Deleterious

Game 67: Grizzlies @ Pistons

He had a big hand in all three titles the organization owns.

True. I didn't give him credit for the championships when he was playing.

What a great player. I think I'm too disappointed in him running the club, too recent, to include.

Then again, he did bring us a championship.

People love to bask in Joe D's failures--Darko, Charlie V and Ben Gordon especially. And to be sure, his gambles didn't always makes sense or pay off.

I really think he was good at getting value in the 2nd round in particular: Middleton, Singler, JJ, Amir, Okur, and Cardinal IIRC. That's an All-Star, two solid starters and some nice role players (who all, oddly, quite resemble one another--lol).

His first rounders are a mixed bag with zero AS appearances in the lot.

The good: Drummond, Monroe, Afflalo, Delfino, Prince

The average: Knight, KCP, Stuckey, Maxiell

The bad: Daye, Cleaves

The ugly: White, Darko

What Joe D did do in his early years as an executive is attract better coaches and slightly better FAs to Detroit. And of course the Hill trade, acquisitions of Rip/Billups/Sheed were brilliant.

In many ways, Darko was Detroit's Len Bias--a player drafted 2nd overall who was supposed to ensure the prominence of the franchise for the next decade. While Darko didn't die of a drug overdose, he killed off a piece of the universal respect Joe D commanded from the basketball world. Charlie V, Gordon and the hiring of his buddy Michael Curry ensured his exodus out of town IMO. In many ways, I am glad Joe finally left because it hurt to see him flailing so badly and getting killed for it by the fans.

SVG was the perfect catalyst for the franchise in need of one, maybe mainly because it mostly diverted the attention away from Joe D's failures and made the fans think about how the team was eventually going to improve in spite of long odds.

You can call it the Hill trade, but it was more of Hill leaving and we needed to take some players back iirc.

True. I didn't give him credit for the championships when he was playing.

One thing I noticed as a teen watching the Pistons was when Zeke was out hurt, Dumars would step up and the Pistons weren't that much worse. But whenever Dumars (wasn't it his wrist one year?) was hurt and VJ had to start, the team suffered greater. Perhaps it was his defense, perhaps it was the fact that VJ was taken away from the bench unit that needed his scoring. But mostly I think it was because Dumars was the ultimate combo guard--one that would have started at point for at least 10 teams in the L and a top-5 shooting guard in his prime. Similar to Sidney Moncrief, who just couldn't stay healthy enough to still be talked about.

Dumars is known for his jumper but there were few guards his size who were better finishing off a drive up through the championship years. I always thought that Dumars tried to will Stuckey and Knight to be the type of player he was, but it is tough to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

You can call it the Hill trade, but it was more of Hill leaving and we needed to take some players back iirc.

I'll call it that all day, just as I will call it the Monroe trade this summer.

Dumars for me.

Isiah

Laimbeer

B. Wallace

Dumars

Rodman

Mahorn

I got soured on the "going to work" Pistons for all those times they lost to inferior teams in the playoffs. For me, nothing tops the bad boys finally beating the Celtics.

I can't believe there is no love for Fennis Dembo, Scott Hastings, Allen "We Talkin about Practice" Iverson, or James "Buddha" Edwards.

Edited by nd1377

I think Sheed might be mine. He gave me confidence that they could win any game no matter how slim the chance seemed case in point gm 6 in San Antonio. Laimbeer is up there too, but I hated him when I was a kid but love him now.

Sheed and laimbeer. Talk about one guy who did so little with so much and another who did so much with so little.

Sheed and laimbeer. Talk about one guy who did so little with so much and another who did so much with so little.

That's why Sheed is one of my least favorite Pistons of all time. I have zero respect for a guy who has all the talent and just decides that he might occasionally decide to give it some effort.

Based upon that, it should be no surprise that my favorite Piston of all time is Ben Wallace.

That entire 04 team seemed to have underachieved so much that I have hard time considering any of them to make my favorites list. They didn't

I probably liked Sheed the most. Tough minded player. You weren't going to get in his head. Rip was amazing the way he ran curls. He'd run a curl and wouldn't get the ball so he'd immediately turn around and run a curl to the other side. Nonstop running.

Edit...underachieved after 04.