slim pickens

Suh signs with Dolphins.....

Wow, good thing Mayhew didn't offer him that. Way too much money for a DT.

Not it's time to spread that cash around.

Yeah, that's a whole lot of money. I guess we are going to have to see how Mayhew uses the money that would have been going to Suh.

Good riddance. Seemed like an articulate guy when he wanted to be. But his stupidity at critical moments of football games was just not necessary, and all he did was give the team a black eye. Instead of being a leader, he was a whiner and shunned the media when he should have stood up like a man. The fact remains, he's not a piece that will put a team over the top. And while Miami feels like it needs to make a splash to be relevant, they will regret this deal in a matter of months. At the end of the day, in Suh, you have a guy who wants the cash and is willing to go to the highest bidder- period. That tells me his primary interest is in himself and not in winning championships. I"m not saying he should have stayed with the lions to have the best chance to win championships. But he sure as heck will never win squat in Miami. I suppose he will have a nice beach house, and that appears to be all he wants.

I am pretty sure that Suh told them a long time ago that he had no real interest in playing in a dirty, depressing city like Detroit. Now he gets the most money and gets to play in a glamorous party town. They can be fine without him, but I don't trust Mayhew.

Saying Mayhew is a good GM because he followed Millen is like saying Jason Thompson was fast because he followed Rusty Staub.

Saying Mayhew is a good GM because he followed Millen is like saying Jason Thompson was fast because he followed Rusty Staub.

LOL

Defensive tackles are a replaceable position. The fact is, this team has not come close to winning with Suh, and the Dolphins won't win with him either. They haven't had a winning season in 6 years and now they locked up a huge part of their payroll on a guy who will likely only have 2-3 decent years left. Statistically speaking, years 7 & 8 sees a very sharp decline on average, for a D lineman.

The fact remains, the lions would have had to offer north of $119M to beat this offer, when you adjust out for the state taxes he would pay in Michigan vs. no tax in Florida. They weren't going to do that, particularly with the amount of guaranteed money he got. It is a fact though- Suh can't say he's about winning at all. He's going to a crappy team who is at the cap in the prime of his career. He's all about the money- period.

well, that's that. Now we can move on. I like sports, but sports soap operas? not so much.

Good riddance. Seemed like an articulate guy when he wanted to be. But his stupidity at critical moments of football games was just not necessary, and all he did was give the team a black eye. Instead of being a leader, he was a whiner and shunned the media when he should have stood up like a man. The fact remains, he's not a piece that will put a team over the top. And while Miami feels like it needs to make a splash to be relevant, they will regret this deal in a matter of months. At the end of the day, in Suh, you have a guy who wants the cash and is willing to go to the highest bidder- period. That tells me his primary interest is in himself and not in winning championships. I"m not saying he should have stayed with the lions to have the best chance to win championships. But he sure as heck will never win squat in Miami. I suppose he will have a nice beach house, and that appears to be all he wants.

Pretty much none of this matters though. Who cares whether a player talks to the media or wants more money, or what public opinion is of the Lions? The only thing that matters is wins. Suh was a serious run stuffer, played his tail off and never gave up on plays, was on the field every week, led the league in QB pressures at his position, is in the prime of his career, required 2 guys from the other team to block, was our D's intimidation factor that instilled fear, and absolutely IS the kind of player that puts a team over the top. He’s the difference between 11-5 and 8-8.

I agree with you about Miami, though. Don’t see a SB in Suh’s future there – that team still has a lot of holes

Pretty much none of this matters though. Who cares whether a player talks to the media or wants more money, or what public opinion is of the Lions? The only thing that matters is wins. Suh was a serious run stuffer, played his tail off and never gave up on plays, was on the field every week, led the league in QB pressures at his position, is in the prime of his career, required 2 guys from the other team to block, was our D's intimidation factor that instilled fear, and absolutely IS the kind of player that puts a team over the top. He’s the difference between 11-5 and 8-8.

I agree with you about Miami, though. Don’t see a SB in Suh’s future there – that team still has a lot of holes

It matters when the player has such a history of misconduct that he is susceptible of being suspended every week he hits the field. When he almost got himself taken off the field for the Dallas game, I was done with him. That was just pure stupidity.

Being a run stopper is nice and all. But this is a passing league now. The lions will be better off addressing their defense in a more holistic way. I don't have confidence Mayhew can do that, but that is really what needs to happen.

Defensive tackles are a replaceable position. The fact is, this team has not come close to winning with Suh, and the Dolphins won't win with him either. They haven't had a winning season in 6 years and now they locked up a huge part of their payroll on a guy who will likely only have 2-3 decent years left. Statistically speaking, years 7 & 8 sees a very sharp decline on average, for a D lineman.

The fact remains, the lions would have had to offer north of $119M to beat this offer, when you adjust out for the state taxes he would pay in Michigan vs. no tax in Florida. They weren't going to do that, particularly with the amount of guaranteed money he got. It is a fact though- Suh can't say he's about winning at all. He's going to a crappy team who is at the cap in the prime of his career. He's all about the money- period.

They actually were close last year – and he was a big part of it. After watching the way GB, Dallas, and Seattle played in the playoffs I didn't see a heck of a lot of difference between those 3 and the Lions. I honestly think it could've been any of the 4 in the SB – the ball just happened to bounce Seattle's way (literally).

You're absolutely right about the insane amount of money. I just don't think Suh's loss can be downplayed – he was a major reason for last year's success

Our long, national nightmare is over. Thank god.

This is where Mayhew earns his money. He effed up the Suh situation, but he has an opportunity to turn it into gold and make the Lions an even stronger team than they would be had they signed him.

Am I wrong to think that free agent signings have been his strength as a GM thus far?

They actually were close last year – and he was a big part of it. After watching the way GB, Dallas, and Seattle played in the playoffs I didn't see a heck of a lot of difference between those 3 and the Lions. I honestly think it could've been any of the 4 in the SB – the ball just happened to bounce Seattle's way (literally).

You're absolutely right about the insane amount of money. I just don't think Suh's loss can be downplayed – he was a major reason for last year's success

Respectfully, the Lions were not in the same league as any of those 3 teams- or New England, who eventually won it-even with Suh on the team. I still think they have a bigger issue with their QB than they do with losing Suh. You can't win in this league with a guy who doesn't know where the ball will land half the time.

It matters when the player has such a history of misconduct that he is susceptible of being suspended every week he hits the field. When he almost got himself taken off the field for the Dallas game, I was done with him. That was just pure stupidity.

Being a run stopper is nice and all. But this is a passing league now. The lions will be better off addressing their defense in a more holistic way. I don't have confidence Mayhew can do that, but that is really what needs to happen.

I share your lack of confidence in Mayhew stanpapi

Not at all. Based on how the beat writers have been talking, I'd expect Dan Williams to be joining us and probably Fairley being back. Those two together may cost 9 mil total.

They have to find a pass rusher now. Their edge rushers are weak. Ansah needs to take a step up. Replacing suh's ability to stop the run AND pressure the qb from a dt spot will be impossible. Need to add other positions.

Would you trade up for one of the elite pass rushers in the draft?

No. But I would jump all over Bud Dupree if he falls to us.

Would you make a run at greg hardy?

I wouldn't be opposed to it. I think he may want to go with a one year deal to recalibrate his market, so I could see playing across from Ziggy and next to Fairley being enticing.

If they could get an elite pass rusher, sign fairley and keep him healthy and interested (ha!), and draft a dt in round one they might be ok.