Motor City Sonics

Traded Prospects: Are any of them causing regret?

I was thinking about all the prospects the Tigers have traded in their "win now" mode of the last half-decade.

Have any of them turned out to be players you really regret losing?

Andrew Miller is a good pitcher, but is he great and will pitching half a season in Yankee Stadium cause problems?

Cameron Maybin - he's barely a reserve outfielder

Jacob Turner - Already been traded again and will he even make the lowly Cubs roster?

Charlie Furbush is a positive player, but not one you really miss (and we got a couple great years out of Fister).

Drew Smyly looks like he might be for real, but....David Price..........I mean David Price.

So, I ask you, are there any prospects you regret the Tigers trading away.

And if so many of their top prospects are not turning out to be players you regret losing, how bad does that make the Tiger scouting look?

Just waiting for Moya to be part of the package that brings Adrian Beltre here in July.

Did you guys know MCS wants the Tigers to trade for Beltre?

A better question might be how many players have the Tigers drafted over the last 6 years that have turned into plus players?

Looks like Castellanos is going to be a nice player, though perhaps only as a DH by the time he's 26, Smyly looks great...

A better question might be how many players have the Tigers drafted over the last 6 years that have turned into plus players?

Looks like Castellanos is going to be a nice player, though perhaps only as a DH by the time he's 26, Smyly looks great...

Exactly.

Smyly is the one to watch. We'll see if Dave's crystal ball failed him there or not.

Mcs, dont look now but the cubs arent exactly lowly anymore.

Would you rather have the cubs' organization's talent right now or the tigers'? Its a closer call than you think.

2010: Castellanos, Smyly

2009: Turner

2008: Perry, Avila

2007: porcello, Furbush

The Tigers have drafted one above-average player (Smyly) since 2007. Avila has been ok. Castellanos could be a very good one-dimensional player. Outside of that, nothing of note. This is embarrassing. Hard to say what will come of the last few drafts but nothing stands out as of yet.

The lesson here: keep making trades Dave. I'm generally leery of trading top prospects due to the financial gains they can give you, but the Tigers have no clue how to draft and develop talent.

Edited by Yoda

I should have probably noted McCann in 2011 because he may very well be the starting catcher next year, but who knows if he'll be any good. He's a marginal prospect at this point.

I would say that Porcello and Avila are at least average and that any player that can be average for several years in the majors is a pretty valuable player. Porcello hasn't missed a start in six years while maintaining an ERA about average for a starter. Avila has produced like an average catcher offensively and has been a strong defender. I would consider both of them to be very successful draft picks. The Tigers player development record has not been good, but I wouldn't call it embarrassing.

I agree on Porcello, that's why I bolded him. I just meant since then there hasn't been much of anything. Smyly plus an average catcher. That should be pretty embarrassing, IMO. Castellanos becoming the hitter I think he can will help out a lot.

A baseball team has about 20 everyday players - good major leaguers average probably at about 10 yrs per career. You only have to hit on an average of about one per year to have a 50% home grown team.

I think I would add in some level of credit for major league ready players that Dave has obtained from other orgs' farm systems when considering his MiLB talent acquisition grading. You can scout high schools, colleges, overseas, and other teams MiLB teams as well. Picking up guys who haven't quite proved their worth seems to be a major part of Dombrowski's method, and those acquistions are scouting based, even if not through the draft directly - Austin Jackson, Scherzer, etc....

I think one thing Dombrowski does do right that looks bad in the rankings but is probably actually the better strategy is that he does not collect guys at high minor league levels behind his starters. He moves a lot of talent while it is still promising but very young. I think having any xs of good players at AAA is only a good strategy for a bad team, for a good team it represents unrealized value.

Not many players from the draft even turn out and sorry but anyone after say round 6 is pure luck.

If I'm not mistaken, the Tigers minor league system ranks dead last. Totally inexcusable!

I regret trading Avisail Garcia for what is probably a weak hitter in Iglesias.

Yeah, I know about the issues with Fielder and his missus,

AND I know that Garcia would have been YET ANOTHER talented outfielder on the roster when we really need good defensive infielders,

BUT, I just cannot get that feeling that Garcia with the White Sox will come back to haunt us in a big way!

The Garcia trade had nothing to do with Fielder. The Tigers needed a shortstop when Peralta was suspended. Besides, Iglesias for Garcia was a pretty fair trade that could go either way.

The Garcia trade had nothing to do with Fielder. The Tigers needed a shortstop when Peralta was suspended. Besides, Iglesias for Garcia was a pretty fair trade that could go either way.

The fact that they needed a ss doesnt mean they had to trade a potential good player in garcia to get one.

Not to mention that iglesias was damaged goods which they didnt see.

That trade also sticks in my craw. Not as bad as the fister debacle but still not good.

You aren't going to get a MLB caliber shortstop in the middle of a pennant race without trading something of value in return. I think people are rating Garcia too highly. He's far from a sure thing.

You aren't going to get a MLB caliber shortstop in the middle of a pennant race without trading something of value in return. I think people are rating Garcia too highly. He's far from a sure thing.

It doesnt mean they had to trade garcia. And it doesnt mean they had to trade for iglesias either.

It doesnt mean they had to trade garcia. And it doesnt mean they had to trade for iglesias either.

Who else were they going to trade that anyone wanted? It's not like they have a stacked system of prospects from which to choose. And who else were they going to get other than Iglesias on such short notice? They needed to replace Peralta at a very important point in the season.

Who else were they going to trade that anyone wanted? It's not like they have a stacked system of prospects from which to choose. And who else were they going to get other than Iglesias on such short notice? They needed to replace Peralta at a very important point in the season.

I dont know lee. They didnt have a stacked system at the deadline last year and somehow came up with enough to snag david freaking price. Was avi garcia the ONLY guy who ANYONE wanted that year? I doubt it.

I give them a pass on the Iglesias trade because they had a real chance of winning the World Series that year. Unlike last year, where you didn't get the feeling they were the best team in the Playoffs, in 2013, I think they had their best chance and they blew it, although with a healthy Cabrera they probably knock off the Red Sox.

I dont know lee. They didnt have a stacked system at the deadline last year and somehow came up with enough to snag david freaking price. Was avi garcia the ONLY guy who ANYONE wanted that year? I doubt it.

The difference is Drew Smyly.

They traded Austin Jackson and Drew Smyly to get Price. They couldn't afford to trade those guys in 2013 unless there was a star shortstop available which doesn't seem likely.

I actually thought Garcia for Iglesias was a good trade at the time. After finding out about Iglesias' shins, I'm not so sure, but if Iglesias is truly healthy again, I still like the trade.

They traded Austin Jackson and Drew Smyly to get Price. They couldn't afford to trade those guys in 2013 unless there was a star shortstop available which doesn't seem likely.

I actually thought Garcia for Iglesias was a good trade at the time. After finding out about Iglesias' shins, I'm not so sure, but if Iglesias is truly healthy again, I still like the trade.

Jose does look like a 'in a league of his own' guy with the glove, though I was dissappointed in his coverage of 2nd on a steal today. Didn't really get in good position to make the tag by the shortest route.