade, Parker, etc). Clearly we'll need shooters around him and Dre to make that work...and I don't mean Meeks. Ugh.

Williams should never play. Never. He's terrible and he's never looked anything but terrible since the day we got him. He's there so we can have enough guys for a scrimmage in practice and in case someone (else) ruptures an achilles. There's zero reason to ever give him minutes. Ever. Am I clear? Never. Ever. Ever. Ok, now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Tay was killing me last night. I can't even count the number of times we ran the play, it resulted in him catching the ball for an open look, and then he pumped faked. What then? Nope, he didn't try to go by the guy when he was in the air (because he can't). He didn't try to jump into the guy and get the foul (because he never does that for some reason). He simply killed the play and we had to go improv for a bad shot with 5 second left on the clock. I really can't wait to address the SF position this off-season.

Oh, and I'm really liking the potential I see in Dinwiddie. He's looking like a steal where Stan drafted him and could be a solid backup or pinch starter in this league as he matures.

Edited by Betrayer