Deleterious

Game 63: Pistons @ Lakers

We're currently slotted in at #8 but they way were tanking we might be able to move up considerably.

And since cleveland isnt in the lottery we're not likely to get jumped this year.

We're currently slotted in at #8 but they way were tanking we might be able to move up considerably.

And since cleveland isnt in the lottery we're not likely to get jumped this year.

Tankathon - NBA Draft Tracker

5th is a real possibility IMO.

The good news. The 9-14 teams are playing a lot better than Detroit right now. So moving down isn't much of a possibility.

Given his performance, why would we want to spend big money on jackson? And given what he has already rejected from okc, it would take big money to get him.

Why would anybody else either? I don't think he's going to get the 4/48 he was after. We might see a lot of guys this offseason sign smaller contracts in anticipation of the projected future caps anyway. So far this guy is a poorer shooting/less defensive version Brandon Knight. He needs some PG lessons from Dinwiddie.

Only bad thing about this is I think the more they lose the less chance they have of keeping Monroe. Monroe/Drummond is a good combination, always a legit C on the floor with them.

Edited by DrWho17

Big market teams like Los Angeles and New York both need PG's, need to make a splash, and both have a lot of cap space. It wouldn't shock me if he gets a big offer from one of them.

If he gets a big offer I say they let him walk. He's good but he's not worth 14 million a year. At that point we could roll with Dinwiddie and try signing Mo Williams and play the waiting game on Jennings. It just makes no sense to me to give Jackson a huge deal like that.

If Jackson and Monroe leave we will have a ton of cap space. We will be able to throw a max contract around and sign at least one big free agent.

I would invest my time and effort in developing Dinwiddie rather than overpay to keep a guy like Jackson. With their length and athleticism, Dinwiddie and KCP could be a dominant backcourt defensively. Will the offense come along ? We'll see....

Yeah, I'm just not on board with giving him a big contract. Jennings will be 9 months post-injury on opening night. They could add a backup in free agency and have Dinwiddie as a safety net. I wouldn't match a big offer sheet, honestly.

They should focus all their resources on Monroe. He's their best player and I think they should make every effort to sign him. If they can surround him and Drummond with shooters I think it can work.

If he gets a big offer I say they let him walk. He's good but he's not worth 14 million a year. At that point we could roll with Dinwiddie and try signing Mo Williams and play the waiting game on Jennings. It just makes no sense to me to give Jackson a huge deal like that.

If Jackson and Monroe leave we will have a ton of cap space. We will be able to throw a max contract around and sign at least one big free agent.

I think we can write Jennings off at this point from a Piston perspective. He's not likely to be able to come back and prove himself in time to be a factor before his contract is up next year. I don't see him playing into the Piston's future at this point. If Jackson isn't the answer, we need to start looking elsewhere. Of course, from what I've read SVG is giving Jackson all the assurances that we want him back.

On the cap space discussion, we also need to remember that just because we have the money to sign a big free agent doesn't mean we'll be able to. The big names aren't coming to Detroit, especially with us being a lottery team. You'd almost rather see Stan be able to pull of an S&T with Monroe and/or Jackson to get a player under an existing contract.

Yeah, I'm just not on board with giving him a big contract. Jennings will be 9 months post-injury on opening night. They could add a backup in free agency and have Dinwiddie as a safety net. I wouldn't match a big offer sheet, honestly.

They should focus all their resources on Monroe. He's their best player and I think they should make every effort to sign him. If they can surround him and Drummond with shooters I think it can work.

Work in terms of being respectable, sure. But I think if Monroe is the best player on a team, then that team is still looking for the guy that is going to be the centerpiece.

I think jennings is done here unfortunately. Achilles injuries are hard to come back from.

Given his performance, why would we want to spend big money on jackson? And given what he has already rejected from okc, it would take big money to get him.

I think he's being put in a pretty impossible spot right now, taking over as a team's floor general midseason,in a new system and a new role. He's pressing for a contract a bit too. SVG traded for him because he had seen him play and knew what he was. His mind likely won't change in 30 games